Author Topic: Anyone paddle the SEA NY event? Thoughts?  (Read 10811 times)

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anyone paddle the SEA NY event? Thoughts?
« on: April 08, 2018, 06:57:57 AM »
Any of you paddle the SEA NY?  Just curious of your thoughts.  Thinking about it, but the logistics are the biggest obstacle coming down from Maine.  Where do you stay, park etc. 
thank you in advance
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: Anyone paddle the SEA NY event? Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 06:13:04 PM »
I haven't paddled it, but I know a fair amount of people who have. I'll send out some feelers for you, if you like?
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 08:30:42 PM »
Sure Ichabod...thanks   I’ve done CCBC 7 times and might also try this one

I imagine the water would be fairly protected and not like wide open Cape Cod Bay

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 03:43:49 AM »
Carib, the Hudson is not protected. There are a few things that make it weird to paddle in. It's a tidal estuary, which means the river reverses direction with the tide. That can create some crazy chop. Plus it can get pretty windy. It's not (usually) too much for an experienced paddler, but it's not a sheltered area. Plus there are turns and underwater outcropping which create some strange local conditions. I've seen mini-whirlpools and gotten tossed by waves that appeared out of nowhere.

I'm not saying the Hudson is a dangerous torrent, but it can get crazy, especially in some of those areas of the SEA Paddle. If you're curious, look up Hell's Gate.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 06:11:37 AM »
Logistics are pretty easy assuming you're not going to ride an unlimited. You load the the board on their truck the day before and go about your day.
The day of, you park at the Chelsea Piers (where the finish is) and take a shuttle or a cab to the start line.

If you prefer not to drop-off the board the day before, you can just drop it off at the start point and drive to Chelsea Piers to park and make your way back,
Before the start. That IS your only option if you are riding an unlimited since their trucks usually won't fit boards longer than 14.

As for accommodations, try finding a place close to the finish.

As for conditions, in the past few years there was nothing unusual. As mentioned there are some parts that can get a little crazy but usually that time of
the year is not too problematic. Usually people find the last 2 miles on the Hudson the most difficult, the water there sometime moves in a very unusual way
due-to many factors, again, nothing crazy but you just might find yourself in the water for no reason. Another factor to watch is the back eddies, there are
quite a few along the course and usually you'll know when you hit it but it's a good idea to have your GPS to monitor those.

The following video is going through in details about every stage of the course so it will give you a good idea what to expect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvEGeeB99DQ

All in all I like this race and recommend doing it for the experience.
in progress...

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 08:10:41 AM »
I've always wanted to do it but tough for me to do both. Maybe someday, have fun Don.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 09:02:41 AM »

Ichabod and Burchas thanks so much for that very helpful information .  I will look into this for sure as it sounds like a pretty unique event and for a great cause as well.

I've always wanted to do it but tough for me to do both. Maybe someday, have fun Don.

haha I haven't decided yet Bob, just curious and investigating.  It sounds interesting
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal