Author Topic: Who changes between wings on the Go Foil regularly?  (Read 3491 times)

norcom

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Who changes between wings on the Go Foil regularly?
« on: April 09, 2018, 07:43:19 AM »
Is there anyone with multiple wing sets for the Go Foils who likes to change them out often? Does changing between wings loosen up the wing to fuselage interface over time? Does it get sloppy?

Seeing the below video by Aguera on YouTube concerns me having to hammer the crap out of the wings every session. I take my foils apart to transport and wash them. Love the single bolt and fuse/mast combo but having to hammer to change wings makes me resoncider getting a multiple set.

https://youtu.be/Bl6_7dennMs?t=104

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Who changes between wings on the Go Foil regularly?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 08:28:22 AM »
I have a triple set, but haven't ridden them yet so not sure if I'll be switching often or not.  I saw that same video and thought he was crazy, then when mine arrived and I saw how thick the trailing edges were and how strong they feel, I don't have a single concern.  :)

These things are insanely strong, feels like you could run them over with a car!  Anyway, I took a little silicone spray and lubed them up and they come of much easier, just like in the video.  Nothing to worry about.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 09:26:18 AM »
Anyway, I took a little silicone spray and lubed them up and they come of much easier, just like in the video.  Nothing to worry about.
When I had my Slingshot stuff, they said to use Lanolin oil on all of the mating surfaces, along with that, and teflon tape on all of the bolts. Never any problem getting anything on or off with that stuff.

I'll be using it on my GoFoil stuff as well....if it ever comes in.  >:(
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 10:43:33 AM »
Yup, a little lube helps a lot. I used a little Molycote on the fuselage. I also use a different hammer than the one Alex recommends. That hammer is certainly a safe choice but you have to whale on the parts with it. I use a Urethane dead blow hammer. It transmits a lot more force. Also, don't whale on the wings with the foil in the board. I shouldn't have to say that, but I see it all the time. Support the mast close to the fuselage against something resilient. The picnic table at Ka'a is ideal. I have taken the wings off with the foil in place using the picnic table, but i slid the board under so the mast was against the table edge. Just an experiment and not really worth doing, but I like to try stuff.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

norcom

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 12:32:53 PM »
These things are insanely strong, feels like you could run them over with a car!  Anyway, I took a little silicone spray and lubed them up and they come of much easier, just like in the video.  Nothing to worry about.

I think I'm more worried about the hassle than damage. Bolting the foil together and attaching it is a chore in itself. Though I mitigated that partially with an electric screwdriver on my current foil. Having to bring the hammer out just adds another step. After a tedious day I can totally picture myself missing and smacking the hammer handle on the wing.  Changing wings on the sand while the board is attached is another concern I have as the fitment is so precise and sand gets everywhere. Windsurfers know what I'm talking about when trying to separate a stuck two piece mast.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 12:34:58 PM by norcom »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 01:29:03 PM »
I have a 2 pack: IWA and Maliko 200.

I swap them out pretty regularly and have stopped worrying about the wear factor.  My front wings come off pretty easily.  The rear wing is very sticky.  But I only have one rear wing for the 2 pack so its not an option.

If its less than 5 foot faces I will use the Maliko 200.  Above 5 foot faces (on the sets) and I will use the IWA. 

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 04:01:31 PM »

I think I'm more worried about the hassle than damage. Bolting the foil together and attaching it is a chore in itself. Though I mitigated that partially with an electric screwdriver on my current foil. Having to bring the hammer out just adds another step. After a tedious day I can totally picture myself missing and smacking the hammer handle on the wing.  Changing wings on the sand while the board is attached is another concern I have as the fitment is so precise and sand gets everywhere. Windsurfers know what I'm talking about when trying to separate a stuck two piece mast.  ;D

Yea, I hear ya, I've had many terrible stuck masts!  I don't think you'll have that bad of a problem with these as the feral is shorter and has a steeper fitting angle, it's also square.  That said, yea, I'd say the hammer is required.  I doubt the wood of a hammer would damage the trailing edge of the GoFoil wings!  Seriously, it's 3/32" - 1/8" thick solid carbon!  You'd probably hurt the hammer first   ;)

Each design has pluses and minuses, we just have to decide what is best for our own use/preference.  For the GoFoil I'm going to take a guess that strength is it's number one design goal, vs. ease of use compared to other designs I've seen.  Does anyone know of anybody who has broken one?  In anyway, not just on the water?  I'd love to hear what it took!  I do like having less bolts to lose/strip/corrode.

The GoFoil is a seriously quality product, you should definitely try to see/feel one in person... ha, and haven't even ridden mine yet!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 12:49:27 PM »
I've see YouTube guys with reef damage and it's minimal. Yet to see one cracked. They look crazy solid from that one that's shown cut open.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 10:20:25 AM
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut