Author Topic: Quobba Fins  (Read 3946 times)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Quobba Fins
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 08:45:55 AM »
First thought after reading this....
They were inspired by the movement of the fastest fish in the ocean and have taken 38 years and more than $2.5 million to develop.
....."geez, they're gonna have to sell a lot of fins to make that kind of dinero back"  :o
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 09:58:52 AM »
We are dealing with a foil. A fin is a foil. It's like an aeroplane wing on its side. And foils give lift," he said - TRUE.  But the fins are opposing each other and therefore the opposing lift creates MASSIVE DRAG.

"We are creating a low pressure system around the base of the surfboard to help the fin system get sucked forward into that low pressure system as the surfboard moves through the water. - WHAT?

"The faster the water is moving around our fin, the more the pressure becomes lower.  :o  And?

"We have a saying, 'the faster you go, the faster you go,' because that is what is actually happening. It's like a turbo." Here it is SURFER SPEAK.  They should have spent some of that money on a few Aeronautical Engineering classes. 

This fin creates lift unequivocally:  https://gofoil.com/
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 10:02:53 AM by Beasho »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 10:05:32 AM »
Not sure if the fins have any value for me, but I am seriously thinking about changing my user-name to QuobbaBean... ;D

I would be leary of any "surf article" that claims "surfings last significant change" was the thruster in 1980.  What rock have they been living under.

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 10:58:11 AM »
Not sure if the fins have any value for me, but I am seriously thinking about changing my user-name to QuobbaBean...

Hahaha, thanks that’s funny!
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 11:22:07 AM »
Bean, that's the legume equivalent of PonoBill, which means the most righteous, excellent Bill. Of course, I chose the name because I live on Pono Road, but maybe you could change your street name to Quobba street.

Yeah, I loved the physics explanation. I wonder if it occurred to these guys that if the explanation made any sense at all, just releasing the board would cause it to accelerate until it burst into flame or tore itself to pieces. I guess the fins would leave the solar system at some fraction of lightspeed if their exotic plastic could hold together.

Maybe they can glue a magnet in there somewhere and call them Quobbabandzfins. Hopefully that 2.5 mil includes the house they live in. Six percent of product lifecycle revenue is considered a huge expenditure of R&D. 42 million bucks worth of fins. Lots of luck with that, FCS has annual revenues of about 6.6 million.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 11:30:24 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 12:15:17 PM »
Bean, that's the legume equivalent of PonoBill...
Yes, I knew you would pick up on that PB!

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 01:11:48 PM »
$200 plastic fins.  Am I missing anything?

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 02:51:05 PM »
Can't wait for the dimpled version with bent wings! Didn't somebody do a turbo tunnel a while back?
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 05:00:38 PM »
Hey, turbo tunnels are legit Biggie👌

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 06:40:13 PM »
It makes me a bit sad that people can say shit like that and think they can get away with it.....even worse if they actually believe it....but I would like a ramjet on my board..... ::)

Everyone knows you need a magnet and a hologram for it to work bro....just think of the power of foiled magnetic holograms.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 06:43:32 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 07:08:21 PM »
I think people can and do spend time and money developing products that they don't really understand, and never take the time to get a little simple grounding in physics, or just how basic forces work. But there are also lots of people who take advantage of the flat-out ignorance of potential customers. Holographic magnets indeed. I'm still tempted to do the horoscope diet. I'd just need to numb any wayward integrity I have. It would take a lot of scotch.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 01:21:04 AM »
Bean, Any professional dudes use 'em? Naw..🤣
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 03:29:38 AM »
Bean, Any professional dudes use 'em? Naw..🤣
Not at the moment, they only use them when their friends aren’t watching😁
They come in different colors, that should tell you something.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal