Author Topic: I need to put a foil box into a board, how do I do it?  (Read 40473 times)

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I need to put a foil box into a board, how do I do it?
« on: April 14, 2018, 12:48:12 PM »
Since my Foilmount failed, I'm going to remove that and do it the right way this time.  Does anyone make a foil track cassette yet?  I don't want tuttle, so not going there.  If no one makes a track cassette, how does one go about doing it themselves?  Does it need to go all the way to the top of the board like a tuttle install?  Info much appreciated!

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I need to put a foil box into a board, how do I do it?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 12:59:54 PM »
How does this box look?  http://www.rideengine.com/GEAR/surf-foil/Surf-Foil-Track-Box.html

Think it's up for SUP surf duty?

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 01:29:06 PM »
I've got to ask why you don't want a Tuttle. If I was going to do the work of installing tracks in a board I'd do a combination track/Tuttle.

You don't need to connect the tracks to the top and bottom, they work without that, but I think over time the cassette will work against the EPS and crush it. I made a cassette out of XPS 100 foam--the 100PSI blue construction foam--cut a square hole in the bottom of the board and dug the EPS out of the board to expose the fiberglass of the deck. I smeared the underside of the deck and the edges of the hole with epoxy and then pressed the cassette into the hole with a sheet of 6oz prewet glass under it. I let the whole mess set up and then cut it flush to the bottom using my high-tech crosscut saw. Then I sanded it flat and routed the slots for the mast tracks. I also set these into the xps with glass under them, but this time I slit the edges of the wetted glass and spread it flat onto the XPS, laid on a sheet of poly and put a slab of marble two inches thick on top to weight it. My shop used to be a marble cutting outfit. I have TONS of scrap marble. If I were doing this today I'd sink a deep Tuttle between the two tracks right then. As it was I did that later. I sanded again, then bagged on two layers of carbon and one of 4oz. Sanded and hotcoated.

Then a month later I decided it needed a Tuttle. Rod Parmenter left a GoFoil tuttle block at my shop which is a deep tuttle wrapped with PVC foam with carbon top and bottom, so I appropriated it. I cut a square the length of the block and then trimmed along the inside edges of the mast bases--the spread of the mast bases is narrower than the GoFoil box. I cut all the way through since the GoFoil tuttle is also deeper than the L41. I trimmed the tuttle block to fit the hole, glued it in place with Gorilla Glue, and the glassed it over top and bottom with carbon and glass. It would have been much easier to install a Chinook Deep Tuttle box the first time, but I thought I didn't want one.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 01:34:39 PM »
I suppose fin boxes are OK. I used Chinook mast tracks. Those cassettes look fine but they are obviously made to attach only to the bottom skin. They'd probably be fine. Since I don't know that they will be, I prefer to go for as strong as I can make them.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 01:42:10 PM »
How does this box look?  http://www.rideengine.com/GEAR/surf-foil/Surf-Foil-Track-Box.html

Think it's up for SUP surf duty?

Yep, this is how you do it. Ride Engine showed it off at surf expo. I thought to just let everyone know the right way. Didn’t know they were having it made in China and selling it. It’s handy if you don’t have access to 2” thick divinycell.

I don’t trust anyone but chinook for my tracks.

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 01:49:09 PM »
I don't want just tuttle because I got used to a longer mast and want to stick with at least 28"... with my 4" tall tuttle to track adapter I get my 28".  However, I do have the WateRat tuttle box still from my other project, so I could do both, good idea!  I also have some 1/4" or so divinycell sheet that I could stack up to get a taller cassette if needed.  Right, ordering the RideEngine box!!  Thanks guys!

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 01:54:29 PM »
I found instructions on the Mac Kite site for the RideEngine box, do these sound legit?  ok to follow?

http://www.mackiteboarding.com/2018-ride-engine-foil-track-box/

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 02:01:17 PM »
The instructions are fine except they assume a 2.35" deep cassette is going to protrude past your deck when it's flush with the bottom.

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 02:17:37 PM »
Yea, gotcha, so that's where I'll glue on my layers of divinycell on top of the cassette to make it to the top of the board.

scubasteve

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 04:03:31 PM »
Since my Foilmount failed, I'm going to remove that and do it the right way this time.  Does anyone make a foil track cassette yet?  I don't want tuttle, so not going there.  If no one makes a track cassette, how does one go about doing it themselves?  Does it need to go all the way to the top of the board like a tuttle install?  Info much appreciated!
Hi Sharksupper
I have always used 3mm ply wood, just use a circular saw to the depth that you want,
 I generally go 3 inches deep then sink the wood in with epoxy,
 then rout out for the fin boxes and resin them into the wood.
Then glass over the top.
I have always used this technique, for my kite surfing board, having run aground at 40kph still no sign of move ment.
I use this technique on my sup too.
I wouldn't bother with devinercell is still just a foam.....not a timber.
Have a look at the pic.
Cheers
Scuba

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 05:04:45 PM »
That's pretty cool Scuba, though the plywood is just anchored to EPS. Still, that looks like a very strong and much cheaper way to go, PVC foam is damned expensive. I'll try that. Should work with Tuttles as well

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 05:51:57 PM »
Yea, gotcha, so that's where I'll glue on my layers of divinycell on top of the cassette to make it to the top of the board.

I have become 100% comfortable with Gorilla glue.  Its stronger than the divinycell, and the white beer cooler foam, sticks to everything, is waterproof and fills voids.  Just be sure to mix a little water in to get it to set, and prevent internal bubbles.

Density Test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgZ3A3igBbY

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 05:53:56 PM »
Gorilla Glue vs. Divinycell Strength test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM-txMeTjPo&t=2s

madeinsantacruz

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 06:42:25 PM »
Yes, the Ride Engine cassettes are money.  Easy to install and very strong.  Go for it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal