Author Topic: Some assembly required foilboard.  (Read 6615 times)

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Some assembly required foilboard.
« on: May 06, 2018, 10:59:04 AM »
While I am waiting for cash and a return email from Mr. Kalama, I will try my hand at board building.

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Some assembly required foilboard.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 11:10:36 AM »
Sweet!  I'm on the verge of trying this myself soon.  Curious to watch and learn!

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 05:28:12 PM »
Your post about putting in tracks with all the great pictures was the last push I needed to try this.

I got the jigsaw out and made my board 6'8" by 32".  I slanted the blade in an attempt to get the beveled rails the same slant.  I hope this eps shapes well, it did not come out perfect.  I have decided to use gorilla glue to glue the layers.  I am thinking it does not need to be fully coated with glue, so that the board can vent properly.  Maybe I can completely cover the middle and  leave a dry boarder of a few inches around the edges.

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 06:58:07 PM »
Your post about putting in tracks with all the great pictures was the last push I needed to try this.

I got the jigsaw out and made my board 6'8" by 32".  I slanted the blade in an attempt to get the beveled rails the same slant.  I hope this eps shapes well, it did not come out perfect.  I have decided to use gorilla glue to glue the layers.  I am thinking it does not need to be fully coated with glue, so that the board can vent properly.  Maybe I can completely cover the middle and  leave a dry boarder of a few inches around the edges.

Excellent, build build build!   ;D

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 07:50:38 PM »

I would get it fully glued at the rails, so you can shape it with out some funky layer separation. Just use a roller to spread it out all over. Go very thin with it. You don't want it to expand too much when laminating layers. Don't worry about the vent. When you install it just drill the hole deep through into the bottom layer. You'll be fine.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 03:37:33 AM »
  Don't worry about the vent. When you install it just drill the hole deep through into the bottom layer. You'll be fine.

I didn't know I could do that, but it makes sense.  Thanks.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 08:35:56 PM »
Love this. Maybe you can make me get off my butt and finish my foil.

I'm definitely building a board next, but need to use XPS just to prove or disprove all the delam talk I started.

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 07:09:08 AM »
I am very curious about how your foil is going to work.  I think my wrinkly first foil with squared fuse and bolts sticking out is just too draggy.  Yours looks so smooth but I think you might need some vertical surface area in back to help with stability.  Or maybe the looseness will be a help in waves.

My blank is ready for shaping, I am not loving the look now so I think I will fiberglass it first and see if I can stand on it before strengthening it and adding the plugs and tracks and stuff.  The bottom is only 24 inches wide, top 32.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 07:15:32 PM »
The blank looks good here man. But yeah, laminate it and see how you feel about it. Boards are way easier than foils for sure. I need to get sanding. i get sanding inertia where if I don't do it for a while I get stuck in neutral. Once I do it for a bit I pick back up. Looks like good weather this weekend I'm sure surfing and sanding will both happen.

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 06:28:07 AM »
I used a wood saw for the back and front.  My plan was to round out the front after cutting a slant into it, but the saw took out a chunk in the middle, so now I have a scoop in front.  I am thinking I should gorilla glue a sheet foam back on and then sand the rocker into it.

The saw left a very rough surface, next time I'll figure out the hot wire thing.

I tried sanding a little and it looks much better but I have a lot of sanding ahead of me.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 06:48:28 AM by opie »

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 05:01:04 AM »
Tried Scubasteve's method but couldn't get tracks straight without making hole bigger.  So I used pour foam to lock it in. 
  The pour foam cured faster than expected. I saw the mast was not straight up and down, when I corrected it the base moved over almost a quarter of an inch.  When I tried to move it back it was too late.  At least it looks straight.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 04:01:27 AM »
I hadn't thought about glassing in the boxes but of course you can when building from scratch. Following this one now. I think glueing in a piece of foam for the front rocker is fine and make sure you've got some 36 grit (I use belt sander belts cut up) and that'll make quick work of the sanding.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 04:57:30 AM »
+1 to Opie for the build.
+1 to the Cowboy and the 36 grit.

I have a piece of something similar (floor sanding paper with the peel and stick type adhesive) pieced together and stuck to a flat 24" x 3" or so x 3/4" cedar board that has a handle (think concrete smoothing tool). It is really nice for getting out saw marks or hot wire 'twangs' early in the shaping process. I am considering making a 60 grit one for use when the need for grit is not that extreme.

If you have shaping stands and side lights, that will really help you see the countours for the final sand before glassing, even though this sort of design is not based on conventional surfboard type rail ideas.

http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 02:14:34 PM »
Thanks, I've got a sanding belt on a two by four.  Definitely helpful.
I am about to glass over the tracks.  Is there a way to open them up afterward without a router?  I would like to avoid buying one if possible.

This build is going into overdrive because the uncovered eps is taking up too much room in my garage.  Once it is glassed I can take down the museum ropes and give my family their access back.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 04:28:06 PM »
You can tape off the boxes and do a cut lap after glassing. Wait until the epoxy is B-stage- not sticky but not hard- then use an Xacto or razor blade to cut the cloth next to the tape. A 1/2" tape should yield about a 1/16" reveal on each side of the slot.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal