Author Topic: Mini Endless SUP Surf Summer  (Read 2844 times)

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Mini Endless SUP Surf Summer
« on: May 09, 2018, 11:38:57 AM »
anyone consider, plan and/or do a mini SUP Surf trip around the world? say 4-5 months and somewhat budget trip.

i am thinking to hit australia, new zealand, indonesia, south africa, other africa?, portugal, for sure looking for suggestions as this would my chance to hit out of the way off the beaten path places!

planning to list places, the best time of year for each and then find a path that makes sense.

talk to me!
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Mini Endless SUP Surf Summer
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 11:52:25 AM »
I have done several small trips to far off places.  Longest was 1 month to New Zealand ~ Jan 6 to Feb 6.  Their "Summer".  It rained every day.   We spent most of our time  on the south island and Stewart Island but hit the famous spots on the North Island.  This is one of the best trips I have ever done in my life.  I arranged to meet someone I only knew from the internet to surf with in Taranaki on the north Island.  As it ended up the surf sucked the whole time we were there but we became good friends and he has visited me here in California and I have set him up on a surf trip here.   My experience in surfing some of the more exotic spots like  New Zealand, Scotland, Denmark is that the surf is really weather dependent.  I'm used to being able to find something decent near where I live in San Diego almost any day of the year.   In New Zealand we ran into a storm from Antartica that was one of the worst in 100 years, surf was blown out for days,  when it wasn't blowing the surf was flat.  There was plenty of other things to do though.  I had a similar experience in Scotland.  The days  I set aside for Thurso were absolutely flat.   Similar experience on kauai once too.   So plan your trip with alternative plans besides surfing, and I highly recommend making friends with locals before you visit.  They know the secret spots and the weather and making friends seems to be the best part of surfing.  The three days we actually had surf, going out with locals in NZ are actually some of my best surfing memories.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 04:58:50 PM »
Seadart- Cool story. I always pictured NZ alot sunnier w/perfect waves!  :P

Paddle On- Add Peru to the list. One of my best trips ever in 2008, except for the gettin sick part. There's alotta options there as it's a huge coastline. We stayed in Mancora, it's all the way to the nrth near the Equador border. It was before I supped so no paddle. We took one day trip to the south to a break called Lobitos. It's pretty far off the highway and there's not much there but a fishing village so it was much less crowded than Mancora, which is seated right on the Pan American highway. Lobitos looks like it could be sup heaven!
This is the video that got me hooked on Peru. Endless Summer in Peru!

Peel : The Peru Project
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh46y9
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1059218/

Here are my Peru shots from back then. I still have my Shutterfly account from the early 2000s!

pix.sfly.com/y5kGAeeU
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 05:09:48 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 07:36:55 PM »
thanks for the tips Dart, its the journey!

i have been to peru, mancora in fact to kite surf, had not thought about sup there, excellent suggestion.
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

Portugal

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 06:00:09 AM »
For Portugal the best season is September/October, since you still have good weather and the Atlantic Ocean start to pump swells. You can choose the spots near the big cities, or you can go south to have more nature and less civilization.

Anyhow, since surf is a trend now, don't expect to surf alone in the water. You will have crowds that can go from a few fellow surfers to several dozens.

Bring the kite. The kite spots are also great! :D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 07:32:31 AM »
anyone consider, plan and/or do a mini SUP Surf trip around the world? say 4-5 months and somewhat budget trip.

i am thinking to hit australia, new zealand, indonesia, south africa, other africa?, portugal, for sure looking for suggestions as this would my chance to hit out of the way off the beaten path places!

planning to list places, the best time of year for each and then find a path that makes sense.

talk to me!

It's the reason my house in Maui is for sale.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 07:48:07 AM »
Portugal is for sure on my list!

Pono - why is you house for sale? because you are on travel or want to be on travel?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 07:59:56 AM »
Because I want to try a lot of different places. I've owned my house in Maui for twenty years, and for the last ten I've spent six months out of the year there. When you own an expensive second home you have a strong disincentive to go anywhere else--it feels like you're wasting a lot of money. I'll still spend a lot of time in Maui, but even there it won't be in the same place every year. Where you live--even on a small island--has a big influence on what you do. My buddy Bill Boyum (headmount) and did hundreds of Maliko runs together when he lived on the north shore, where I live--we did them pretty much every day in the winter. Then he moved to Kihei and rarely does Malikos--instead, we do a lot of South shore runs, and when I do Maliko runs it's usually by myself.

Time to switch things up and go surf every place I've heard of but never been.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 08:20:49 PM »
how about africa?

anybody recommend a spot or 2 there?

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 10:10:34 PM »
Pono, your Maui house is beautiful.  Someone should have snatched it up by now.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal