Author Topic: Production foilboards  (Read 23708 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Production foilboards
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2018, 11:08:21 AM »
The chopped tail is one of those things you try, then say oh shit!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2018, 01:34:11 PM »
Watching Dave or anyone is in the +50 category coming out of Maui is not a real representation of what goes on in the real world. A few years ago I was a pretty competent downwind paddler back home and when I went and did the Maui runs I'd get beaten by chicks older than me (one of them now rides a 5'6 foil board I believe).

Getting beaten by Kathy Shipman is the same as getting beaten by Devin Blish or Andrea Moeller. The only surprise is if they DON'T beat you. World class athletes. No shame in that whatsoever.

I do expect foil downwinding to be a big challenge, though I get to do it in probably one of the easiest places in the world to master it. On a good day the Columbia has waves with steeper faces than a lot of ocean breaks, and head high swells in spots to help get the basics down. I'll also have the right equipment. Some of the really great foilsurfers I've been getting advice and encouragement from took six months or more to get to the point I'm at in less than two months. Is that because I'm just so good at this? Absolutely not, not hardly. It's because the equipment is better now, the foils lift at lower speeds, and the advice is better--those folks paid the dues, figured it out, and told me how to do it. I'm cashing in their chips.

I tried foiling a 280 for a few minutes a couple of weeks ago. When I was paddling out I went over a swell and lifted the board off the water. In the gutless baby waves I had to keep all my weight on my front leg to keep the foil from breaching. I couldn't have been going more than four miles per hour. It wasn't my board, and I think the front footstrap was too far back for me--the owner is actually heavier than I am. Anyway, the point is, if I can fly a 280 in mushy nothing, and even get airborne going the wrong way, then how far away am I from at least getting up on a downwinder?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2018, 12:02:58 AM »
If the 280 Maliko is 2800 sqcm as Robert states in his video then there is hope - I've seen someone else say it's 32" wingspan and 1800sqcm. Mine is 2000 sqcm (39" / 100cm wide) and it feels huge. Can someone confirm the width and area of the Maliko 280?

On the 2000 I can get up on virtually nothing in waves and when I go on a downwind it's still not enough. I have ordered a 2400.

The Gorge is probably steeper than our Milnerton run but I'm told they are pretty similar. I've been amazed to experience how much less power there is in windswell with no ground effect compared to a swell hitting the bottom. It's a completely different story which I only realised once I'd tackled it on a foil.

I'm with you on the improvement in the gear - my first 4 downwinders were on a 1600 and my 8'10 Hokua - I think I did 24km's with sum total of two lifts that I couldn't maintain. The 2000 is better but I'm still close to nowhere.

The upside is that the 14' now pulls into everything.

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2018, 07:42:12 AM »
Is there concave on those Kalama boards?

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2018, 08:16:26 AM »
If the 280 Maliko is 2800 sqcm as Robert states in his video then there is hope - I've seen someone else say it's 32" wingspan and 1800sqcm. Mine is 2000 sqcm (39" / 100cm wide) and it feels huge. Can someone confirm the width and area of the Maliko 280?

My local shop told me the Maliko 280 has a 41" wingspan.

I would like one.  I wish Go Foil would let you purchase only the front wing.  I understand they have the taper and  insist it has to be a dedicated system, but I believe everything is the same as my Maliko 200 except the front wing.  Makes it pricey.
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2018, 09:16:53 AM »
If your Milnerton run has 30+ kts wind blowing against a flow rate of 300,000 cubic feet per second then it would be similar. People look at one dimension and draw those kind of conclusions. I'm as guilty as any, I constantly compare southside Maui runs to Viento (Hood River) runs, though they are not really similar at all. All columbia river waves are relatively slow moving because of the high current speed in the spring. The big waves in the wave-specific spots are related to standing waves--they're produced in part by the bottom contour and the high velocity water--somewhat like a wave in a rapid, though they actually still travel forward since they are partly wind driven. If you fall in spring you are swept backward the same as you would be in a rapid. Later in the summer the flow slows a lot, but it's always more than 2 kts.

You are right about the energy in a river wave. They can be mast high but still have relatively low energy because they are low period. Just looking at the mass involved, a peaky low period wave has a fraction of the mass of a long period roller. Of looking at the energy transfer into the wave, the distance for which the wind has been transferring energy into the wave is much shorter, expecially if the river meanders.

I surf the Columbia a lot, and one of the things I learned quickly is stay low in the wave. You can bottom turn in a river wave, but you can't do a traditional top turn. You have to stay low to stay in the energy. I suspect it's the same for foiling.

I'm looking forward to the challenge. I don't have a 280 yet to measure, but I can tell you it's a lot more than 36" since it makes the M200 look petite. 41" sounds about right. It's also a lot wider. It's the biggest foil wing I've seen.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 09:26:06 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2018, 09:17:25 AM »

My local shop told me the Maliko 280 has a 41" wingspan.

I would like one.  I wish Go Foil would let you purchase only the front wing.  I understand they have the taper and  insist it has to be a dedicated system, but I believe everything is the same as my Maliko 200 except the front wing.  Makes it pricey.

Agree... I too wish the Go Foils were upgradable.  My Maliko was somewhat obsoleted once they brought out the IWA and 280 wing and I would love to be able to upgrade the wings at some point.  It seems like more of lack of manufacturing tooling than conscious decision.  I am sure they will get there...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2018, 09:32:00 AM »
People do fit winds from other sets to their GoFoil masts, it just takes some work. Dave has multiple screw holes drilled in some of his wings to accommodate the difference. I would take a different approach and match up the tapers. Alex says that's the way to do it. I have the appropriate equipment in Hood River to modify the internal tapes to fit. I've asked both Alex and Karla for a 280 wing, but they are so distracted I consider it to be like asking me for something. I say yes and then fifty things distract me. I agree with 805, they'll get there, but it's not easy to scale to meet manufacturing demand without going broke.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2018, 12:10:06 PM »
The Gorge is probably steeper than our Milnerton run but I'm told they are pretty similar

peterp, I was able to do a Milnerton this past Dec on a visit to SA. Milnerton is nothing like the Gorge. The winds are similar but going against the current changes how the wave behaves compared to ocean swells. The drops in the Gorge can get steep but Milnerton has some bombs that roll through that are in a class of their own. Both are top 5 downwind runs but quite different in the dynamics at work.

OneSurfer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2018, 03:54:26 PM »
Dave Kalama has a bunch of his new production boards on the way. Dave is about ten steps ahead of everyone in his design,
If I can tell you any one thing about foilboards it's this--if it looks like a surfboard, it's wrong.

Hello,  Just responding because you seem to be on the inside!?  When you say that he has some production boards on the way does that mean people outside Hawaii may actually be able to get their hands on one?  If so, do you happen to know the timing?    I also saw a mention of some new shapes Jimmy Lewis is working on but I still only show the Hovercraft on his site.  I'm itching to get a new board over the GoFoils I just ordered but would hate to purchase something right before I would have access to some of the new shapes that are on the forefront of the sport.  Thanks for any help,
Christian

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2018, 08:50:59 PM »
Just contact Dave via Facebook. I haven't seen him for about a week, I think he's still in North Carolina. I was talking to Dave Peterson (he does Dave's glassing) yesterday and he told me Dave had sent two plugs to an Asian production outfit, but he didn't know when boards would start flowing.

The alternative is to contact Dave and get him to do a custom board. Dave does the shaping and painting pretty quickly, but the glassing takes a while--Dave's shop has Kalama boards everywhere. I think standard config is unidirectional carbon on the rails and a carbon deck patch. As fast as the shapes are progressing I think a custom makes more sense than normal. Dave P showed me two boards that were intended to be the plugs for DaveK's production boards, but by the time they were ready to ship the designs had obsoleted them. I think the current design is somewhat optimal. There will be more refinements, but probably not the huge changes over the last six months. There won't be a lot of foilboards that look like surfboards next year.

OneSurfer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2018, 04:58:12 AM »
Just contact Dave via Facebook. I haven't seen him for about a week, I think he's still in North Carolina. I was talking to Dave Peterson (he does Dave's glassing) yesterday and he told me Dave had sent two plugs to an Asian production outfit, but he didn't know when boards would start flowing.

Thanks for the response.  I don't have facebook to contact him but I can utilize someone who does.  I agree, custom makes more sense as it's very hard to find a smaller production foilboard.  I've been on the F-One Papeeno 7'7" and I'm ready to go smaller.  Just got a new GoFoil downwind set so in need of a board with a Tuttle box soon! 

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2018, 01:10:34 PM »
Here is a new one: 16 lbs Inflatable Foil Board with Tuttle box

https://bayareakitesurf.com/products/?item=104392

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 01:12:26 PM by Beasho »

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2018, 06:21:25 PM »
The 7'11" is only 7.26 kg  and only $899.  That's cool, I wish they had a smaller model.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2018, 12:46:28 PM »
It gets better.  F-One Inflatable will sail too on a foil!!!!

:o

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal