Author Topic: Carolina Cup first timer questions  (Read 1635 times)

ForeverBlue232

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Carolina Cup first timer questions
« on: April 14, 2018, 05:07:25 AM »
This will be my first time at the Carolina Cup.  I've got my room reserved at the Blockade Runner, and I think my truck is just ok enough to make the trek from Indiana.  I pick up my brand new board the day before the races.  What things should I know to make my CC experience as smooth and fun as possible?  How does the board storage work at the host hotel?  Can you take your board in and out of storage as you please on Friday?  I get into town Friday, probably around 4-5pm.  I was thinking I would check in, then go pick up my board.  I know, since I've never been on the board or even one like it, that I want to get a couple hours practice in before it is stored for the night.  Do I want to get my practice in before I try to put it in the hotel's storage, or can I pick up my board on my way into town, and store the board when I first arrive, and then get it out after a few and practice?  Any other advice from those of you who are veterans at the CC? 

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Carolina Cup first timer questions
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 08:32:38 AM »
BR Storage room is basically an event hall. They have a bunch of racks and when they run out of rack space they put it on tables, it works just fine.
When you store you're board you get a ticket with a number on it and this is how you check it in an out of the room.
You can take it in and out freely as long as they have someone there, otherwise, you'll have to locate staff member to help you, but I had no issues.

If you're doing the graveyard course, I would definitely recommend getting your feet wet with your new board before the race, especially around the
Mason Inlet around the same tide as race day, water there get very very shallow and you'll want to see if you can surf you're way in on those tricky
short period waves without hitting the ground with your fin at some point.

The other thing is getting out of the surf zone, could be big or flat but if there is surf, maybe you'll want to practice getting out on your new board before
the race.

Good Luck :)
in progress...

ForeverBlue232

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Carolina Cup first timer questions
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 11:21:09 PM »
This being my first time, and my seventh race period over the last 1.5 yrs, I'm doing the Harbor Island race.  Maybe next year the Money Island, and then hopefully the Graveyard eventually.  I have almost zero experience in the surf, so I will have to work up to the graveyard.  Though after my race, I do want to try out getting in the surf a little bit while I have the chance.  I don't find surf in central Indiana.  😎

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal