Author Topic: Whybare the UK classifieds littered with Hypernuts?  (Read 2398 times)

devon_sup_surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Whybare the UK classifieds littered with Hypernuts?
« on: April 29, 2018, 07:32:41 AM »
Hi Guys

As above. There seem to be a huge number of these for sale in the UK- at least compared to any other surf sup or even other starboard model.

I must admit I have never tried one. But it makes me suspicious......is it because

Do they not suit UK waves?
Are they brilliant boards so everyone buys them, progresses and then sells on?
Are they very marmite and a lot of people dislike them?
Do people like the bragging rights of riding a 7'6 board- only to find the inevitable trade offs of such short length for intermediates or heavy paddles are not worth it?

These tommo boards do seem a bit marmite- is the Hypernuts the most tommo of them all- and thus the most polarised?

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Whybare the UK classifieds littered with Hypernuts?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 12:07:47 PM »
a few reasons- From what I have heard/seen- you guys have alot more Starboard penetration over there.  Here in the US the HN is a relatively expensive board and not carried by too many dealers.

I just also sold mine as well.  Heres my take on the maybes on the 'why'.

-The Board doesnt surf nearly as well in powerful waves as the initial reviews 'glowed' 
-You are right, Most SUPers doent realize what a challenge the front/back stability is in chop.  At the 7'4 and unders its alot to deal with

That said....

for the right weight rider and for fat waves- the board is really a blast. It rides like a skateboard. I envy folks who can use it every day. 

For me- My waves arent very fat, I bough the board in a bit too low of a volume and i learned that i prefer a surf shape...despite  the HN being able to fit in a hatchback.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 01:29:33 AM »
A very skilled guy here on CC who is a Starby sponsored guy got several new boards last year. Two were hyper-nuts which he sold immediately.

Word on the street is if you are ahead of the Coke bottle middle it surfs ok; on the tail behind the Coke bottle sorta okay; anywhere in the middle bah humbug!

He is an elite guy and is on Starby Pros under over 8'.

A really big compadre has the biggest hyper-nut and likes it as it is relatively short and floats him at 250.

Remember the huge buzz on the Naish short wide and thick boards? Many bought and many sold. Waaaay to thick, unstable, and a failure in the marketplace.

Try and see, horses for courses, YMMV as always!

Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 07:10:38 AM »
 my 8'0" HN is still my go-to board and has been for 3 years now. it seems perfect for me in our usual east coast waves. not being in the UK market, are most of these for sale under 8'0"? as i did with my ex-Schroom, i think we tend to go too low in size (if a pro can ride a 7'0" board at 75L, why can't i?), then realize the board is not magic, and sell them. it does not surprise me that the average pro would not need a HN.

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 08:18:37 PM »
i bought mine and sold it 3 months later, for me it just didnt ride like a surf board.
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal