Author Topic: Foil beginner, 200# for small mushy surf, What should I look for?  (Read 3140 times)

JBinGulfShores

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Spent last week SUPing in Maui and Oahu N. shore, saw some foiling and N E E D to try this at home on the Gulf Coast in Alabama. In many searches, the only combo set up I have found is Blue Planet but of course they are out of stock for a month or two.

I would prefer to try something that is proven now that I have ready about all this testing CHAOS!

JB
Amundson 11-6"
Allwave Fanatic 8-10"
Focus 14' Cali
Apparently suffering from PAS (paddleboard acquisition syndrome)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Foil beginner, 200# for small mushy surf, What should I look for?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 05:11:21 PM »
Call Steve at High Tech in Maui. Last I heard he had one or two GoFoil Iwa/200 combination sets left, if not a Kai/Iwa/M200 would be good too and you get an extra tail. That's what you want. Another choice is Big Winds in Hood River, they stock a lot of GoFoils but summer's coming. Grab what you can now.

From another thread:

Hitech Surf Sports on Maui has all Go Foil sets currently in stock.

Now Available:
Kai
Iwa
Nalu/Kai/Iwa combo
Kai/Iwa/M200 combo
M200/M280 combo
Iwa/M200 combo

Availability is very limited

Steve
Hitech
Maui
(808)877-2111

The boards are a bit easier. You can convert a short SUP with a flat bottom or order a Kalama, JL, Blue Planet, Kings, etc. The GoFoil is what's going to be hard to come by, especially a month from now.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 05:14:26 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

IRideYellow

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 06:02:17 PM »
Also check out  101 Sports in San Rafel in CA.  They have GoFoils and some foil boards.  When I was there they only had single foils, no sets though.
Starboard WidePoint 8'10, Sunova 8'10 Speeed (Sold), Wardog  7'10 Jammer,  L41 8'8 S3 (sold), Naish Mana 10 (sold), 3 Wavestorm 9'6

JBinGulfShores

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 07:27:51 PM »
So just to confirm, the advice is go ahead and buy the gofoil maliko 200 then look for a board to fit it that uses a Tuttle box?
JB
Amundson 11-6"
Allwave Fanatic 8-10"
Focus 14' Cali

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 07:31:28 PM »
 Kirk McGinty at L41 Surfcraft is making custom foil boards now.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 07:37:55 PM »
So just to confirm, the advice is go ahead and buy the gofoil maliko 200 then look for a board to fit it that uses a Tuttle box?

Get an Iwa and a Maliko 200 combo. The foils are fitted to the mast, so what you get is what you got. A two-foil combo gives you a lot of flexibility and the Iwa and M200 are great foiks for guys in the 200+ range. And then either look for a board or get a tuttle installed in one you have if you happen to have one that will work. Something in the 8' range with a very flat bottom. The L41 boards work fine, and it's no surprise that Kirk is building foil boards. I know of four people that foil on converted L41's including Beasho and myself.

I think the easiest board to get started on is the Jimmy Lewis Hoverboard. But I already have my order in for a Kalama custom.

Prepare yourself, this is a new addiction and it's a lot worse than anything you've tried thus far. I wake up in the morning thinking about foiling.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 07:44:00 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 07:50:46 PM »
Yes, please don't make the mistake that I did, and try to cheap yourself into a foil that's not a Go Foil, and especially one that's not big enough for your 200 lbs. After spending time on two different foils that didn't work for me....I'm not patiently waiting for an Iwa/M200 combo that's supposedly going to be to me sometime before next week. Fingers crossed.  :-\
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 08:05:30 PM »
If you're considering a foil I'd tell you don't wait long. Alex and Karla haven't shared their production schedule with me, but I think from listening to them that they are being careful. On the other side of the equation, everyone, from prone surfers to SUP surfers are looking hard at foils. It's not just a few people. The prone guys have caught on, and they actually seem to have an advantage. the smaller the board they normally ride, the shorter their adoption curve. It's a sup thing today, but that won't last, and summer is coming.

You'd think I was doing their marketing. I'm not, but I'm getting ready to buy another combo just because. On the basis of the old combat motto: "Two is one, one is none".

JBinGulfShores

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 08:56:35 PM »
Thanks for sharing this info, it looks like they are pretty available on the kite board sites......am I missing something?

And Bill, just what I need another obsession🤙🏼
JB
Amundson 11-6"
Allwave Fanatic 8-10"
Focus 14' Cali

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 09:47:17 PM »
What you're missing is that lots of online sites sell stuff they don't actually have. You could pay your money and then wait a long time.

Your welcome. I feel like I'm selling crack.

JBinGulfShores

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 07:57:47 PM »
Thanks Bill!

Does anyone have an opinion on the hypernut bybstarboard?
In stock now,
JB
Amundson 11-6"
Allwave Fanatic 8-10"
Focus 14' Cali

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal