Author Topic: It’s that time of year - 2018 Race Board Gossip ?  (Read 50055 times)

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
Re: It’s that time of year - 2018 Race Board Gossip ?
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2018, 07:44:49 AM »
I think that is the idea being the Infinity Blackfish and the Naish Maliko been "sprint" boards.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2018, 08:03:03 AM »
I saw - maybe - the new Strike at the London race at the weekend. But it looked like maybe an old Falcon-style boof-nosed Board was still the weapon to be on if you are an elite paddler in that overall format of races (ie. where short technical sprints are weighted highly)?

Also, why did I not see more UK racers in the elite races in London at the APP World Tour event? It looked like a couple of UK women didn’t turn up? Or maybe the UK racers simply weren’t sufficiently near the front to get coverage (I was watching on the web because my train line to the venue was closed this weekend!)? I saw Marie but I think that was about it. Mind you,the coverage did go on and off - it looked like the website went down at the times of peak traffic.

It was by invitation only. Most of the uk ladies & men were in the pro am. Marie had to be wildcarded to be in the elite race apparently. The coverage was crap and I still don’t know the results in all the events. Personally I didn’t fancy it and was getting ready for a bike race and having spoke to a few paddlers there, I made the right call.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 08:07:57 AM by ukgm »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2018, 08:36:41 AM »
Well that’s very strange for the women’s events because the impression given was that there weren’t many racers.

Tricky location. The event was unlucky in that two of the main railway systems into and around London were disrupted at the weekend. And of course there is the World Cup football...but putting that aside there is the issue that the water in the Thames really isn’t suitable for immersion sports. You’d need a hazmat suit if you are going to be falling in regularly - and several of the elites did, courtesy of their very narrow boards these days.

It was pretty amazing to see Kai, Connor, Mo, Travis, Michael, Candice etc paddle in the UK though. I hope they get to paddle elsewhere in the UK  and not just go home with the impression that all the UK has to offer is a dirty river, no air con, and traffic congestion.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2018, 01:45:37 AM »
On the up side one thing UK sure doesn't need is AirCon.

Even if they emit "heat wave" warnings when outdoor air temps might reach 15C (59F).

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2018, 02:32:01 AM »
On the up side one thing UK sure doesn't need is AirCon.

Even if they emit "heat wave" warnings when outdoor air temps might reach 15C (59F).
Actually, the reason I said that is that there is a heatwave in the UK right now that has been going on for some time. It is set perhaps to be the hottest summer since 1976. New records have been set, the train lines are buckling because of the heat, and where I live the tarmac in the road is melting. In my workplace, people are gathering in one of the large rooms downstairs rather than in their offices where there is no air con. The paddlers in London were complaining about the heat - in the centre of town surrounded by buildings and with little open space it can easily get over 30C - and unlike other countries which have this kind of heat regularly, we are not set up for it. It’s tough at night when the temperatures hardly drop and you don’t have air con and are used to a chilly climate.

At home, I can’t go anywhere in the car at weekends because I live near the sea: the roads are completely jammed from 10am to 8pm with tourists. It’s a 3 mile round trip walk to the shops. It’s because the sea is over 20C (more like 24C in local spots when the tide comes in) and for once in the UK you don’t need a wetsuit. The water yesterday actually felt warm to the touch.

These are temperatures that would be completely unremarkable in many other countries and would hardly even be noticed. But here is it causing quite a lot of diruption and discomfort. The pollution and pollen issue goes through the roof in London when it gets this hot week after week with no rain or wind. Not ideal conditions for doing a long distance SUP race.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2018, 04:43:31 AM »
I think that is the idea being the Infinity Blackfish and the Naish Maliko been "sprint" boards.

I think its merely that a lot of pro's travel not knowing exactly what multiple races will throw at them so they just opt for a board that covers all the practical bases and assume there is little between them anyway. I know that's not true but you can't expect athletes to be scientists or engineers as well.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2018, 05:32:51 AM »

I think its merely that a lot of pro's travel not knowing exactly what multiple races will throw at them so they just opt for a board that covers all the practical bases and assume there is little between them anyway. I know that's not true but you can't expect athletes to be scientists or engineers as well.
It’s ironic that in the London *sprint* event, held in protected pure flatwater conditions, was won a planing nose board, with a board called “Maliko” coming second, with the board called the “Sprint” managing only third. In fact, I think three of the top 4 finishers were on planing nose “all-waters” ones.

Maybe Starboard should rename the Sprint? It won a (mild) downwind race recently :)

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2018, 07:23:14 AM »

Actually the Infinity Team travelled specially for the race and all but one were using Blackfish instead of Whiplash. And these are for sale after the event took place. So it looks like a deliberate choice.

TEAM BOARDS FOR SALE IN THE UK!!
Kai Lenny 14’x23” Blackfish.
Slater Trout 14’x235 Blackfish.
Tyler Bashor 14’x23” Whiplash dugout.
Candice Appleby 12’6”x25” Blackfish.
Shae Foudy 12’6”x23” Blackfish.
Chloe Walkerdene 12’6”x23” Blackfish.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 07:26:39 AM by Luc Benac »
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2018, 09:26:32 AM »
I don’t think anyone could possibly have guessed a few years ago that the choice of elite paddlers for pure flat water would be planing-type boards. It seems so counter-intuitive, and may be a product of the race formats we use (in particular, where drafting is allowed) rather than saying anything about the laws of physics. However, anyone seeing Caspar in his early sprint events on a Naish Maliko in pure flat water must surely have paused for thought, nevertheless. Of course, what works for the elites may be completely wrong for the average guy, and in any case you’ll never convince photofr to use a planing hull in flat water ;)

Oh yeah, and btw in the women’s elite sprint race final in London, the only Starboard Sprint came in last. More evidence that the Sprint board, err...  isn’t?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:49:13 AM by Area 10 »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2018, 11:17:11 AM »
Amazing these guys can push 10.5-11 km/hr.  As interesting listening to their race strategies.  Connor unfortunately gassed out pulling the train -> while Travis took this as good Molokai training. 

Really makes you appreciate how much speed these guys are generating.  Is pretty tough for many to even get their board sprinting full out to go 11 km/hr -> let alone hold this at race pace.

Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2018, 12:28:34 PM »
I don’t think anyone could possibly have guessed a few years ago that the choice of elite paddlers for pure flat water would be planing-type boards. It seems so counter-intuitive, and may be a product of the race formats we use (in particular, where drafting is allowed) rather than saying anything about the laws of physics. However, anyone seeing Caspar in his early sprint events on a Naish Maliko in pure flat water must surely have paused for thought, nevertheless. Of course, what works for the elites may be completely wrong for the average guy, and in any case you’ll never convince photofr to use a planing hull in flat water ;)

Oh yeah, and btw in the women’s elite sprint race final in London, the only Starboard Sprint came in last. More evidence that the Sprint board, err...  isn’t?

(I’ll claim my ‘no prize’ as I said a while back that the smart move would be for racers to paddle the narrowest allwater board they can handle).

For modern racing, is an allstar in its 22 inch width the best option rather than the 21.5 sprint ? It’s bloody hard to say as many elites now seem to be using boards out of their intended use  :o

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2018, 12:34:50 PM »
Yes indeed, Eagle - their speeds seem to almost defy the laws of physics.

Hence why I said that what might a a sprint board for you and me might not be for them (and vice-versa).

But I guess that’s just the difference between elite athletes and the rest of us. Any average person who has run alongside an elite marathon runner will know that.

It’s very difficult to see exactly where they are creating such power at the blade though. It would be great to set a team of Research physiologists onto it to find out.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2018, 04:08:07 PM »
Yeah similar sort of speed diff vs elite marathon runners.  You very hard pressed to sprint beside -> while they are in race pace cruise mode.

Boothy went to his strength going it alone after he broke Connor.  His 21.5 Sprint gave him just enough of an advantage to stay clear ahead.  Would have expected an AS22.5 to be somewhat slower.  If not for Connor keeping it somewhat close pulling the train using his Sprint 21.5 -> the pack would have been likely further back drafting a slower rabbit.  For example the group Kai raced with were way way back.

Strategy was to get a clear gap to keep the finish sprinters at bay -> and this worked to perfection.  Kinda reminded me of the peloton and lead chase group.  Travis went full out but still was passed at the line.  All strategy and all very interesting.

Here there is that 2017 Sprint 21.5 for sale at $1500.  A huge depreciation hit but oh so tempting.  Just cannot see using that board in the slop and chop of the ocean we often have.  So am content with the boards we have.  Def will take a certain buyer for that one.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2018, 05:25:59 PM »
I guess that London has one board for everybody :-)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 05:27:59 PM by Luc Benac »
Blackfish Paddles

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2018, 12:16:59 AM »
It’s very difficult to see exactly where they are creating such power at the blade though. It would be great to set a team of Research physiologists onto it to find out.

Power or force ? I doubt its force.

Relating to this, one thing I did learn last week when some of my friends went paddling with some of the pro's in the days leading upto the London event was that their paddles have gone much shorter again. Jim revised quickblades table not too long ago but that's not reflective again of the pro's. The feedback I heard was that the men in particular are now going their height minus at least 10%. To me that suggests a change in stroke rates, smoother spikes in board acceleration and a shift to athletes who are physiologically better off with a half decent VO2 max to support all of this. It's basically the ongoing natural selection process of a new sport .

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill