General > Events

Cape Cod Bay Challenge 2018

(1/4) > >>

stoneaxe:
Lot's of changes this year.

Here's the official release from Chaser

"CCBC Paddlers –

Benjamin Franklin said….”When you’re finished changing, you are finished”….after 10-years of running the CCBC we are not finished but we do believe it is time for a change…..

The 2018 Cape Cod Bay Challenge will take place on Saturday, July 28th. This year we are shaking things up a bit and the route will be a 22-mile coastal paddle from Nantasket Beach (Hull, MA) to Duxbury Beach (Duxbury, MA). In addition, registration for the paddle will be open to a limited number (amount TBD) of teams (two people). There will be an alternate start location to the south of Duxbury Beach in case of unfavorable wind and weather conditions.

The after party will be held at Blakeman’s Restaurant on Duxbury Beach and should be a crazy good time. As organizers of the event, we are extremely excited about the new format and believe it will open the paddle up to more participants which will hopefully translate into greater awareness and fundraising for the non-profit we support….Christopher’s Haven (www.christophershaven.org).

A special thank you to the Duxbury Beach Reservation and Dana Battista from Blakeman’s Restaurant for allowing us to hold our event in such a spectacular location.

Registration for the event will open in a few weeks…….

Paddle on people!"

We had considerable discussion about the route and venue change. I and others voiced some concern about not crossing the bay but after talking it out I think it's a good change....certainly worth doing and seeing how it goes. I think most folks that wanted to cross the bay have likely already done so. Last year was our 10th anniversary and for many paddlers their (5th, 6th, or more) time doing it. The change for most of them we're hoping will be welcome.

This route gives us far less to be worried about and reduces our expenses..primarily the whale watch boat we were required to charter for safety. We also wanted to open up the event to relay teams to help increase attendance and fundraising and this also makes that far easier to support. It's a shorter paddle...still long but a little more inviting to a larger number of folks. The bottom line is that our focus is on raising funds for CH and we think this will enhance that.

The change is energizing us and we're all anticipating a very fun event. I'm really looking forward to it. I'll be pushing for a break at the halfway point at the south river...though I'm not sure how much break we'll get if there is surf....long, long rides there on a 14'er...... ;)

PonoBill:
Wow. I more or less figured last year was my last CCBC, but this is interesting. I'll have to look at the other stuff I'm committed to, but if it's feasible, I'm in. It would be great to see all those folks again. And tell the guys the band better be good because I plan on dancing afterward. No fucking reggae stuff. By dancing, I don't mean bobbing up and down like a rooster.

stoneaxe:
We heard more than a few regulars say the same thing. LOL...I liked the Reggae band we had last year...though I didn't dance much. Dropping is dancing if you can do it like a Jamaican.... ;)

PonoBill:
Like them all you like, I saw you get up and bob around ONCE! After paddling that kind of distance I need to move or I'll freeze up like a statue. But I thought that date sounded kind of iffy. Portland Vintage Race Festival--same weekend. Mr. Peyote didn't get exercised last year, but this year I"m gonna hit it hard. Oh, wait, bad metaphor for racing cars.

Caribsurf:
Hey Stoney what kind of conditions would we expect paddling North to South? Is it going to be a constant side chop? I am not familiar with Hull or Duxbury..is there surf or is it a calm bay?  A down winder  would be nice

Also by having  2 person teams, is this now a race? Can 1person paddle the 22miles or do you have to split it up?
Seeing that it’s only 22 miles, I hope that means we can sleep in a bit and not hit the water at 5 am 😄

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version