Author Topic: Wiki vs Mana vs Konihi vs Ho’oloa  (Read 10636 times)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wiki vs Mana vs Konihi vs Ho’oloa
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 08:47:32 AM »
O.K., I just took another look at the KeNalu website and I like the looks of the "Ergo" handle, if it fits a smaller hand???

Still have no idea which shaft would be best though.

And finally, when you order the paddle, does it just come in a standard length and then you have to cut it down yourself?

Thanks.

Yes the Ergo is better for a larger/longer hand
The shaft comes in 63" length and needs to be cut down with a smooth saw.
I have a few 100Flex and 90Flex shafts if you want to try these as they are lighter than the  Xtuf(s).

Thanks Luc,

Really appreciate the offer. I think though, if I’m going to do this, I’ll just go with the Xtuf(S) if that’s the one that will be easiest on my neck.

Funny thing is, I just ordered a new ZRE paddle. Am expecting it either today or tomorrow. Love their paddles, but if the KeNalu solves my sore neck then it’s probably worth it.

I guess I’ll just have to bite the bullet and get two new paddles - kind of like Christmas in May!

I also really do like the looks of the “Ergo” handle, but while my hands are not tiny, they are smaller. If the KeNalu Ergo handle is for larger hands, it is maybe not the best for me.

I’m wondering if anyone (Burchas???) knows if the small ZRE handle would fit on the KeNalu Xtuff(S) shaft?

P.S. - I’ll definitely put in a mention to the KeNalu distributor for you.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 10:51:24 AM »
Just curious - everyone says to go with a small blade in the surf for high rep, wouldn't a larger paddle blade make sense as you are trying to aggressively speed up/sprint to catch a wave?

PonoBill originally recommended the Molokai to me for this reason.  That was 7 years ago.  I have a Molokai but it would kill me now. 

I have since migrated to smaller and smaller and shorter and shorter paddles as has the rest of the surf community. Currently using the Mana 90 and love it.  There is no downside to small paddles.  The smaller the lighter the less stress on your shoulders . . . . .

The thing I have found trying to catch waves of significance, say 6 ft +++, is that the paddle speed gets to be very, very high.  I can paddle 15 mph and miss waves.  Using my GoPro and my Trace I can re-watch paddling 20 strokes on one side to catch a big wave, and getting up to 18+ mph before the catch.  Someone observed that in this situation EFFICIENCY MATTERS.  Don't just try to Cave-Man your way into the wave. 

There is NOTHING IN FLAT WATER that compares to this.  In this case you DO NOT WANT A BIG HEAVY BLADE you want high cadence.  The only exception might be people surfing pitchy shorebreak.  2 Strokes and you're in.  I do not typically do this. 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 10:54:02 AM by Beasho »

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 11:07:07 AM »
Just curious - everyone says to go with a small blade in the surf for high rep, wouldn't a larger paddle blade make sense as you are trying to aggressively speed up/sprint to catch a wave?

PonoBill originally recommended the Molokai to me for this reason.  That was 7 years ago.  I have a Molokai but it would kill me now. 

I have since migrated to smaller and smaller and shorter and shorter paddles as has the rest of the surf community. Currently using the Mana 90 and love it.  There is no downside to small paddles.  The smaller the lighter the less stress on your shoulders . . . . .

The thing I have found trying to catch waves of significance, say 6 ft +++, is that the paddle speed gets to be very, very high.  I can paddle 15 mph and miss waves.  Using my GoPro and my Trace I can re-watch paddling 20 strokes on one side to catch a big wave, and getting up to 18+ mph before the catch.  Someone observed that in this situation EFFICIENCY MATTERS.  Don't just try to Cave-Man your way into the wave. 

There is NOTHING IN FLAT WATER that compares to this.  In this case you DO NOT WANT A BIG HEAVY BLADE you want high cadence.  The only exception might be people surfing pitchy shorebreak.  2 Strokes and you're in.  I do not typically do this.

That makes sense, right now my surf blade is 84 sq. in, and I'm debating what to do with the 95sq in. Ho'oloa. I was going to use it for racing, but I'm not sure if it will grind on my shoulders or not.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 03:42:38 PM »
spirit4earth, I only tried the mana 90 with xtuf shaft and t-handle. It has a great catch and hold and the shaft had good flex. I found the blade was a bit big for a 80kg 5'6 and I have to pay attention to my technique otherwise you will have shoulder problem. I think the 82 mana would be better suited for me.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 04:33:51 PM by JEG »

warmuth

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2018, 04:29:08 PM »
O.K., I just took another look at the KeNalu website and I like the looks of the "Ergo" handle, if it fits a smaller hand???

Still have no idea which shaft would be best though.

And finally, when you order the paddle, does it just come in a standard length and then you have to cut it down yourself?

Thanks.

I have smaller hands and the ergo is fine. The ergo T feels terrible to me. I'm not even sure why the ergo is recommended for larger hands specifically. Some people like the ergo T but I'm with Luc, it's got an edge that really digs into the hand. The ergo is nicely distributed pressure.

Yes the Ergo is better for a larger/longer hand
The shaft comes in 63" length and needs to be cut down with a smooth saw.
I have a few 100Flex and 90Flex shafts if you want to try these as they are lighter than the  Xtuf(s).

Thanks Luc,

Really appreciate the offer. I think though, if I’m going to do this, I’ll just go with the Xtuf(S) if that’s the one that will be easiest on my neck.

Funny thing is, I just ordered a new ZRE paddle. Am expecting it either today or tomorrow. Love their paddles, but if the KeNalu solves my sore neck then it’s probably worth it.

I guess I’ll just have to bite the bullet and get two new paddles - kind of like Christmas in May!

I also really do like the looks of the “Ergo” handle, but while my hands are not tiny, they are smaller. If the KeNalu Ergo handle is for larger hands, it is maybe not the best for me.

I’m wondering if anyone (Burchas???) knows if the small ZRE handle would fit on the KeNalu Xtuff(S) shaft?

P.S. - I’ll definitely put in a mention to the KeNalu distributor for you.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2018, 10:56:35 PM »
I might actually go with a Wiki 74, if it would do well in flatwater.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2018, 05:22:48 AM »

I currently use my modified QuickBlade P40 with the KeNalu but I also have a small ZRE grip that fits.
If you have the oval ZRE small grip, it might fit but you will have to use extra glue. If it's the rounded one, I doubt it will fit.

Another option would be to the retrofit the Mana blade to fit the ZRE shaft, you get the best of both worlds, the Mana with a good oval shaft and a nice
grip would be a killer combination. I did that on my QB V-Drive and it is awesome, Mana is next on the list, as soon as my new oval flexi-shaft is dialed-in.
in progress...

warmuth

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2018, 05:44:52 AM »
  Looks like I screwed up my post. I have small hands and the kenalu ergo handle is just fine. I don’t know why it’s recommended for larger hands specifically. The ergo T feels awful to me. I really wouldn’t worry too much about jumping through hoops to get a different handle. If you decide on a kenalu just use their ergo handle if you aren’t already a t shape fan.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2018, 09:06:13 AM »
  Looks like I screwed up my post. I have small hands and the kenalu ergo handle is just fine. I don’t know why it’s recommended for larger hands specifically. The ergo T feels awful to me. I really wouldn’t worry too much about jumping through hoops to get a different handle. If you decide on a kenalu just use their ergo handle if you aren’t already a t shape fan.

Funny how different we all are :) I just love ergo t from kenalu. My favorite grip so far.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2018, 09:35:08 AM »
I was thinking the exact same thing. I only use the ergo-T. I've tried all kinds of handles...I even made one custom shaped to my hands (it sucked). I've always said that paddles may be more personal than boards. One persons holy grail of paddles may feel horrible to someone else...even someone of similar size, shape and usage. Generalities can be found and telling folks what you like is valid but pointing at something and saying this is the best you should buy it is like telling someone they should love broccoli.... :)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

warmuth

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2018, 12:09:18 PM »
I was thinking the exact same thing. I only use the ergo-T. I've tried all kinds of handles...I even made one custom shaped to my hands (it sucked). I've always said that paddles may be more personal than boards. One persons holy grail of paddles may feel horrible to someone else...even someone of similar size, shape and usage. Generalities can be found and telling folks what you like is valid but pointing at something and saying this is the best you should buy it is like telling someone they should love broccoli.... :)

There’s nothing in my post suggesting the ergo is the best for everyone. He is interested in the ergo and unsure because of the recommendation. My opinion is it’s fine and there’s no reason not to buy it. 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2018, 03:40:20 PM »
Sorry warmuth....I realized after I had posted that it might look like that was aimed at you, it wasn't. I was just elaborating on what gzasinets posted and did it too quickly. I agree with your post in fact....I have big hands and don't use the ergo...my wife on the other hand (pun intended...:)) with small hands does. LOL....I hope she doesn't break it somehow because I'm sending spirit my last ergo handle, and a T handle too since I don't know which she'll like better.... ;)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 03:45:59 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2018, 04:19:15 PM »
Sorry warmuth....I realized after I had posted that it might look like that was aimed at you, it wasn't. I was just elaborating on what gzasinets posted and did it too quickly. I agree with your post in fact....I have big hands and don't use the ergo...my wife on the other hand (pun intended...:)) with small hands does. LOL....I hope she doesn't break it somehow because I'm sending spirit my last ergo handle, and a T handle too since I don't know which she'll like better.... ;)

I think I’ll really like the ergo, though it will be great to try both!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2018, 09:01:38 PM »
I wanted to like the T handle. Even paddled the CCBC with it one year. They give great control but somehow it just isn't comfortable to me. Feels like it catches on my thumb in transfer. If I didn't have the ergoT I'd have the ergo. I know the ergoT is a popular handle (lol...spell check keeps changing the handle name to a hallucinogenic fungi...:) ) I'm pretty sure the ergoT has far out sold the others, even discounting the extended version.  Bill? Lane?
Bob

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2018, 05:41:57 PM »
I've been using the Ho'oloa 95 again for surfing, and I swear I can keep the same cadence as with my 84 sq in Hippostick and gain a lot more power. I'm still trying to decide what to do, I'm trying to decide if I make the Ho'oloa my race/flatwater paddle what to get for my surf paddle?

Mana 84? Wiki 84? I'm mainly looking for something that does not flutter and works well with bad technique (as I know my technique breaks down pretty bad when I'm chasing a wave).
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal