Author Topic: Winter: Just Won't Leave  (Read 1774 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Winter: Just Won't Leave
« on: April 15, 2018, 11:48:11 AM »
Normally this time of the year where I live in southeast Texas, Winter has left the scene and Spring is in full bloom. Not this year. Our normal springtime low temperatures in the mornings are between 66-70 degrees F and our afternoon high temperatures are between 78-82 degrees F.

We caught the glancing blow of a bad cold front Friday night around midnight. The neighbor behind me has a small weather station and it recorded wind speeds of 55 mph when the cold front came through along with the usual thunder, lightning, hail, and 2" of heavy rainfall. A lot of straight line wind and it blew down quite a few trees in our area.

To add insult to injury, our ISP is Comcast and Centerpoint Energy powers Comcast's equipment. Some trees blew down and toppled over on some power lines which powers Comcast's equipment. The result, it knocked out our television and internet service for 18 hours. We got our service back around 6:00 pm Saturday evening.

Woke up this Sunday morning and it was 43 degrees F. Today's high temperature is forecasted to be 65 degrees F. Tomorrow, Monday morning's low temperature is forecasted for another 43 degrees F morning. But Monday's high temperature is forecasted to rebound to 79 degrees F.

These cold mornings and not so hot afternoon are playing havoc with our water temperatures for both freshwater and saltwater. The lakes, including the two in my subdivision, are around 64 degrees F. They should be around 70 degrees F at this time of the year. The beach water temperature is around 66 degrees when it should be around 71 degrees F.

So Winter is hanging around in the mornings while Spring is trying to hold serve in the afternoons. But when Winter finally vacates the scene and Spring takes hold in the mornings, I'll be ready. This past week I went and procured my beach parking permits for the Bolivar Peninsula, Galveston Island and Surfside, Tx. My new 11'1" x 30' One World has tasted freshwater, but hasn't tasted saltwater yet.

Hopefully, where I live, we won't be having any more of these hard cold fronts so I can let my new sup board taste a little saltwater beach water when the water temperatures reaches and holds in my comfort zone.

To bide my time until the mornings are a lot warmer temperature wise, I'm watching all of the webcams down on the upper Texas coast from the Bolivar Peninsula down to Surfside, Tx checking out the beach water wave and water conditions.

Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Winter: Just Won't Leave
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 11:56:22 AM »
Ridiculously cold here too....glad I'm not running the Boston Marathon tomorrow. 40 deg with the wind in your face for 26.2...I don't think so.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 12:15:39 PM »
Having a related problem here in the SW Florida: The weather is perfect, but the snowbirds just won't leave.
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 12:17:12 PM »
One of my neighbors is not a fan of cold weather either since he was born in Houston, Tx. He thinks we are having a combination of Winter and Spring so he calls it, "WinSpring".  ;D
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 12:19:30 PM »
Having a related problem here in the SW Florida

Looks like you're going to get that cold front, which passed through my neck of the woods late Friday, pretty soon now. It's a wicked cold front too with high winds and hail. Watch out for the tornadoes.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 12:36:37 PM »
I'm sitting ere in my shop and its rocking in the wind here on Lakes Bay in NJ

I'm headed home PA

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 01:25:24 PM »
It was 70º yesterday. Gorgeous! Of course I had to do all sorts of stuff for my son's birthday party. At least I got to finalize some repairs on my 14' cruiser.

Today it's 42º again with offshore winds. I took to the woods instead.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 06:08:41 AM »
It just keeps snowing! Not paddling yet even though the days are nice and warm down below. (and lots of happy paddlers)

Love spring! Best of both worlds.

Yesterday...

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 06:45:11 AM »
Another chilly morning where I live. Temperature got down to 42 degrees F for this morning's lowest reading.  :( But the afternoon temperature is forecast to be 77 degrees F.  :)

I checked the beach water temperature down at Surfside and as of right now, it is 67 degrees F.  And the water temperature for Lake Conroe is at 64 degrees F.

But even though the water temperature is in my comfort zone, there aren't any waves at Surfside.  >:(

http://www.saltwater-recon.com/surfside-cam/

Found a new cam for Surfside, but it takes a long time to load. It will say "buffer" and then say "connecting. It takes about a minute to load. The window will disappear and then re-appear showing the beach break. So if you click on the link, have a little patience.

http://texassurfreports.com/reports/surfside-beach/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal