Author Topic: The value of an extra foot....  (Read 7862 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The value of an extra foot....
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2018, 09:12:21 PM »
Most long narrow-ish boards have decent primary stability. Some can get into weird little head tosses that might pitch you off, but the long rails provide buoyant stability--just not as much as getting wider does. Shape and distribution of the volume is more important on long boards. A wide board with too much volume along the stringer and not enough on the rails will still be somewhat stable--just not as stable as a board of the same dimensions that's designed not to tip. A long board with thin rails and no rocker is going to feel like you're logrolling.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2018, 09:31:11 PM »
Like Pono says, a 'log rolling' is pretty much the feel on unlimited's. Totally different that a 14'. It takes a little getting used to, but the boards react slower so you have more time to recover. The rocker spread out across a long board helps with stability as well. As far as glide, an 18' x 28" will glide so much better than a 14' x 28" because the curve from nose to tail is reduced. This almost completely eliminates any bow wake. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 07:27:39 AM »
Even if you're not going to get some of the classic unlimited shapes discussed here you're still going to see pickup in speed judging by my experience.

On my 16x25 all-around shape I get GPS readings of 5's and 6's mph compare to my 14x24 which is in the 4's and 5's mph. 6mph does not come by
regularly on workouts when on my 14' while on the 16' it's an every day occurrence. Mind you, I'm around 180.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2018, 10:34:03 AM »
Even if you're not going to get some of the classic unlimited shapes discussed here you're still going to see pickup in speed judging by my experience.

On my 16x25 all-around shape I get GPS readings of 5's and 6's mph compare to my 14x24 which is in the 4's and 5's mph. 6mph does not come by
regularly on workouts when on my 14' while on the 16' it's an every day occurrence. Mind you, I'm around 180.

Stop the torture.....thankfully I have my Ace-GT but I cannot fathom what a more flat dedicated UL shape would do on the light chop (flat water) on a 15 km run.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2018, 12:50:29 PM »

Stop the torture.....thankfully I have my Ace-GT but I cannot fathom what a more flat dedicated UL shape would do on the light chop (flat water) on a 15 km run.

I was wondering the same thing my self, what kind of gains I would see on a flat water dedicated 18.4X22, wetted surface wouldn't be much more than my current unlimited
so I think I would have enough engine to power it. But I'm perfectly fine with my current or similar shape, I suspect the Ace-GT is not a dog either ;)

18'4" sounds like a chore for a small guy like me. my 16x25 really handles like a 14" in almost every way, on and off the water, which is a really convenient.
in progress...

LeeBee

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2018, 06:37:48 PM »
Another option to consider. I am just about to officially launch my business handling Mistral's race hardboards. Their brand new Interceptor might be what you are looking for with  reasonable cost and high performance. It is 17' 6" by 24.3" it will perform in both flat and rough water conditions. It has an adjustable rudder system. If you are paddling on mainly flat water check out the Stealth a 17' 6" flatwater design, both would easily handle your size. My web site is www.nplpaddlesports.com Boards will be arriving in early June.
2019 Mistral Stealth 17' 6" x 24"
2019 Mistral Interceptor 17' 6" x 24"
2017 NSP Ninja 14' x 25"
2016 JP Australia All-Around 11' 8" x 31"
Stellar S16S surf ski
Kai Barton ARES OC-1 outrigger canoe

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2018, 08:46:34 AM »
Another option to consider. I am just about to officially launch my business handling Mistral's race hardboards. Their brand new Interceptor might be what you are looking for with  reasonable cost and high performance. It is 17' 6" by 24.3" it will perform in both flat and rough water conditions. It has an adjustable rudder system. If you are paddling on mainly flat water check out the Stealth a 17' 6" flatwater design, both would easily handle your size. My web site is www.nplpaddlesports.com Boards will be arriving in early June.

I've seen this board (pictures of it) a year ago or so, it's good to see they are finally coming out with it. Wondering if you have any idea
about the weight and price of the board.
in progress...

LeeBee

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2018, 05:46:59 PM »
Burchas,
I do, 17' 6" by 24.3" 364 liters x 35 lbs. Take a pass at my web site www.nplpaddlesports.com for details written by the designer Steve West. Price $3600 plus shipping. I will be picking up the boards in the Long Beach area the first week of June and am planning on dropping of a few boards already sold, if you are by chance between Southern California and Colorado. If you are further east I am looking for experienced paddlers to demo the boards and will sell then at reduced prices to such reps. I'll handle all the Mistral 14 foot and Unlimited race board models. Let me know if you have any interest.
2017 NSP Ninja 14' x 25"
Stellar S16S surf ski

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2018, 06:01:33 PM »
Hello Lee,
Do you know if there will also be a distributor in Canada? The equinox 14x26 looks very tempting to try?

Regards,
Blackfish Paddles

LeeBee

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2018, 07:36:21 PM »
Luc,
For the moment I am handling Mistral's hardboards in the USA. Not sure if there would be an import duty if I shipped one your way.
If you are interested perhaps we can figure out how to get one to you without excessive cost. I can check with our team in the Netherlands and get back to you.

Lee
2017 NSP Ninja 14' x 25"
Stellar S16S surf ski

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2018, 07:37:55 PM »
How much is the actual difference of adding about a foot - is it a big change?

There's roughly a 3% increase in speed per foot of length.

That's based on the equation for a boat's "hull speed" in knots as a function of its length, which is 1.34 x the square root of the length in feet.

The gains are greater at the lower end of the length range. Like, going from 14 to 16 is a bigger difference than going from 16 to 18. Also, factors like weight and surface drag start to increase with really big boards, so going longer stops being beneficial at some point. That point of diminishing returns may be reached earlier with lighter/weaker paddlers, but obviously a light, strong paddler like photofr is still benefiting up to at least 17'6.
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2018, 08:17:36 PM »
Luc,
For the moment I am handling Mistral's hardboards in the USA. Not sure if there would be an import duty if I shipped one your way.
If you are interested perhaps we can figure out how to get one to you without excessive cost. I can check with our team in the Netherlands and get back to you.

Lee

Thanks Lee. I have found that between, the exchange rate, the shipping and the duty/tax, it was very difficult to import on its own a board, Plus I have committed myself to never again buy a board without having tried it before....

Regards
Blackfish Paddles

LeeBee

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2018, 09:14:13 PM »
I understand, if you read my site you understand much of the reason i am doing this is to get folks on a high end board for a demo, before buying it, along with trying to keep pricing down. Perhaps I can set someone up either in Canada or a reasonable distance away in the USA and give you a chance for that ride.
2017 NSP Ninja 14' x 25"
Stellar S16S surf ski

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2018, 09:16:57 PM »
Burchas,
I do, 17' 6" by 24.3" 364 liters x 35 lbs. Take a pass at my web site www.nplpaddlesports.com for details written by the designer Steve West. Price $3600 plus shipping. I will be picking up the boards in the Long Beach area the first week of June and am planning on dropping of a few boards already sold, if you are by chance between Southern California and Colorado. If you are further east I am looking for experienced paddlers to demo the boards and will sell then at reduced prices to such reps. I'll handle all the Mistral 14 foot and Unlimited race board models. Let me know if you have any interest.

Thanks LeeBee!

I'm always interested in new shapes, I'll be back on the Northeast shortly. Our downwind group includes some experienced
paddlers such as our fellow zoner off-shore and I'm sure they'll be keen on putting it to the test. After such a long harsh winter
I can tell you there is a real hunger for bumps around those parts and this board will be put to a good use.

Analyzing the shape I suspect this board will be a good performer even in the the flats and upwind so all in all, could be a good
all-arounder for some paddlers who wish to have only one board.

I've read the designer notes and I could tell his line of thought sits very well with my idea of fun board though I have to
admit that at 24.3 wide at 364 volume this board might be hard for me to control at winds over 20 knots. That said, I never shy
away from a challenge so feel free to be in touch.

I general, I've always liked Mistarl boards, I've even copied some of their ideas into my custom shapes and I really like the fact
they are taking the leap back into the unlimited arena. Good Luck with your business, I'm glad paddlers the American market have
another good option for boards that also includes unlimited.
in progress...

LeeBee

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2018, 06:30:37 AM »
Burchas,
Thanks for the kind words. If any of your paddling friends is interested I'll sell them a board at a nice discount over my already aggressive pricing to get each model into the Northeast. I have a Vanquish and Interceptor going to a gentleman who races in Southern California who will give folks a chance to demo them. Living in Colorado with our predominantly flat water, I am looking forward to paddling the Sprint I've set aside for myself. The glide should be fantastic.
2017 NSP Ninja 14' x 25"
Stellar S16S surf ski

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal