Author Topic: SOLOSHOT3- 4/17/18  (Read 2485 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
SOLOSHOT3- 4/17/18
« on: April 19, 2018, 08:55:42 PM »
I've had all three generations of SOLOHOTS. It's first pre-sales started in summer 2012 and I became a Kickstarter backer for them w/only a couple days left before closing. I just thought it was the coolest thing ever. No more asking people to shoot video or take pictures for me. The first time I set it up in fall of 2012 I configured and calibrated it so poorly that I was only in frame once for like 5 secs! But the curve wasn't so bad and after a while it was so simple to setup.
The third gen is definitely a complex piece of tech gear. It's pre-sales started in late summer of 2015 and it wasn't released until fall 2017. There were quite a few unhappy people and I really felt bad for everyone, backers and the SS team as well. Now that it's been released for a while the device is starting to function better and better as new software updates and releases improve it.
I was in the first 100 backers to receive the SS3 in Oct 2017 and have done every update as they were released. It was very exciting to be one of the first to boot up the device.
The SOLOHOT3 in action here today.

https://youtu.be/Z8AC5-O0cUA
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 09:56:04 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SOLOSHOT3- 4/17/18
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 08:13:25 AM »
sweet vid cook!

(and finally a day when the waves looked better in North Jersey than down by you!)

All those noreasters didnt work up here bc of the N wind.

I may seriously consider one of those camera.   I have given up on all gopro footage except mouth cam for trying to get barrell videos while prone surfing

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 06:34:04 AM »
Thanks Cook

Great video. Good to see another Soloshot success. Your surfing is taking off! I think the Soloshot is a great asset to training in the surf. I did a recent update and noticed a high wind optics stabilization mode. There had been a lot of discussion on how to shoot in wind and perhaps this will help. Below From the website. Finally that still shot of you getting tubed on another post is epic!

Cheers

Bob

What is High Wind OIS and when should I use it?
High Wind OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) provides enhanced image stability when filming in High Wind conditions with the OpticX65 Camera.
How do you get this on your camera?  Easy:
Download the latest software
In Track app, go into settings (click ☰ at top, and select the gear icon)
Select "Camera Settings" and scroll down to "High Wind OIS".  Toggle the button on (it'll turn blue).
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 12:14:59 PM »
 When the camera finally got "warmed up" and zeroed in on you, it did great. Hope to see more videos from you.

Thanks for sharing your video.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 02:49:39 PM »
Thought I'd take my Soloshot3 along and fart around with it some more this morning.  Only had it out once before when it performed VERY well - no complaints....each time I went out in March it was either rainy or I just didn't want to mess with it. Today's session what pretty much the same.  No complaints.  Only thing I don't understand is how/when it zooms in and out somewhat randomly. 

When I first got to the beach this morning I used default tracking which is "Medium".....the first two waves of the video are captured in this mode.  Kinda funny....I rode my Creek in all my sessions in March/April and decided it was time to pay some love to me B&B given the weak and small waves. My B&B has a calf leash but the first couple of waves of the video show I'm wearing it around my ankle....kook move, I know! I came in after about 45 minutes and switched the camera/robot to "Tight" (waves 3 to end....oh, and I properly adjusted my leash to my calf).  I think I kinda like the "Medium" setting a little more in terms of overall video appearance.  "Tight" will be good for dissecting foot placement, corrections, etc.....boy did I get rusty on trying to cross step.....time to kick it up  a notch there!

Today was my first day in my 4/3......very nice to make the switch from the heavy winter suit!!!!

Spring is here.....here's hoping the waves will be too!

Video is only two minutes and intended to show a little example of the difference between "Medium" and "Tight" tracking settings.  Does anyone if the SS3 just randomly zooms in and out to various degrees depending on track setting?  Sure seems it.  Thanks!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CZQccthnr8&t=2s
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 08:13:19 PM »
Liking your vid, SupCheat. So cool to see someone else using a SS. I like tight setting best though. First time I got the SS working on tight I was like, holy smokes that's cool. One thing do in edit is limit the paddle in strokes. Three is even too many! Keeps the action flowing better. What happened to your horizon towards the end? Looks like the SS mighta shifted. Really good results though overall. thanx for posting ur vid here. Your waves were better than ours today. It was seriously ankle here today. Beautiful day though.
I may seriously consider one of those camera.   I have given up on all gopro footage except mouth cam for trying to get barrel videos while prone surfing
Go for it...and bring it to Surf city this summer. And don't give up on the GoPro. It's an amazing camera. I see there's a new gopro out. TheHero, it's styled like the six but stripped down function wise. Only $199.

Your surfing is taking off!
.....lol, Thanx, FRP, but I really wanna "Take-off" on a sup foil. Maybe this summer I'll try it. Just so costly to get the gear.

When the camera finally got "warmed up" and zeroed in on you, it did great. Hope to see more videos from you.
It's amazing how well the SS3 did after it centered me. Sure hope it works that good next time out. I have a bunch of raw footage from this past winter in edit. just been draggin' feet to finish it up.

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal