Author Topic: Outer banks Rental locations for surf in June?  (Read 10605 times)

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Outer banks Rental locations for surf in June?
« on: January 02, 2018, 09:25:40 AM »
Hey Gang-

my extended family is looking  at OBX to get a house in June of next year.

I know surf at this time is weather depended but i want to 'guide' them to a house near consistent surf.

Anyone have any specific towns they would reccommend.  Ideal would be surf right out in front or across teh street from a house- with some kind of town nearby for restaurants ETC.

Ive never been to the area so starting totally clean and have no idea.

Thanks!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Outer banks Rental locations for surf in June?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 09:49:03 AM »
I'll be interested to hear as well. I intend to make it back to the Outer Banks some day. I spent some time there in the 70's when I was in the Navy. I had a motorcycle and rode there whenever I had more than a few days of liberty. I imagine it's drastically different, but my memories are why I included a visit to a fictional Outer Banks town in the book I wrote, Riding Sophia.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 09:54:38 AM »
I would stay around Avon/Rodanthe. In June, you are going to have mostly SW winds so you will have offshore/side-off conditions, and you are not far from the Lighthouse and southerly facing beaches if different conditions develop.

June is a nice time of the year up there, but keep in mind, it could easily be foggy and cool in certain areas based on wind patterns, etc. If you/your family kite, that would help as a lot more days in June are kiteable than surfable.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 10:47:51 AM »
Contact Ian (jarvissup on this forum). He owns a vacation home on the outer banks and can probably give you good info..maybe even rent his house out
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 11:30:20 AM »
awesome- thanks guys!  great info- and i'll shoot a PM to Ian~!

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 11:36:38 AM »
Avon...Avon....Avon
Especially for family

Fun stuff in Nags Head, but you want to be able to turn the corner, and surf south of Cape Ppint at times/wind...and Avon Buxton and Frisco locations do this for you

Short driving between those three....Avon most family friendly

Have had good luck with these guys:
http://www.outerbeaches.com/

People always go for the Ocean side, but soundside is nice too, and the houses 1 block off are easy walks to the beach
There are enough properties with a hot tub that I would put that on the must have list
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 08:42:17 AM »
I stayed with my family last July just South of the Nags Head Pier (1 block). Didn't know what to expect.  Had a nice little swell  every morning. Me and two short boarders (locals) and they were great guys. Just South of the pier was a pipe. There was a nice peak at the pipe but the proners were at a peak 50 ft south of that and they were happy to have me join them. Just a nice slow peeling right. Got pretty crowded with surfers and beach goers after 10. They were surfing North of the pier but there was no reason for me to venture over. Another nice perk of the spot was lots do do pretty close and my family loved Jockey Ridge State park. Very easy to get to and shallow flat water sound side to take my kids paddling. Knee deep as far as you can go.  Regardless of where you go Sunday to Sunday rental is the way to go.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal