Author Topic: New modular race SUP by Sunova 7+7=14feet  (Read 16409 times)

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
New modular race SUP by Sunova 7+7=14feet
« on: May 09, 2018, 08:02:42 AM »
I knew there were modular kayaks but I never heard about SUP you can split in 2 (or 3?)... Apparently Sunova did it... Anybody have more info? Did any brand made some modular board before?

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: New modular race SUP by Sunova 7+7=14feet
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 08:17:28 AM »
Yeah, Grey Paddleboards in the UK make a 2-piece (2x7ft) 14ft downwind board.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 08:24:50 AM »
With the tall rails on the clogs, it seems like it would make a stronger connection. Almost no need for long connecting tubes like others have done in the past. Just a hinge connection at the bottom, and a bridging latch at the top. A lot of compression at the top though. Those top rails would need some strong reinforcement.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 08:27:51 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 08:29:00 AM »
Hey, that's cool he's racing with one. I also see why dugouts lend themselves well to the 2-piece concept.

I'm sticking with kiteboarding for traveling light. Did you know they even make 2-piece kiteboards because the lightwind boards seem big to kiteboarders? (nobile)

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 08:39:10 AM »
More details on SUPracer
http://www.supracer.com/

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 09:37:30 AM »
More details on SUPracer
http://www.supracer.com/

Clever idea but as long as we have to put up with foam based boards, I’m not exactly chomping at the bit for one of these. It will be even less durable than race boards currently are already.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 10:54:25 AM »
I can't fathom how the filling of a board has any relevance. Unless it is chocolate.

... and just BTW filling your board with helium won't make you much faster. We already tried that with kites and ... well... meh! The design, weight, materials had way more imprtance.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 02:00:57 PM »
I thought SUP racing was dying? Maybe if they also made the length of the board adjustable from 18' to 14' to 12'6" then the race scene would make a comeback  ;D

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 02:08:16 PM »
Someone on here has a SIC 2-piece that was a custom order I believe.  Sure they will chime in if they see it

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 05:40:11 PM »
Someone on here has a SIC 2-piece that was a custom order I believe.  Sure they will chime in if they see it

I think it's great Sunova came out with that. Very convenient for travel.

Nothing new though, I have that 2 piece board for 3 years now and it was nothing new when I got it either.
I think that design goes back to 2010 or so when Mark Raaphorst made it for Starboard, though not a high volume race board.
in progress...

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 11:50:56 PM »
I can't fathom how the filling of a board has any relevance. Unless it is chocolate.

It does. We already have a situation where boards still really aren't that robust so coming up with a system that will be so flexible when joined you can feel (as the article said) and that will involve travel with two semi-firm components positioned against each other doesn't fill me with confidence. This all said, given its either this or an inflatable as a reasonable travelling option, I can only assume Sunova's concept is still going to lead to a faster board than the alternative.

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 12:46:23 AM »
@Burchas, Nice board !

I thought other brands made 2 pieces SUP but never saw one. Now I’m curious about Supuk’s board!
In theory with these boards you have no length limit and the possibility to choose the nose of your board according to conditions, nice.. in theory..

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 01:03:54 AM »

It does. We already have a situation where boards still really aren't that robust so coming up with a system that will be so flexible when joined you can feel (as the article said) and that will involve travel with two semi-firm components positioned against each other doesn't fill me with confidence. This all said, given its either this or an inflatable as a reasonable travelling option, I can only assume Sunova's concept is still going to lead to a faster board than the alternative.

wow

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 02:04:08 PM »
I like the idea and time will tell. For what I do, I don't need a 2 piece board.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal