Author Topic: They're back.  (Read 7920 times)

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
They're back.
« on: May 08, 2018, 06:54:34 PM »
After a few months without any visible great whites in our area they seem to be back.... and bigger than last year.

Yesterday, they spotted 15 sharks in a 30 minute period all between 10 to 14 feet.

Then today, this is downright scary. All these shots are from Seacliff Beach and the Cement Ship, just a short paddle away from the L41.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZnXKTRdqX8&feature=youtu.be

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: They're back.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 07:52:14 PM »
WTF...guy in the kayak must need to rinse out his boat. How the hell did he end up in the water? Did the shark hit the kayak?
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 08:18:16 PM »
Doesn't look like it, he wasn't particularly worried about the shark, mostly just trying to see it.

To everyone concerned about the sharks, I suggest you stay out of the water. You'd be perfectly safe then from becoming the tenth fatal shark attack victim in the last forty years. Of course, you might not want to hang out on the beach, given the eight dog bite deaths per year in California. And you might not want to go home, considering there are about 700 homicides per year in California involving spouses, other family, or friends. And certainly, don't drive anywhere given the roughly 4000 traffic deaths per year. I'd say go by bicycle, but there are about 450 car/bicycle deaths per year in Cali. So maybe walk, though that might expose you to the rest of the approximately 2000 homicides per year.

Actually, looking at it statistically, probably the safest place in California is that shark-infested stretch of water.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 08:27:02 PM »
You'd be perfectly safe then from becoming the tenth fatal shark attack victim in the last forty years

LOL. I have to admit I would paddle in I saw one that was interested in me.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 09:39:48 PM »
Doesn't look like it, he wasn't particularly worried about the shark, mostly just trying to see it.

To everyone concerned about the sharks, I suggest you stay out of the water. You'd be perfectly safe then from becoming the tenth fatal shark attack victim in the last forty years. Of course, you might not want to hang out on the beach, given the eight dog bite deaths per year in California. And you might not want to go home, considering there are about 700 homicides per year in California involving spouses, other family, or friends. And certainly, don't drive anywhere given the roughly 4000 traffic deaths per year. I'd say go by bicycle, but there are about 450 car/bicycle deaths per year in Cali. So maybe walk, though that might expose you to the rest of the approximately 2000 homicides per year.

Actually, looking at it statistically, probably the safest place in California is that shark-infested stretch of water.

Well said!  👍👍

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 10:02:06 PM »
How does someone fall out of a sit-on-top kayak?  Most are extremely stable.  He must have gotten out on purpose. 

I'm not particularly afraid of GW sharks, but I don't think I'd swim with them. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 07:03:09 AM »
I'd love to see one....seeing a 12+ footer that was checking me out would not have me jumping from my kayak. Your statistics still didn't stop you from scrambling to get back on your board after falling in with a shark nearby.... ;) Looked like he was interested in seeing it...for sure....I'd want to know where the fuck the apex predator is that's circling me too.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 09:34:44 AM »
oh wow. The thing that was most interesting to me was that intial pass as the shark and the kayaker  passed each  other that shark pulled a u turn. Dinner bells?  he certainly stuck with Kayaker for a while . I too wonder what happened to get th kayaker inthe water> was he hot, did the shark bump his boat, or was he trying out for the Darwin list. don't know.   This could have been very bad if th eshark was a little more hungry . Seems like most often  with whites its a case of mistaken idenity/taste test.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 10:59:00 AM »
It's the ones you don't see coming up from below to strike that are the ones you have to worry about...the ones you can see are just sunning themselves on the surface, and enjoying the warm water just like us. At least that's what keeps me in the water during what seems to be our daily spottings.

Beautiful creatures to be admired and amazed by but not feared if you ever want to enjoy a day on the water around our parts nowadays.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 12:21:42 PM »
So what is the stalking/attacking body-language?

All animals have their signals, even if just instictual. Any good resource on this?

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 12:58:03 PM »

All animals have their signals, even if just instictual. Any good resource on this?

The fur on the back of their neck stands up...

;) ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 01:08:57 PM »
Last night, I watched a Nova documentary called Why Sharks Attack.  It was okay, but a few parts were interesting.  Sharks vision is sharp only in the top part of the retina, thus they see most clearly what is above them.  Also, they’re color blind, so the “don’t wear yellow or bright colors” myth is, in fact, a myth.
They were testing various repellants, and one thing that worked was having the bait enclosed in a container painted with alternate black and white stripes, like a sea snake.
Anyway, it seems like you’re safer having the sharks near the surface than having them swimming below you, preparing to ambush you.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 01:24:47 PM »
No one has taken and run with my idea of painting the underside of your board like an Orca   8)
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 05:10:49 PM »

Yeah, the internet is pretty good for this. Broadly studied. But don't expect one single thing to be the trigger. The reason sharks don't attack humans often is that we are not recognizable as food, and of course, like any predator, especially one with 420 million years of fine tuning, they know what their food looks, smells, and acts like--and even what kind of electrical fields they impart to the surrounding water. It's not us. Sharks are probably better at identifying usable food than we are--it's a critical survival skill. You don't mistake a garbage can for a McDonald's though there are strong similarities. A shortboarder in murky water might look enough like a seal to merit a test bite, but they don't go around biting boats, buoys, SUPs or even swimmers and splashing kids--generally. And even those tasty shortboarders only get bitten on vanishingly rare occasion. Obviously they don't really fool the sharks. And by generally I mean statistically never, or as close to never as you're likely to get. There's some variation by species, and most likely some variation by individual. Bull sharks and Tigers seem a bit less finicky, though some of that behavior likely stems from murky water and/or large numbers of Bulls competing for food when they are flocking. 

The media loves them though, and so do lifeguards and county politicians. They can seem to be saving lives without really doing anything more than arm waving. Drive around on a jet ski, close a few beaches. Presto, highly responsible. Sharks tick every box for phobic fears except the one for "happens to a lot of people at once". There they fall flat on their face. One fatality every two years, nationwide. You can't find anything with a crummier statistic than that. Lightning strike fatalities are 100 times more common. You have to get all the way down to vending machine deaths to match the statistic, though apparently that's out of date since most vending machines are secured from tipping over these days. So hey, vending machines kill less than sharks--progress.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 05:56:40 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 05:21:12 PM »
Looks like waves tomorrow in L41, so sharks, stay out of my way.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal