Author Topic: Leashes.  (Read 5709 times)

iDownwind

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Leashes.
« on: April 06, 2018, 07:22:22 AM »
Hey all.... I have been using a 10' coiled leash from Creatures of Leisure for about two years now and I really like it. While on vacation here in Florida, I picked up another one. When I got back to the house with it, I noticed it says it's a
"flatwater-race" leash. Now while I do paddle flat water, it is also my go to leash for downwinding. Now that I read the label on the Creatures leash, I am a bit concerned about using it in bigger conditions. I am going to keep this one, but I am wondering if anyone can suggest another coiled option that is rated for surf use?

Thanks.
SIC F14
SIC Bullet  V2 (A.S.S.)
SIC Recon 11.11
NSP Open Ocean 14'x28"

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Leashes.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 07:54:18 AM »
I don't think realibily of this leash for dw is somehow compromised. They just write it so to avoid responsibility that your leash can somehow recoil your board at you. I wouldn't be worried. Although in heavy stuff I go for a straight leash.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 08:09:23 AM »
iD...  In the early 2000s I used one kiting, but then the general consensus changed to ...'about the last thing you needed while getting your ass-handed-to-you was 4' board following at high speed'.  I don't believe the actual reel effect is sufficient to make the 'come to papa' (especially on a large board) dangerous; I would guess the dog leash internals do not have the strength to stand up to a cleanup set.  I would suggest a decent ankle/knee/waist leash.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 10:00:13 AM »
What is its cord diameter? Usually heavy condition leashes are 5/16. Lighter conditions can be 3/16. Maybe your CofL 'flatwater' is on the narrow side?  I have some beefy Dakine leashes that are coiled. I use the calf variety, just to keep out from underfoot.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 10:02:38 AM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

iDownwind

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 04:21:56 PM »
I just checked the leash package.... 10' x 5/16", Calf leash. I would prefer a 12 foot coiled calf leash, but this works for now. I typically don't SUP surf when conditions get too heavy on the Great Lakes. If it's clean, up to 6' or a bit bigger is it. Downwinding can be up to 10' before things get too mixed up and crazy.

Do you guys think I am ok with the Creatures leash? Or should I find something that is well known for its toughness and durability....?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 04:23:49 PM by iDownwind »
SIC F14
SIC Bullet  V2 (A.S.S.)
SIC Recon 11.11
NSP Open Ocean 14'x28"

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 04:42:02 PM »
I wouldn't recommend coil leashes for surfing. Saw a guy last year take the top of his finger off when it got caught up in the coil following a wipe out.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 05:00:59 PM »
Never use SUP leashes with SUP surfing, well except a calf leash on my noserider. A long SUP leash (10' or so) is a pain.

In big stuff, I use the Ocean and Earth 6' Premium leash, it's rock solid, no real stretch. On smaller stuff, I use a generic Dakine 7' leash. I'm on mostly 8' to 9' boards.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 07:00:58 PM »
I hate coiled leashes. They have caused me more pain than they are worth. Never use them for surfing.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 08:11:49 PM »
I just checked the leash package.... 10' x 5/16", Calf leash....Do ryou guys think I am ok with the Creatures leash? Or should I find something that is well known for its toughness and durability....?
Creatures is fine, but would agree that coils are best for keeping the leash out of the water when distance paddling.  For smaller waves, coil is fine but will loose some rebound.

IRideYellow

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 09:01:53 PM »
I have always used coiled leashes with SUP.  I like my board heading back to me after a crash so I have a better chance of escaping a pounding. When I used a regular leash it seemed to take forever to recover the board.  The down side is when in kelp things can get tangled up pretty good.
Starboard WidePoint 8'10, Sunova 8'10 Speeed (Sold), Wardog  7'10 Jammer,  L41 8'8 S3 (sold), Naish Mana 10 (sold), 3 Wavestorm 9'6

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 09:37:03 PM »
Some time ago I tested the recoil of coiled leashes that broke at the swivel. The recoil velocity is enough to penetrate plywood. It's not the springiness of the coil, it's the torsion that the cool applies to the Urethane and the angle of the force. For a straight leash, the recoil force is in line with the leash, so it just contracts. For a coil leash as you straighten the leash the coil straightening twistd the urethane, and the force is applied at a slight angle, so it snaps back rather than retracting. I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. I use heavy coiled leashes for downwind and foiling--I need to make something better for foiling, it's not ideal. I DO NOT use coiled leashes for surfing. A broken swivel could certainly penetrate your skull. I suspect the manufacturers tested this on their own--it was a controversy about eight years ago, and I'm sure they were as surprised as I was and came to the same conclusion--not for surfing.

You can test it yourself. Take the leg cuff off the swivel--it's held on with an Allen screw that a fin key fits. Feed paracord through the swivel so you can hold it well. Attach the rail saver to a fence. Walk back and apply as much force as you can manage, then release one end of the cord. WHAM. Do the same thing with a straight leash and it falls to the ground with no drama.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 09:50:41 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 09:14:02 AM »
That was a great test Bill — an important point; even small bits can do harm at speed.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 11:13:03 AM »
You've explained this before PB, this time it may have actually sunk in.  Constructional stretch vs. elastic stretch?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 12:49:06 PM »
yup. The misdirection is that the urethane spring is obviously too weak to be dangerous, it only takes a few ounces of force to stretch it a few feet. But the spring is formed by flattening the rope on one side, probably with a heated mandrel. I think that at the extremes of stretching the energy is stored in twisting the urethane and it can store a lot of energy. I think its also important that it's released radially instead of just contracting. It lets the swivel clear the rope.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

IRideYellow

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 04:19:49 PM »
Well I don't need a further reduction in my mental performance so maybe I need to revisit my leash choice.  But first I'll see if I can create a fallback so it is restrained when the swivel fails.  I never really thought of the stored energy in the leash as anything more then my board butler. 

This could be a great murder weapon for a crime drama that films at the beach.  Hawaii Five O?
Starboard WidePoint 8'10, Sunova 8'10 Speeed (Sold), Wardog  7'10 Jammer,  L41 8'8 S3 (sold), Naish Mana 10 (sold), 3 Wavestorm 9'6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal