Author Topic: Advice on Fins for Sunova Style  (Read 3664 times)

EMOCEAN

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Advice on Fins for Sunova Style
« on: April 26, 2018, 10:25:51 AM »
Hello,

I bought a 9'6 Style XL last summer.  Love the board, but I feel I'm not getting the most out of it with the stock fins.  I immediately took the side bites off because it was just too much work to maneuver the board.  It does much better as a single, but I think I can loosen it up even more with a better fin set up.  I read all of the old threads on this subject and it seems a lot of Longboarders prefer a more upright center in the 8-9" range.  Some like the thruster set up with a smaller center around 6.5", and the stock side bites.  Should I opt for both options based on conditions?  I'd kind of like to find what feels best and stick with it. This is my first foray into messing with fins, so any feedback is greatly appreciated.  I mostly ride this board on small, clean days.  I am 6'2" and 208 lbs.

Thanks,

Emo

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on Fins for Sunova Style
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 06:40:02 AM »
... I immediately took the side bites off because it was just too much work to maneuver the board. 

Is it possible that you are not getting your foot back far enough on the tail?  You can ride a performance longboard like the Style, just like a shortboard, with your back foot right over the fins. 

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 09:05:10 AM »
I have the 10'6 style.

I have found no fin combo better, after a lot of fiddling than a single 9.5 Greenaugh.

Its just amazing.  Still lets me get noserides, and lets a 10'6 spin on a dime when i get back on the tail. Note. i do NOT ride this board in waves bigger than waist high)

A good buddy tried it once and he has had the greenaugh on his since that day as well.

here sthe fin- Not associated with the company/website. Just a fan

https://www.cleanlinesurf.com/true-ames-fins-9-greenough-stage-6-fin-smoke.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwlIvXBRBjEiwATWAQImcChrvPWXecT2rYkmnXNOUdUas0elXbpA2s3xyK38baSHHBsG3EBBoCbp4QAvD_BwE

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 11:10:14 AM »
I have a 9’6 Style and use FCS II Connect Longboard Fin size 9’’ as single fin. Works perfect.

https://www.surffcs.com/shop/surf-longboard/fcs-ii-connect-gf-longboard-fin

EMOCEAN

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 04:27:28 PM »
I'd say that's a real possibility, Bean.  I still have a lot to learn when it comes to surfing this board.

Thanks for the recommendations on the fins fellas. Great to hear from people who have experience with the board.  That FCS connect is pretty much what I envisioned.  I've never seen the Greenaugh fin before, it is a very interesting concept.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 07:39:19 AM »
His name is George Greenough and one of the most influential names in the history of modern surfing.

Not to mention a Supercuts demo model.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 07:54:20 AM by southwesterly »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 08:47:32 AM »
I always ask for the Greenough at my local SC, but somehow always end up looking like a freshly sheared sheep... ;D

I suppose it's that way with fins too, we have to work with what we have.  There is also a ton of adjustment the longboard box alone.  Pushing the fin forward just a bit will really loosen up the board.

EMOCEAN

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 06:58:45 AM »
That's hilarious Bean.  I don't think I could pull off the Greenough either.  Hair aside, he is one interesting cat.  The videos he did deep in the tube are amazing considering the technology at the time.  I'll try moving the stock fin up a bit and see where it goes.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 08:10:00 AM »
The Futures Tiller longboard fin is a nice shape....decent drive and loose.

EMOCEAN

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 10:23:40 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the recommendations!  I'll let you know where my tinkering leads me

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal