Author Topic: Building a short board what size do you reckon?  (Read 3604 times)

scubasteve

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Building a short board what size do you reckon?
« on: April 12, 2018, 01:55:46 AM »
Hi Guys

Looking for input from you people with more experience on boards than me 😉.
Been kite foiling for 4 yrs
Getting into SUP foiling.
Already have a home made
 7'6"
But want a smaller board for winter and bigger waves.
48yrs young
 6' 
weight 93kgs
I have just drawn up 2 boards on  Aku.
I just want your opinion on  which one to build.
Thanks for your help.
Scuba.😁

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Building a short board what size do you reckon?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 02:39:06 AM »
There’s something wrong with your volume calculations. Where I come from, 107L is 188 beers.

I hope this is helpful :)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 05:40:32 AM »
Hey there. My only input, and not based on anything but observations, is that the tail, could just be more square which would give you a straighter rail and more stability so you might drop the width a bit.

If you see where Dave Kalama is going, he's making basically body boards nowadays.

Also, it seems that a sharp tail rocker is standard for any foil shape.

But I'll leave it to the real pros as Charlie, Blaine Chambers and others are still keeping shape to things and have way more experience than I.

Anyone got any feelings on this?

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 06:54:18 AM »
I've got nothing for foil boards design but let's talk about that beer/volume relationship.  At the end of the day I suppose it comes down to the volume per beer, are you drinking 12oz bottles/cans, pouring pints or other.

Following the lead of Dave Kalama though is probably not a bad move.

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 07:23:48 AM »
A couple of things to try ...

Reduce the nose rocker.   6" nose rocker will make it harder to paddle (it will plough water).   

Smooth out the foil in the nose area.  The nose foil looks like it will catch water and create drag when paddling.

Make the deck flat with tapered/angled rails.  This will allow you to reduce width and/or thickness while keeping volume the same.  It will also make the board more stable.   

Increase the aspect ratio of the outline a little.   

Check out Infinity's Tombstone foil board shape for inspiration....

Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

scubasteve

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 04:49:01 PM »
Thanks for all the replies :D

With the beer thing, I drink pints of Hop Hog which is an IPA from Feral brewing co Western Australia, if you see it anywhere try it, its the bomb.

Thanks for the photos of the blank Anonsurfer and the info on the rocker, great pics of the rails.

I have redrawn the board, I was going down the route of the latest Dave Kalama board.

I have reduce the rocker to 3" and made the thing more like a Mc'donalds tray( square) :o.

I just want it to track well even though its a short board, I was going to run a single concave running into a double concave at the tail.
Any other ideas to make it track well?
I see that Dave's new board has some sort of fin at the front of his board?.

Thanks again for your help
Scuba

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 12:34:52 PM »
No surprise with this genre of shape that my Mallet design with "Chisel Tail" is within 0.11 liters of your volume on your last design iteration at your dims...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2015/01/mallet-sup-2.html

Personally, I think that you took out a little too much nose scoop with your last iteration...I'd add back in at least an inch...same with tail scoop...at your weight on such a short board...you are going to bury the nose with water washing over it...not much real estate in front of standing area...

Attached is a board that we just finished for a guy a little bigger than you...but, he is also using it to windSUP and windFoil...so, he needs to be able to uphaul on it...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 12:53:22 PM »
Agree on the rocker, I think that's going to be the hardest thing to get right on these boards. Plowing water vs having enough to "bounce" when you breach the foil. I got nothing but you can always sand it a bit if you hate it. ;)

scubasteve

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 03:30:46 AM »
No surprise with this genre of shape that my Mallet design with "Chisel Tail" is within 0.11 liters of your volume on your last design iteration at your dims...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2015/01/mallet-sup-2.html

Personally, I think that you took out a little too much nose scoop with your last iteration...I'd add back in at least an inch...same with tail scoop...at your weight on such a short board...you are going to bury the nose with water washing over it...not much real estate in front of standing area...

Attached is a board that we just finished for a guy a little bigger than you...but, he is also using it to windSUP and windFoil...so, he needs to be able to uphaul on it...

Thanks for the input.
Great looking boards by the way.
I realised that the rocker was not right after posting.
I have gone 3" 1/2" front an 1" tail rocker.
What should I do with the bottom to make it track as best I can?
I will probably run with the beveled rails as suggested.
Was thinking of a single concave to double concave at the tail.

Cheers
Scuba
😁
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 03:32:41 AM by scubasteve »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 07:18:34 AM »
Shapers need to rethink everything and approach design from what it is...flying a wing, not surfing the water.

I see some whack foilbaords on instagram.

Some dumb stuff I’ve seen on instagram
Step rail....WTF... at no point are you surfing the rail
Fancy concaves....for what...you’re not surfing the water. All you care about is a few sub planing paddle strokes before you fly. What bottom paddles fastest at sub planing speeds? Displacement bottoms
If you ever touch down, you want to ricochet back into the air without doing a nose plant, and without loosing momentum. You need a no stick bottom that bounces.
Foils add weight, adjust volume for it.
The foil should paddle at the ideal AOA, otherwise you’re not paddling fast. Does your rocker help or hurt this goal?
You should be able to pump without tapping the tail.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 02:19:01 PM »
^^That.

I got into a little Facebook pissing match with Dave Kalama about how fugly his boards are. All in fun since he was shaping a board for me at the time. At least I HOPE he knows I was kidding. Dave's latest board for himself is berserk. Looks like a tub toy. Dave is only about 20 pounds lighter than me and it's a 5'2" I think. If these things get much shorter they'll be wider than they are long. The rails are sharply and deeply beveled, and you can see why when you watch Chris P or Dave turn the things on wave faces. They touch the face with the rail with no effect on the board. With my huge 8'5" X 33" Jimmy Lewis with traditional 50/50 rails, touching the wave face is an instant dismount. Likewise the tails are wide and deeply beveled, both for clearance when the board is low on the foil with the nose up, and so you can pump the board up without having to push against pounds of bouyancy. The only way I can pump my beginner Jimmy board is when it's well clear of the water. Jimmy's new performance boards are as radical as Dave's.

The nose on all the performance boards are built to both paddle the board and to survive a nose-first touchdown. If you get a little carried away popping up while catching a good sized wave you are likely to suck air under the wing. The result is a quick dive. If the nose is shaped for it you can slam down and get back up. If it's not then you enter the water like a lawn dart and pitch over.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal