Author Topic: 'Tis the season for shark sightings  (Read 4949 times)

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
'Tis the season for shark sightings
« on: April 11, 2018, 10:24:15 PM »

I was scared out of the water sup surfing yesterday by a shark near Pismo Beach, Ca.  I was the only guy out in 3 to 4 foot surf.  It was traveling from north to south just outside the breakers as I was pointed out to sea waiting for a set.  I saw it approachng very slowly with about five inches of it's fin breaking the water.  I kept hoping it would spout like a common dolphin.  It never did spout.  It continued south just under the tail of my board.  I would say it was an approx. 8 footer.  Most likley a great white juvenile.  It did not circle me or act aggressive.  I was circled by approx 12 foot great white shark several years ago on the same beach that scared the****out of me.

I got a good look at it when it passed just behind me.  It just continued south very slowly.  I was mostly pissed off as I just got out in the water and really needed some sup surfing exercise.  I did not want to go in.   I stayed out in the water and caught some more waves until I got caught inside on a larger set.  I had to ditch my board.  With my legs dangling inside and and having a leash that broke last time I was out...I used some common sense and called it a day. 

My unofficial documentation of 50 plus years of surfing in California tells me that the months of March, April, May and June are when the most shark sightings and bitings occur in Calif.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 'Tis the season for shark sightings
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 10:34:55 PM »

My unofficial documentation of 50 plus years of surfing in California tells me that the months of March, April, May and June are when the most shark sightings and bitings occur in Calif.

So... What are you trying to say? You don't like being lower on the food chain?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 11:23:09 PM »
I'm thinking your data set is pretty slim. With 187 shark bites in all of California since 1900, 16 of them fatal, that's a moving average of 10 per year for 840 miles of coast. As far as sightings go, can't say much about that. Ever since "sharks in the water" became news, all bets are off.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 07:05:44 AM »

Just reporting a credible shark sighting...that's all.

Yes.  I do not like being circled by a large shark and that "Feeling" like your being hunted.  Another reason I like larger boards in the at least 140 volume category. He he.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 08:18:37 AM »
We went out at San O last sunday about an hour after others sighted a Great White or two in the line up.  We didn't see any and surfed for about 3 hours.  I'm not going to say I didn't have my head on a swivel...  but hey, the surf was fun.

As my wife and I were driving home, we were discussing the lack of available friends to join us doing the things we like.  Most of our friends have been made through either basketball leagues, volleyball leagues and coaching, church or neighbors.  Still, even considering the athletic component, I still had to laugh.  I said to her, "Honey, we're in our mid 50's and just went surfing for three hours with great white sharks sighted in the water.  Exactly how many of our friends are going to sign up for that?"

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 08:30:14 AM »
I'd like to see an 8'er cruise by...though falling and losing my board would be a little nerve wracking. Good time to call it. A  12'er that was checking me out would get me out of the water for sure.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 09:39:37 AM »
I'd like to see an 8'er cruise by...though falling and losing my board would be a little nerve wracking. Good time to call it. A  12'er that was checking me out would get me out of the water for sure.

The first year that we were living in CA, I drove up to El Porto/Manhattan Beach with a buddy of mine. That was where the juvey white shark action was at the time. We saw 3 whites within the first 15 minutes (saw all 3 at the same time, not the same one). At one point, one was swimming towards us, about 20 yards away and my buddy fell in. The shark immediately did a 180 and took off. They're definitely cautious and shy.

I always heard that if you're being "hunted", you won't see them until it's too late. I loved seeing them when I used to surf at SanO/Trails. You start to get used to it after awhile.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 10:10:14 AM »

I kept hoping it would spout like a common dolphin.  It never did spout.  It continued south just under the tail of my board.
You can ID it way before that, if the dorsal was going straight with some up and down, you know it's a dolphin or equivalent, if the dorsal is going side to side, then it's time to start to worry.  No need to wait for any spouts.
It takes a quiver to do that.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 11:05:25 AM »
A buddy of mine was sup surfing Nukes by himself a few months ago. He saw this big shadow go by him slowly. Next time it came by, he saw the eye. It was a big momma, and it was cleverly rolled to the side just enough to keep it's dorsal fin below the surface. He said it was close to twice the length of his board. He paddled in. He said it didn't really freak him out until he was standing on the shore and had time to process what just happened.
It's not overhead to me!

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 11:26:59 AM »
Big, BIG sharks at SanO, they're all over the place bumping boards, and smiling up at ya. Don't go to SanO, and pass the word along to anyone you know who might even consider heading down there!!  ;) ;D

Oh ya, the waves are also crappy, the proners are cranky, and the showers are cold. Doho is much much better I hear... 8) :D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 01:31:41 PM »
Big, BIG sharks at SanO, they're all over the place bumping boards, and smiling up at ya. Don't go to SanO, and pass the word along to anyone you know who might even consider heading down there!!  ;) ;D

Oh ya, the waves are also crappy, the proners are cranky, and the showers are cold. Doho is much much better I hear... 8) :D
Everyone knows there are bigger sharks at SanO ::)
It's not overhead to me!

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 01:55:27 PM »

Everyone knows there are bigger sharks at SanO ::)
Yeah, I don't know...lots of folks talk about knowing they're out there, but quite a few look like this once they actually see one cruising under them....

http://www.gifbin.com/984586.gifv

...and they're hightailing it out of the water. "Hey buddy, your board...what about your board?"  :D

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 02:00:24 PM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 02:52:50 PM »

I'm with Stoney. I think seeing sharks is cool. I've seen little ones in Florida only. Perhaps 15 feet of Mr. White would change my perspective though.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 12:36:16 PM »
I love seeing them...even interacting with some species is OK. Bulls, Tigers and bigger Great Whites would spook me though.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 03:25:17 PM »
Yea the SanO sharks are pretty active lately.   

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/04/11/unexpected-great-white-shark-extras-show-up-during-filming-of-animal-kingdom-at-san-onofre-state-beach/

I hope they don't do the bump & bite like what happened to that poor kid at Kukio recently. 
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal