Author Topic: Woo-Hoo downwinder.  (Read 5152 times)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Woo-Hoo downwinder.
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 07:39:08 PM »
Nice session and cool edit.

I would encourage everyone downwinding to pair up with someone for safety reasons.. and if you see a newbie downwinder don’t leave them behind alone. I think too many people treat DWers as a race and the need to get your best time becomes their priority rather than just having fun with others out there..  :)

Agree.

Doing ski alpinism in the mountains one sticks together. It's just mandatory. Even races are team events and the team has to finish together and rope together in sections.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 07:40:54 PM »
Oh, and BTW, the fin that comes with the board goes in the little slot on the bottom side. Not on the deck.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 03:48:10 PM »
Oh, and BTW, the fin that comes with the board goes in the little slot on the bottom side. Not on the deck.

Ha.. To get across the shallow water on the sandbar at the end I usually walk well forward on the board and drag the fin even though the tail of the board is lifted it still drags.. But on this day it was only about 2” deep in places and doing that wasn’t working so I decided to just click the fin out drift across the sand to the beach and it worked great..  :)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 05:32:44 PM »

Thanks.. I would encourage everyone downwinding to pair up with someone for safety reasons.. and if you see a newbie downwinder don’t leave them behind alone. I think too many people treat DWers as a race and the need to get your best time becomes their priority rather than just having fun with others out there..  :)

Great vid DJ, and captures many many details that makes for a great run including the fries at the end..

I'm with you totally on pairing up, and sharing the stoke with newbies. Having moved from Hong Kong to the US, I'm starting at ground zero here downwind crew wise and so the only way to get fellow downwinders (apart from Burchas and a few others) is to get people out who have never downwinded before.

We had a day like yours here on the Long Island Sound at the weekend, and it was the 2nd downwinder for one of our local crew here having done a similar one last year with me.. "Is it always like this?" he asked when we finished... My answer was "I wish it was!". He's nailed two of the best downwinders I've done since arriving by chance!

One great thing about going out with paddlers new to downwinding is that you can "stop and go" as you stay with them, and really take in the whole experience of being out there in wild conditions rather than going flat out the whole way. It is those moments of sitting down on the board out there in the middle of the mayhem (wind and sea condition wise) while feeling totally at ease, that I remember more sometimes than linking bump after bump...
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 09:05:19 AM »
Great video. Very nice conditions. Awesome gliding  ;)
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal