Author Topic: Smaller Volume Board  (Read 2047 times)

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Smaller Volume Board
« on: April 07, 2018, 08:26:54 AM »
Had the opportunity to go surf at SanO for a week with Dave Daum and learned a ton! Some background, previously had spent 3 days foil surfing on the ocean and then hit it 6 days in a row (5 at SanO). I started on a 7’6” Kings Board with a 23 inch mast on a Liquid Force set up and King’s Wings (32 inch wide front wing and glide rear wing). After a day on that, went with a lower volume Dave board that is 6’10” x 28 (110 volume). I’m 6’2” 180 lb for reference. After taking that board that I affectionately named “Green Magic” caught waves WAY easier and flew them with more control. I used Dave’s wing and carbon mast and was flying!!Ended the last day surfing Nukes and riding waves all the way to the power plant!! Dave and I took the front straps off and really like how we could change our feet around. A few lessons learned for newbies:
1) Go low volume to catch waves. You might struggle standing on it but it makes catching and riding amazing!
2) Straps are good as well as being strapless. Catching waves was a bit easier without the strap on the low volume board.
3) There are lots of types of foils out there... keep trying different ones. I really prefer the glide rear wing to the v shaped.
4) 8 days on the water and the last day was catching waves that were missed (pretty big and fast!) 4 days earlier. Lesson learned- be patient and improve every time out.
Below I’ll try and post some pics taken from shore and a fisherman- complete strangers, how cool is that (Ben Nyguyen and Mike)!!

Came back home and caught the best river foil wave yet!! No Go Pro though 😕
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 08:40:48 AM by Sam the Surfer »

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Smaller Volume Board
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 08:27:53 AM »
Ben Nyguyen pic

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 08:28:44 AM »
More

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 08:30:09 AM »
More

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 08:31:00 AM »
From Mike in a canoe!

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 10:01:47 AM »
Very cool Sam, I was out there with you (recognize the board, and hat), and you were tearing it up on that board. Now I'm only bummed I didn't paddle over, and say "Howdy do" as I normally do to folks I don't know out there.

But then again, by your "From Mike in a canoe!"...it appears you got to meet "Open Mike", and you probably had enough white noise to deal with that day. Great guy....but the boy can talk! LOL  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 10:04:49 AM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 01:45:44 PM »
Very cool Sam, I was out there with you (recognize the board, and hat), and you were tearing it up on that board. Now I'm only bummed I didn't paddle over, and say "Howdy do" as I normally do to folks I don't know out there.

But then again, by your "From Mike in a canoe!"...it appears you got to meet "Open Mike", and you probably had enough white noise to deal with that day. Great guy....but the boy can talk! LOL  ;) ;D

Sano- totally understand as the waves just kept coming! What set-up were you on? Ben Nguyen and Mike the Canoe guy were pretty cool to take pictures and then send them! Those pictures were taken at the fence line (I think) and the Nuke waves were absolutely perfect on Thursday... pumping!!

Maybe we can catch up 'next' time ;)

Ben

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 04:17:54 PM »
I don't remember exactly what I was on at the time because it seems like I've been playing board/foil roulette recently.

EDIT: So why pics won't load is beyond me.... >:( >:(

So I was either on a green 7'4" Chuck Glynn foil board, my green Laird 9'6" SUP longboard shape, or maybe a dark blue/light blue Takuma 7'8" foil board.

But yes, "next time" for sure!!  :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 04:23:20 PM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal