Author Topic: It’s that time of year - 2018 Race Board Gossip ?  (Read 49583 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: It’s that time of year - 2018 Race Board Gossip ?
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2018, 10:58:34 AM »
2019 Fanatic obviously have the new Strike, the Falcon (which is now a clog) and finally the new 'Blitz'.

https://www.facebook.com/fanaticsupaustralia/
Ah, “The Blitz”... there’s a name associated with happy memories in the UK.

Coming up for 2020 from Fanatic, the new model called “Dunkirk”...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2018, 11:01:38 AM »
2019 Fanatic obviously have the new Strike, the Falcon (which is now a clog) and finally the new 'Blitz'.

https://www.facebook.com/fanaticsupaustralia/
Ah, “The Blitz”... there’s a name associated with happy memories in the UK.

Coming up for 2020 from Fanatic, the new model called “Dunkirk”...

That's a sinker....Dieppe would be sinking even more......
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2018, 11:24:37 AM »
I’ll bet sales of the Blitz will bomb in the UK.

But maybe in Germany they will be keen.

BrentP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2018, 12:32:18 PM »
Very nice looking NSP, Starboard, and Infinity right there... oh! wait...  ;)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2018, 12:45:36 PM »
Wonder if the new clog Falcon comes with a rope ladder? The deck is so sunken you are gonna need one to get in and out of it.

And why is the nose of the Blitz so bulbous? It’s gonna be a struggle pushing that upwind. Didn’t the Blitz designers get the memo that the trend is for wider butts and sleeker noses on the race boards that the elites are actually going to race on?

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2018, 04:37:28 AM »
I’ll bet sales of the Blitz will bomb in the UK.

But maybe in Germany they will be keen.

Very subtle.  ;D

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2018, 04:40:45 AM »
No word yet on what the Allstar will be doing for next year. My current thoughts are that rather than going back down the team route is that I'll be racing on a knockdown sale 2018 Starboard Sprint in a 23 width or the 2018 Allstar in a 23.5. I was going to go down the Lightsignature road but my little voice says not to..... or at least see how their team riders do at the ICF worlds first on them.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2018, 05:44:37 AM »
No word yet on what the Allstar will be doing for next year. My current thoughts are that rather than going back down the team route is that I'll be racing on a knockdown sale 2018 Starboard Sprint in a 23 width or the 2018 Allstar in a 23.5. I was going to go down the Lightsignature road but my little voice says not to..... or at least see how their team riders do at the ICF worlds first on them.
Good idea. If you are not going the custom route, I can guarantee that no-one will beat you on a 2019 board who wouldn’t beat you on a 2018 one. The UK race conditions are too unpredictable and generally meh for any design innovation to have any significant effect, given current constructions and regulations.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2018, 09:21:01 AM »
Good idea. If you are not going the custom route, I can guarantee that no-one will beat you on a 2019 board who wouldn’t beat you on a 2018 one. The UK race conditions are too unpredictable and generally meh for any design innovation to have any significant effect, given current constructions and regulations.

..... that and the fact that I was offered some boards for a song being used by the pro’s at this weeks London cup. I’d never pay full retail anyway but if you shop wisely and know the right people, there are going to be some bargains out there. I mean look at this way, who is going to buy a load of ex team sprints in a 21.5 width ?

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2018, 09:34:41 AM »
I must try ALL those Fanatics.  8)

I'm curious what the widths and rockers are like on the Blitz and the Falcon dugout, and what the intended market/purpose is for each. I.e., is one intended for all-water racing and the other for downwinding, or are both intended for both?

Also interesting rounded underside and soft rails on the tail on the Blitz, and what looks like sharp rails on the pointy tail of the new Falcon. 
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2018, 11:19:53 AM »

..... that and the fact that I was offered some boards for a song being used by the pro’s at this weeks London cup. I’d never pay full retail anyway but if you shop wisely and know the right people, there are going to be some bargains out there. I mean look at this way, who is going to buy a load of ex team sprints in a 21.5 width ?
Who indeed.

And then having bought one, why would you buy a new one next year?

And so the (precarious, anyway) market collapses. Then there’s no-one to pay for the races.

But in the meantime I’d love to try those Fanatics. At least they’ve come up with some bold designs. Not sure I’d ever want one. But at least they are interesting.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2018, 12:55:00 AM »

Who indeed.

And then having bought one, why would you buy a new one next year?

And so the (precarious, anyway) market collapses. Then there’s no-one to pay for the races.

But in the meantime I’d love to try those Fanatics. At least they’ve come up with some bold designs. Not sure I’d ever want one. But at least they are interesting.

It's a bit of a longstanding gag on the UK circuit whereby you can walk around before any race start and see about 3 or 4 previous generations of your raceboards that have been bought and sold over the years. The 21.5's will kill this off. I know of 3 team riders that are going to be looking to shift theirs in a couple of months time and even if they sell (and I think they'll struggle) you'll be selling them to an already small pool that (as you say) won't buy another unless biblical improvements in stability are assured (and that's unlikely with conventional shaping now). Have that happen 2 or 3 years in a row and your domestic race board market will finally collapse. You can't blame the manufacturers for pushing things unchecked - this was the governing bodies fault. They needed some controls in place that would still allow a downshift in sizing but over a longer period of time and not to extreme levels. Everybody's focus on the sports control, the Olympics and speed itself is ultimately going to result in disappointment, losses and mass disinterest. But hey, that's no different to many other sports but SUP was uniquely placed.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2018, 03:49:38 AM »
I saw - maybe - the new Strike at the London race at the weekend. But it looked like maybe an old Falcon-style boof-nosed Board was still the weapon to be on if you are an elite paddler in that overall format of races (ie. where short technical sprints are weighted highly)?

Also, why did I not see more UK racers in the elite races in London at the APP World Tour event? It looked like a couple of UK women didn’t turn up? Or maybe the UK racers simply weren’t sufficiently near the front to get coverage (I was watching on the web because my train line to the venue was closed this weekend!)? I saw Marie but I think that was about it. Mind you,the coverage did go on and off - it looked like the website went down at the times of peak traffic.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2018, 07:07:54 AM »
It does look like Arthur Aruntkin placed second on the boof nose Fanatic - maybe the Blitzkrieg was back to London that day.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2018, 07:36:54 AM »
Yep.

I noticed many years ago when testing a SIC Bullet V1 - of all boards - that a planing hull/nose board doesn’t seem to have the same top end speed limit as a cutting bow one. Over very short distances and with a huge expenditure of energy I could get the Bullet to go faster than my flatwater cutting bow boards. Of course, I could only keep it up for a few yards. But it did make me wonder what could be achieved by someone who can actually paddle and is supremely fit. The displacement noses tend to “dig in” under extreme effort in a way that the planing hull ones don’t. But maybe it’s just me :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal