Author Topic: Careful: we need new blood  (Read 11017 times)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Careful: we need new blood
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 08:50:14 AM »
Stats with only 33 don’t mean much anyway.

You're right, but in this case the stat is on 1 race.

A race on a lake called "the cold lake". Anyone surprised?

When a single race has a surprising low participation it usually is that something else bigger and better was going on that weekend.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 09:05:34 AM »
We never made it to the level of synchronized freestyle sup events :'(

I want to hear music........... and see beautiful paddling choreography...........

Don't you dare post the pathetic canoe garbage!
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 09:15:49 AM »
  Not surprising that kids aren’t really much into the worlds slowest sport.

Ahh, the truth, hiding in plain sight...

I used to love SUP racing. I'll still probably participate in a few this year. I have to admit though, I was in Tahiti for the past week and I got my first chance to paddle an OC1 and WOW. The difference in speed was instantly addicting. It was also humbling when I realized I had no idea how to recover from a huli and I was in the middle of the south Pacific  :o

Is there a sitdownzone.com??? Sign me up...

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 09:39:43 AM »
kayadogg,
I second that.  I started SUP for a year, the surfski, then OC1.  I have to admit, that my Allstar doesn't see near the water time that my ski or OC1 do.  I paddle flat water and small river downwind and the speed of the ski and OC1 are really addictive. 

Plus, you can paddle them much easier into the wind see as you are making your self into a giant wind sail by standing up!

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 10:10:44 AM »
Back to our regular program:
"Synched SUP - with classical music"

Anyway, made me laugh - so I thank you for that.

I think we are all right, and all wrong...
What could we do to include more kids into the sport?
What could help the sport and what isn't going to help kids into the sport?

I am just saying that we need new blood - because that's just how it works.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2018, 10:12:53 AM »
  Not surprising that kids aren’t really much into the worlds slowest sport.

Ahh, the truth, hiding in plain sight...
Ding, ding, ding....we have our winner!
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2018, 10:16:36 AM »
I can sense a "plateau" phenomenon at multiple levels.

*Plateau in participation numbers
*Plateau in board speed / technology lessening excitement for new purchases
*Plateau in individuals' fitness levels and race results; sense of "this is as good as I'm gonna get"

Also:

*I can no longer close the middle drawer in my dresser because it's overflowing with shirts from SUP races from 2015 until the present.
*I am realizing that I am too poor and too busy to make a dozen trips a year for SUP races. I still do all the local ones, but have gotten much more selective about the out of town ones.
*I have succumbed to peer pressure to try surfski paddling, and the challenge of learning that "new" and faster paddlesport is dulling my desire to push personal limits on SUP.

Nevertheless, I think that amateur SUP racing WILL continue at some level because:

*A huge base of low-performance recreational SUP paddlers provides a supply of "latent" racers, a small percentage of whom are lured into the race scene at some point via fun-oriented race events like Poker runs, adventure races, etc.
*Participation by old people still counts as participation, and the stock of old people is continually replenished by young people getting old.
*Performance SUP paddling is very good exercise and races are good motivation to stay fit.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 10:19:33 AM by FloridaWindSUP »
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2018, 10:25:47 AM »

Why does it have to "include more kids into the sport"...why can't you grow the sport simply by attracting more of the age demographics you're seeing now?

As has been pointed out a couple to times that I think you missed or chose to ignore...is that the "sport" is too slow, boring, and monotonous for kids to become interested in, unless their parents are involved in it, and the kids participate simply to give themselves something to do since they're there anyway when mom, and/or dad are competing.

But to think kids are going to clamor for a sport that's about as exciting as watching snail racing...c'mon, you can't be serious. But maybe you are, so let's try this...

I'm going to be a 15 year old high school kid....so in your own words, convince me why I should spend my weekends SUP racing, instead of one of all of the other available activities I have to chose from to spend my time on. I'm listening.  :)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2018, 10:28:12 AM »
I think there is a new SUP racing video game. The kids are really interested it........  ::)

If you're losing, you can just shoot or bomb all your competitors. Got to have the blood factor.....

Don't get your hopes up: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sup-multiplayer-racing/id1128327441?mt=8
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2018, 11:12:42 AM »

But to think kids are going to clamor for a sport that's about as exciting as watching snail racing...c'mon, you can't be serious. But maybe you are, so let's try this...

I'm going to be a 15 year old high school kid....so in your own words, convince me why I should spend my weekends SUP racing, instead of one of all of the other available activities I have to chose from to spend my time on. I'm listening.  :)

AS A RACE PROMOTER
I would ensure that there are kids events - to ensure that when the old folks like me fall off the wagon, there will be a replacement. Activities could include "Last kid standing", "quick race around buoys", "setting them up for success by removing wind factor when possible", "rescue drills / technique / races".

AS AN INSTRUCTOR
I would invite you to come on up and learn valuable rescue skills - made possible using a SUP. I know you will love it - just as soon as you attempt to rescue an old fart from the water, but just to be sure, all participants would get free soft drinks and pizza, private space in a real lifeguard tower made just for you for the event, etc... because there's no limit to one's imagination.

AS A PARENT
I'd let you know that we are going to go down a river on one weekend, and take our snorkelling gear on another unrelated weekend - so that we can get some lobsters... etc... because again, the list just goes on.

WHY MORE KIDS?
I totally realise that my 8 year old niece who barely bikes could in fact BIKE faster than most Elite SUP paddlers. Of course SUP Paddling is slow, but it doesn't have to be boring for kids - unless we make it boring for them. I will agree that for a kid, watching 15 adults drafting one another may not seem like a thrill. I will also agree that the sport's average speed isn't attractive either - until you catch a wave or something. HOWEVER, if you don't show kids how to enjoy biking, kayaking, SUP, skiing, snowboarding, swimming, hiking, dancing, etc... they may just be missing out on all these things.

So really, why more kids? Because WE need more blood into any given sport. The health of a sport can be arguably judged by the number of younger participants - in a race / or strictly as recreational. 
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2018, 12:11:07 PM »
I'm all for introducing kids to SUP but whether they take to racing is a whole different discussion. The CCBC gave 6 full sets of gear (boards, paddles, leashes and PFDs) to community boating in Boston. Even though there are lots of kids there...it's mostly adults that are using them. We had kids races at events, and I've seen others do the same. The numbers don't work. You think its tough getting enough adults to fill divisions/classes? It's even tougher to create a fair competitive race for kids. They're only there because of Mom or Dad.

We don't need to have organized competition to get kids into SUP.....just take them paddling and have fun. I take my 8 year old granddaughter out frequently, we explore creeks, go snorkeling, picnic, she loves it...asked for her own board this year. I've taken my soon to be step-grandson out a 1/2 dozen times....very gifted athlete, very competitive, sponsored motocross racer. He's a natural on a SUP. I have no doubt he would be very successful racing if he was interested......he's not, he said it looks "terribly boring" ...just wants me to take him surfing. Bottom line SUP racing is too boring for kids to care....shit it's too boring for me to care....and I think that says something. Maybe just that my attention span is short and that I'm not all that competitive but I think that's a big part of the reason for less participation overall.

I also don't agree with any need to be careful...Sano said it.
Why does it have to "include more kids into the sport"...why can't you grow the sport simply by attracting more of the age demographics you're seeing now?
Kids grow up, get older, then they get interested in SUP.... :) Aren't we all kids at some level trying to hold on to youth....
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 12:22:18 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2018, 01:50:20 PM »
A good hard look at the demographics of surfing in So Cal will let you know that Surfing in general is has far less participation per capita than it did when I was a kid 40 years ago.  The breaks may still be just as crowded (though not nearly what I remember unless it's a standout day) but the population is 4 times larger than it was when I was a kid.  The best part of SUP is that I can ride mushy junk waves and have a blast, and that just didn't happen very often when I prone surfed. 

I think I was aiming at a point, being, people are just not nearly as active today as they were pre-computer revolution.  The sedentary lifestyle has taken it's toll.  People don't see experience a walk down the street anymore, they just walk while reading their phone.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2018, 02:44:49 PM »
Stats with only 33 don’t mean much anyway.

Especially if you consider that 100.03 percent of the population do not really understand statistics... ;D

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2018, 04:56:12 PM »

a) people think I overreact when stating the obvious

b) people dismiss this as being a problem

c) people aren't at least trying to come up with solutions

stating the obvious/ are you guys seeing this too?
so photofr, you asked if people share your view and when some disagree they
're ignoring the obvious...
"careful...""alarming news""fear for the future" based on race in middle of the Alps is overreacting in my opinion.

So sad I forgot German, I couldn't read the SUP Alps trophy page. but I got they have kids categories. You're talking about Kalterer see, is it a big race?

The same weekend there were 3 big international events with lots of young guns (couldn't find age categories).

I m sure a fun race like the red bull Privateers treasure hunt should be appealing to youngsters.

Some sports need competition to be attractive, some don't necessarily, Some sports are difficult to practice once you’re getting older, some sports aren’t .
I bought a skateboard at the age of 40, I was a total fool.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2018, 05:45:59 PM »
I think there is a new SUP racing video game. The kids are really interested it........  ::)

If you're losing, you can just shoot or bomb all your competitors. Got to have the blood factor.....

Don't get your hopes up: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sup-multiplayer-racing/id1128327441?mt=8

Of course. WhaaaSUP dude. Means something else to most people.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal