Author Topic: Foils and Kelp in Northern CA  (Read 1920 times)

IRideYellow

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Foils and Kelp in Northern CA
« on: April 20, 2018, 05:56:23 PM »
Where are people foiling in Santa Cruz area to avoid the kelp?  I assume it has to be an area with a sandy bottom like Manresea or Cowells.  Any other areas? 

I've tried Pleasure Point and Steamers at higher tides as well as Its and Davenport.  Varying amounts of kelp or kelp debris in all which means often I have kelp on the foil.

Thanks
Starboard WidePoint 8'10, Sunova 8'10 Speeed (Sold), Wardog  7'10 Jammer,  L41 8'8 S3 (sold), Naish Mana 10 (sold), 3 Wavestorm 9'6

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Foils and Kelp in Northern CA
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 08:44:34 PM »
Reminds me of my windsurfing days..... chasing wind. It was 2 hour north, 2 hours south, or 2 hours east to the nearest steady wind spots. Nothing where I live :(
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 01:23:07 PM »
This has been my most significant question regarding foils. How do people deal with weeds? Probably not an issue for foiling on waves in Maui, but would be an issue for windsurf foiling in SoCal or the Gorge, as well as downwind foiling. I know that on a windsurfer or downwind paddle board, collecting a salad bar on the fin makes further progress impossible, requiring stopping and getting in the water to clear the fin. How much more weeds do foils collect?

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 04:42:22 PM »
I've been watching this kid that usually goes out at high tide Pleasure Point and surfs the inside reform where there is no kelp.

He's been getting pretty good and starting to go faster by the day.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal