Author Topic: New Kialoa "Ewalu" sup paddle  (Read 9680 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: New Kialoa "Ewalu" sup paddle
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 01:32:48 PM »
I see that A10, the BP Hydro (their race paddle) is also 8 deg and also comes in a 78sq in blade.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 01:50:45 PM »
I see that A10, the BP Hydro (their race paddle) is also 8 deg and also comes in a 78sq in blade.

In that case you can add Werner Rip Stick at 7 degree and 79sqi to the party.
And don't forget that ZRE offers 0-15 offset option to choose from any size from 60-135sqi.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 02:21:12 PM »

I really like it but you have to be conscious of putting a good stroke. I find that there is some adaptation time needed when switching from a 8 degrees to a 10 degrees.
I prefer it for flat rather than down-wind. I use the Mana or the Salish for that.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 02:22:54 PM by Luc Benac »
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 03:06:40 PM »
The Kialoa/Werner "partnership" won't be clear since both are privately-held companies. It sounds odd, and generally in business, odd doesn't last. If it's not an acquisition then the natural tensions between competing companies will mount. I know that at least some of Kialoa's production used to be from an independent composite manufacturing company in Bingen, Washington, across the river from Hood River. I don't know how much was done there recently. At one time Werner had a fairly deep technical bench, but I thought that went away about a decade ago. Trying to understand what's going on at privately held companies is like reading tea leaves, but generally, announcements like this are not good news.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 05:38:03 PM »
The Kialoa/Werner "partnership" won't be clear since both are privately-held companies. It sounds odd, and generally in business, odd doesn't last. If it's not an acquisition then the natural tensions between competing companies will mount. I know that at least some of Kialoa's production used to be from an independent composite manufacturing company in Bingen, Washington, across the river from Hood River. I don't know how much was done there recently. At one time Werner had a fairly deep technical bench, but I thought that went away about a decade ago. Trying to understand what's going on at privately held companies is like reading tea leaves, but generally, announcements like this are not good news.

As far as I understand it is an acquisition. Werner is taking on the production of the Kialoa brand. Meg and Dave will
take on sales, marketing and community outreach. Whether it is good or bad news I guess time will tell.
in progress...

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2019, 07:18:40 PM »
Not too uncommon for the principles of the acquired company to stay on for a while, especially if they are as well regarded in the industry as Meg and Dave.  This will allow some of their personal goodwill to transfer to the acquirer.  And, if there is an earn out component, they will have a front row seat.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2019, 06:34:54 PM »
Anyone try the Werner Apex?  Apparently more of a concave back blade like the V drive or starboard Lima...

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2019, 09:25:18 PM »
Anyone try the Werner Apex?  Apparently more of a concave back blade like the V drive or starboard Lima...

Haven't tried it but out of all the variations I've used I have to say
I found the look of it the most appealing. That said, I don't think
it would function differently than the others and I'm not a fan of
the outline either. Lima's outline imo makes the most sense for
everyday users as far physical impact but still preserving the
benefits of this design.

I've used the v-drive for years on and off, logged long hours on
the Lima and recently the bp Kai Zen and half a dozen variations on
the same concept.

What made the biggest impact for me was the shaft and grip options
available for all the paddles. I don't find Werner's offering in that
department the most appealing.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 09:28:36 PM by burchas »
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2019, 11:57:26 PM »
Yes, I agree. The handle and shaft are an overlooked part of the equation. I have 3  v-drives with the same blades that have each of the available shafts: round, round tapered, and tapered oval shafts, and so can easily feel the difference that this makes. And it does.

And yes, I also agree that the Werner shape is going to give probably a rather abrupt catch which non-elites might find a bit wearing. For me, the Lima goes a little bit too far, and perhaps the perfect compromise hasn’t quite been found yet. But in the meantime, the original v-drive remains the best, IMO. Dave Kalama did a great job with it.

I wish Werner would offer different handles. That handle design sticks IMO. Maybe when they have “merged” with Kialoa, they will start offering Kialoa-style handles.

Werner’s general presentation is generally much more like what I associate with inland canoeing than the rather more glamourous ocean sports style. So the prices of Kialoa-branded products at the top end might need to come down perhaps, to match the rather more “down to Earth” demographic and marketing sheen.

I like the blade outline of the GL Kialoa blades. Something could definitely be done with that.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2019, 07:25:41 AM »
Yes, I agree. The handle and shaft are an overlooked part of the equation. I have 3  v-drives with the same blades that have each of the available shafts: round, round tapered, and tapered oval shafts, and so can easily feel the difference that this makes. And it does.

I have all my blades BP Hydro, Kenalu Mana, Blackfish Andaman & Salish mounted on the same shaft Kenalu Xtuf(S). I would never consider buying a blade/paddle for which you cannot interchange the shaft. A friend of mine has a Trifecta with a round non tapered shaft and it is horrible from both his account and mine. The same blade with the tapered shaft is great. I guess that this is why QB charged $150 more for the better shaft.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2019, 08:13:25 AM »
I've used the v-drive for years on and off, logged long hours on
the Lima and recently the bp Kai Zen and half a dozen variations on
the same concept.

I paddled a Kai Zen for a couple weeks back in August in Waikiki.  Thought I would hate it, but after a couple of surf sessions found it to be really good.  For a small blade (82), it really seemed to hold well.  The one I used had a soft shaft which in the surf worked really well.  A stiffer (and lighter) shaft would be better, for me, for distance paddling.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2019, 08:18:12 AM »
I like the blade outline of the GL Kialoa blades. Something could definitely be done with that.

A classic outline for sure, in fact I will be using my GL inspired Hulu (small blade) until I can figure out which paddle suits me best.  Hoping for some good demos this spring.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2019, 08:48:33 AM »
Own Kenalu and Kialoa. Have tried Werner, QB, and Black P.

For surf I recently bought another Kialoa. The GL Surf Wahine. Small shaft, nice grip, small blade, and on the Wahini the lower edge is less teardroped.

BP had no catch and a guy I know snapped one. Handle on the Werner horrible. Trifecta not so much,  and the QB surf not for me.

Would love to try a XRE just to see. I have a sneaking suspicion the reason I was unable to complete an order on the new kioloa race paddle was when they were shutting down.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2019, 09:19:43 AM »
My shoulder "happiness" varies, so having the ability to change shafts is a big deal. I like the precision and firm power of the standard Ke Nalu shafts, but when my shoulders are acting up I need the medicine of the xTuf(S). They actually make my shoulder feel better than NOT paddling. I've done the transitions enough times to feel somewhat certain of that, despite the obvious opportunity for Placebo effect.

I also can't tolerate flat blades well--I suspect my shoulder stability doesn't appreciate compensating for blade wobble. Even in short canoe paddles the Kialoa blades are tiring, where my Puakea paddle with dihedral is not. I love the look and feel of the Kialoa, so I keep coming back to it, but after an hour of hard paddling my shoulders feel spent, while I can go much longer and harder with Puakea.

Paddles are personal. What works well for one person doesn't work at all for another.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2019, 09:27:40 AM »
Hey PB, have the Paukea paddles changed much since the SUP ATX affiliation?  Seems like a bargain at $220 for a  Catch 22.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM