Author Topic: The crew's quiver evolution  (Read 11106 times)

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
Re: The crew's quiver evolution
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 02:19:41 PM »
What board should I get next?  ;D

A custom!  ;-)

Thinking about an Infinity Tombstone foil board  ;)
But would love to have the Blurr v2 custom!

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 05:49:52 PM »
I got the Laird to play around with on flat water between the times we got to the coast to surf.  We did take it into the surf now and again (but usually were prone).  When we did surf our big old SUPs, we did have fun.  I had it once in Maui in maybe 2009 and a guy there was on a 10' Laird.  I'd see him every day out in the break (double over ankle) and he kept trying to buy my Laird ("man, I want the 9-footer!", he'd always say).

I got that wrong!  My Laird was 10' x 27, 150 L.  It might have been the 2007 model.  I got it used from a guy in Seattle off of Craigslist in 2008.  I skipped work one day and drove 3 hours to pick it up.  The guy in Maui with the bigger one must have had the 11-footer. 
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 06:53:15 PM »
APPST & SaMo  ....those are impressive boards per year averages!

Luckily, the 2nd hand market is pretty solid on SUP, I've made some trades too.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 01:29:03 PM »
I got the Laird to play around with on flat water between the times we got to the coast to surf.  We did take it into the surf now and again (but usually were prone).  When we did surf our big old SUPs, we did have fun.  I had it once in Maui in maybe 2009 and a guy there was on a 10' Laird.  I'd see him every day out in the break (double over ankle) and he kept trying to buy my Laird ("man, I want the 9-footer!", he'd always say).

I got that wrong!  My Laird was 10' x 27, 150 L.  It might have been the 2007 model.  I got it used from a guy in Seattle off of Craigslist in 2008.  I skipped work one day and drove 3 hours to pick it up.  The guy in Maui with the bigger one must have had the 11-footer.

That one looks different than the Pearson Laird's that are more common with their potato-chip nose and pintail.  Is that a Ron House-shaped board?  Interestingly, I agree that a lot of the newer long-board SUP shapes are like going back to the older Pearson Arrow Laird boards which were great designs...

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 01:32:34 PM »
Is that a Ron House-shaped board?

Yep.  It was a Ron House (Surftech).
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2018, 02:24:57 PM »
I think I created quite a bit of indelible kook burn on quite a few guys when I was starting with my inflatables. I knew I was kook, but I figured kook hazing was part of the process.

I had a guy Sunday on the water at Sharks ask me if I was they guy a couple of years ago on the inflatable. He said he wanted to confirm it was the same person because my surfing was so much improved he wasn't sure. I said I did ride an inflatable, and nobody was more surprised than me that I got better.

When you are a grom at 63, it takes a while.

About a year ago, a guy I didn't recognize come up to me and he said "Welcome to our Sport".
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2018, 02:36:20 PM »
I don't want to even consider doing a graphic. I haven't bought all that many boards recently (just four in the last two years--oops, six) but between Hood River and here I have a hell of a lot of boards. They're kind of like motorcycles, fairly expensive to buy, cheap and painful to sell, so I don't have much motivation to get rid of them except the clutter. I still have longboards, which I haven't ridden (except for one painful episode) in ten years.

This year I'm going to thin the herd in Hood River and when we sell the Maui house there won't be a lot of boards in the container going back to the mainland. I'll probably put three or four in Maui storage, either the real kind or the buddy kind (feel free to use this but when I come back it's mine) and give the rest away. Friends first, kids second. Same in Hood River. I'll find some kids that need a board and give them one.

And no, I'm not giving away my Dick Brewer hollow balsa gun. That might be available from my estate, but you'll have to wait for me to kaack.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2018, 03:18:39 PM »
I don't want to even consider doing a graphic. I haven't bought all that many boards recently (just four in the last two years--oops, six) but between Hood River and here I have a hell of a lot of boards. They're kind of like motorcycles, fairly expensive to buy, cheap and painful to sell, so I don't have much motivation to get rid of them except the clutter. I still have longboards, which I haven't ridden (except for one painful episode) in ten years.

This year I'm going to thin the herd in Hood River and when we sell the Maui house there won't be a lot of boards in the container going back to the mainland. I'll probably put three or four in Maui storage, either the real kind or the buddy kind (feel free to use this but when I come back it's mine) and give the rest away. Friends first, kids second. Same in Hood River. I'll find some kids that need a board and give them one.

And no, I'm not giving away my Dick Brewer hollow balsa gun. That might be available from my estate, but you'll have to wait for me to kaack.

Don't forget that I still have the Angulo you bought from me stored in my friends garage.

Let me know if anybody is coming through Santa Cruz to pick it up so I can dust it off.

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2018, 03:36:26 AM »
That one looks different than the Pearson Laird's that are more common with their potato-chip nose and pintail.  Is that a Ron House-shaped board?  Interestingly, I agree that a lot of the newer long-board SUP shapes are like going back to the older Pearson Arrow Laird boards which were great designs...

I believe that is the Ron House. I wasn't a fan of that board. I always felt like it was too narrow for it's length and a bit corky because of its volume. I'm not sure sure how long Laird used the House design but it wasn't long after 2008ish that he went with Pearson. The Laird Pearson Arrow by contrast is the best surfing "longboard" style SUP I've ever used. That pin tail with the razor sharp rails in back surfed off the tail like a dream. If I ever do a custom board I am going to bring my (beat to shit) 10' 6" Pearson Laird to the shaper, point to the tail and say, "I want THIS in a 9'6 x 30 x 120 L"
Bunch of old shit

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2018, 08:41:06 AM »

I believe that is the Ron House. I wasn't a fan of that board. I always felt like it was too narrow for it's length and a bit corky because of its volume. I'm not sure sure how long Laird used the House design but it wasn't long after 2008ish that he went with Pearson. The Laird Pearson Arrow by contrast is the best surfing "longboard" style SUP I've ever used. That pin tail with the razor sharp rails in back surfed off the tail like a dream. If I ever do a custom board I am going to bring my (beat to shit) 10' 6" Pearson Laird to the shaper, point to the tail and say, "I want THIS in a 9'6 x 30 x 120 L"

Or you can just have Bob shape you a 9'6... Incidentally, I still have a Pearson 10'6 as well but mainly surf the newer 9'0x29.5x113L Laird Surfer (shaped by Terry Chung, I believe).  It is a bit different than the Pearson but quite good as well and more durable because of the PVC sandwich.  I also had it in the 9'6x30x121L but sold it after I downsized to the 9'0.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 12:58:37 PM »
this is a cool thread!

Heres mine from memory....2012-2018

10'10 Isle Glider 180l (x2 one was Wifes board)

9'4 Fanatic AllWave 152l

8'5 Starboard Poctet Rocket

10'6 Sunova Style 148l (still in quiver- longboard)

7'4 Starboard Hypernut 106l (still in quiver- for sale)

8'8 Riviera El Tigre 123l

7'10 Rysotomy Scud  125l

7'11 Rysotomy Aloha  120l

8'2 El Tigre Wide  119l

8'11 Infinity TL 125l

9'1 Jimmy Lewis Super Tech 128l (still in quiver- winter board)

8'4 Focus Raw 114l (Still in quiver- favorite board)

8'2 JP Surf Wide (Still in quiver- summer groveler)

9'0 Riviera Turbo Nugg 152l (still in quiver-Wifes board)

9'2 Rysotmy Soft Top 150ish (Still in quiver-Kids Board .)

HOLY I've owned 16 boards......I have a problem.  I'll be signing off to go to Craigslist used board Rehab........

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2018, 01:51:10 PM »

Don't forget that I still have the Angulo you bought from me stored in my friends garage.

Let me know if anybody is coming through Santa Cruz to pick it up so I can dust it off.

Hmmm, okay, seven. I'll be coming through at the end of summer.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2018, 02:10:40 PM »
My boards since 2010 in order of acquisition:

9'3 C4 SubVector - Sold
10'0 PSH Hull Prototype - Sold
10'6 PSH Gun Ripper - Snapped and retired
8'2 Starboard Wide Point - Sold
7'0 Dave Mel SUP Fish - Converted to Foilboard once my Ke Nalu arrives
9'8 Starboard Pro - On long term loan to my mother
8'10 JP Surf Pro - Sold
8'8 Sunova Speeed - Current go to board
8'0 Surfboards Makaha Hammerhead - Sold but kinda wish I didn't
8'3 Rawsom ProMo/Impala Hybrid - Wish I was in shape enough to ride
11'6 Naish Gun - Picked it up cheap for the 3-4 days a year its big but not too big for me

Also around for family members and friends:
11'6 Naish Nalu
11'4 Naish Nalu
9'3 PSH Ripper
10'6 PSH All Rounder

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2018, 06:03:02 PM »
exiled-

is your rawson ProMo/Impala hybrid a custom.

that sounds amazing. I was too bog for all the pro Mo's when they came out- but a little more Impala volume would have been awesome.  I settled on the RAW when i found one.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2018, 06:23:54 PM »
exiled-

is your rawson ProMo/Impala hybrid a custom.

that sounds amazing. I was too bog for all the pro Mo's when they came out- but a little more Impala volume would have been awesome.  I settled on the RAW when i found one.

It was a custom order. Impala nose on the ProMo gives it an extra ~5L of volume. I ordered it to push my limits, but so far the board has won.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal