Author Topic: Old article about why racing is declining so fast  (Read 13196 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: Old article about why racing is declining so fast
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2018, 06:24:50 AM »
One of the things that's always bugged me about SUP events is that they're almost always about racing. I think how fast you it go is a very limited way to look at a board. Speed is part of a board, but a race makes it the most important thing.

I think there's a lack of vision with this. Why not hockey or polo type games on a SUP. That would favor a different type of board and skill set. Balance games. Board dancing contests. Flatwater slalom — practice those pivot turns!

I get that these aren't leading to some grand competition, but why not be a little sillier? That might attract more people. Track and field events aren't just running races. Why not think the same way for SUPs?
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2018, 06:32:52 AM »
It's not the length of the board. It's the engine. Always has been, always will be.

Except no, it's not. We race for two miles. You go on a nine foot surfboard, and I'll take my 18' speedboard. If I don't smoke you, you can have my board. my paddle, and my boardshorts. If I win I get your boardshorts and you walk home.

Deal?
That's a little extreme there Bill, I think you know that's not what I'm talking about. What I'm saying is, if racing follows your proposed lack of length restrictions, the small fast guys are still always going to beat the big heavy guys, ESPECIALLY if they can all show up on boards optimal for their size.

Of course they are. I think I mentioned that in the article. At the pinnacle of the sport everything matters. At a more modest level, everything has importance. The right board can't overcome a lack of training, but training can't overcome the wrong board.

This is all theoretical, nothing is going to happen. We are where we are. These kinds of hari-kari decisions get made in many sports. None that I have watched have exited the black hole.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2018, 06:35:15 AM »
Yugi, those events look amazing.

I don't know why Spellcheck decided to convert my Mac's trashcan to my Man's trashcan in the original post. I swear I'm still with Diane, haven't switched sides.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 06:37:52 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2018, 06:52:28 AM »
I'm going to suggest to the CCBC crew that we bring back the Late Summah Paddle. No race, no grueling challenge to train months for....get a board, a fun costume, bring the dog, ukelele, whatever, paddle 2 miles of beautiful estuary  to the "treasure island" treasure courtesy of Wachusett Brewing....paddle back with folks out on their docks passing us beers....to an awesome party on the docks of the yacht club....with more beers..... 8)

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 07:03:52 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2018, 07:16:35 AM »
That sounds like a great event, Stoney.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2018, 07:37:09 AM »
True dat...which makes foil racing more interesting since longer boards are not necessarily an advantage. It may actually be more about the engine.

Can you imagine history repeating itself and someone decides to have wingspan divisions?? Or weight divisions? We'll see PB showing up with a 18' wing  ;D

It's not the length of the board. It's the engine. Always has been, always will be.

Except no, it's not. We race for two miles. You go on a nine foot surfboard, and I'll take my 18' speedboard. If I don't smoke you, you can have my board. my paddle, and my boardshorts. If I win I get your boardshorts and you walk home.

Deal?

Yeah! Deal! We’re on. Every time we meet up.

And here’s why. I’ll always have my 9 ft board with me (or so easily find a local one) and you will practically never have your speedboard with you.

Which sum’s up that little practical flaw in your theory, and which is why racing didn’t go that way.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 07:45:00 AM by SaMoSUP »

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2018, 08:18:59 AM »
Flatwater racing is dead (OK, dying) because people tried it.

I started to type more but that is really all of it.

You're forgetting euro's like to wear speedos.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2018, 08:22:14 AM »
I'm going to suggest to the CCBC crew that we bring back the Late Summah Paddle. No race, no grueling challenge to train months for....get a board, a fun costume, bring the dog, ukelele, whatever, paddle 2 miles of beautiful estuary  to the "treasure island" treasure courtesy of Wachusett Brewing....paddle back with folks out on their docks passing us beers....to an awesome party on the docks of the yacht club....with more beers..... 8)

Exactly!

Late summer rocks, and, MmmmMmm... beer

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2018, 08:40:55 AM »
I don't always see eye to eye with Pono( is it the "brashness"?) but he has supported this community to the tune of 20k posts and I can barely get to 200 posts and I believe he has this exactly right and Yugi and Icabod S. support him beautifully with the solutions for race organization. 

Sup events might look to be modeled on century cycling rides and more recently ski mountaineering events. Some events already do this like Yugi mentioned. The Chattajack just sold out in 18 hours. Give several categories of distance challenge on whatever board you want and and this will drive interest in watching young, fit bodies race and the racing should be on the optimal board for the racer and course. The real competitive versions of this model in cycling for the non-gifted athlete are Grand Fondo's where the participants do get a time and there is a winner but it is more about "holy shit I finished, that was hard" and  "can I beat my time next year" , and the masters elite folks can go for a WIN. Yugi what are the ski mountaineering equivalents where just finishing is an accomplishment-Elk Mountain Traverse, Pierra Menta? 

Not one event director has ever told me what kind of bike to ride in a century ride or a Grand Fondo. I use what works best for me. I see the gratification and joy in myself and all the participants that finish. 

And finally Sup may end up being super niche like single speed bikes and that is okay. I spent some time in an Epic V10 last summer and I am selling SUPs to get one. it is a way better tool for getting upwind to go downwind in New England. I am keeping my 12'6 Sup because I love surfing it when conditions are funky, small or have weirdly long waves that can't be ridden on a small surf shape and if I feel like paddling 5 miles up the beach for a tempo workout I can. This is personal and unrelated to "events" but it would be nice to know I can take either to an event and feel rewarded.

If events could heed Pono's advice and stop telling people what to paddle i think we have a good chance of heading in the right direction and growing PADDLING in general and SUP will be sucked up with the rising tide.

And finally Sup could be a pioneer and  catalyst to bringing all paddling disciplines together in a special way. Kayak, outrigger canoe, canoe, Sup, prone all together at awesome events with one winner in each category on whatever length,  volume, width makes senses. I mean not even cycling or snow sports have really done this outside the context of trade show. 

Good discussion and timely 'cause SUP seems to be flaming out faster then Vibram Five Fingers shoe stoopidness.
New England Is My Playground

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2018, 02:38:04 PM »
Yugi, those events look amazing.

I don't know why Spellcheck decided to convert my Mac's trashcan to my Man's trashcan in the original post. I swear I'm still with Diane, haven't switched sides.

The reason why some events are booming in Europe is because they are focusing on the event experience for the masses, not catering for the elites. This isn’t unique to SUP - we have the same culture in most endurance sports over here.

P.s. I wear vibrams. They are surprisingly good for sup balance development !
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 02:40:23 PM by ukgm »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2018, 08:40:08 PM »
I've never understood the focus on pros.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2018, 10:04:02 PM »
One of the things that's always bugged me about SUP events is that they're almost always about racing. I think how fast you it go is a very limited way to look at a board. Speed is part of a board, but a race makes it the most important thing.

I think there's a lack of vision with this. Why not hockey or polo type games on a SUP. That would favor a different type of board and skill set. Balance games. Board dancing contests. Flatwater slalom — practice those pivot turns!

I get that these aren't leading to some grand competition, but why not be a little sillier? That might attract more people. Track and field events aren't just running races. Why not think the same way for SUPs?
Portland still has good races, but what seems to have grown a lot recently are informal, meet-up type events--full moon paddles, buoy turn practices, holiday paddles, witch paddles....

http://www.wweek.com/culture/2017/10/31/a-coven-of-witches-paddle-boarded-down-the-willamette-river-this-weekend/

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 10:07:01 PM by pdxmike »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2018, 02:57:12 AM »
Nice shot, witch paddle is that PDX?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2018, 09:21:59 AM »
So...... what floats other than witches?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2018, 09:28:36 AM »
A duck.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal