Author Topic: 'Tis the season for shark sightings  (Read 4951 times)

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 'Tis the season for shark sightings
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 04:15:37 PM »
 Our Great Whites here in Santa Cruz have been strangely quiet lately.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2018, 04:38:39 PM »
Now you did it !!!!!!!!
It takes a quiver to do that.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2018, 07:18:39 PM »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 11:09:34 AM »
Yea the SanO sharks are pretty active lately.   

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/04/11/unexpected-great-white-shark-extras-show-up-during-filming-of-animal-kingdom-at-san-onofre-state-beach/

I hope they don't do the bump & bite like what happened to that poor kid at Kukio recently.
These AK yahoos were jacking the place up on Monday with all of their jets skis, and Zodiacs zipping and spinning all over the place every time "Pribam" on his SUP started hollering "SHARK! Over here, over here! Hey....hey, hey over here!!", as the "surfers" (us) were trying to just surf, and the "rescue" boats would come from all directions like they were actually going to do something about them being there. What a joke.
Pribram said State Parks lifeguards would start each morning surveying the ocean. On the first day, a 12-foot shark and 7 footer were spotted near the film location, not far from where surfers were taking waves at the break “Old Man’s” at the beach just south of San Clemente.
Yeah, whitey was out there, and we saw both of the above mentioned culprits out there a couple of times, but dear gummy...we see them all the time, and making a big fuss about it ain't gonna make them go away for Pete's sakes

Once they all went in for lunch finally, it was a great day out there for the two of us remaining to feast on the fun-sized, and consistent waves out there that day...and we didn't see "Fluffy" again, so maybe he and his buds were just checking out all of their motorized toys that aren't usually out there. Who knows...who cares?
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 06:06:42 PM »
Yea the SanO sharks are pretty active lately.   

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/04/11/unexpected-great-white-shark-extras-show-up-during-filming-of-animal-kingdom-at-san-onofre-state-beach/

I hope they don't do the bump & bite like what happened to that poor kid at Kukio recently.
These AK yahoos were jacking the place up on Monday with all of their jets skis, and Zodiacs zipping and spinning all over the place every time "Pribam" on his SUP started hollering "SHARK! Over here, over here! Hey....hey, hey over here!!", as the "surfers" (us) were trying to just surf, and the "rescue" boats would come from all directions like they were actually going to do something about them being there. What a joke.
Pribram said State Parks lifeguards would start each morning surveying the ocean. On the first day, a 12-foot shark and 7 footer were spotted near the film location, not far from where surfers were taking waves at the break “Old Man’s” at the beach just south of San Clemente.
Yeah, whitey was out there, and we saw both of the above mentioned culprits out there a couple of times, but dear gummy...we see them all the time, and making a big fuss about it ain't gonna make them go away for Pete's sakes

Once they all went in for lunch finally, it was a great day out there for the two of us remaining to feast on the fun-sized, and consistent waves out there that day...and we didn't see "Fluffy" again, so maybe he and his buds were just checking out all of their motorized toys that aren't usually out there. Who knows...who cares?
Was hoping the AK crew would have suffered some non injurious type of altercation with Fluffy. Would have been awesome as Fluffy would be saying in Shark  "SPLIT KOOKS!"
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Cruisinby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2018, 10:17:29 AM »
No one mentions pesky large sea lions.   A fellow surfer came charging up the trail last week while surfing an isolated spot in central cal.   We had been out 2 hrs, never saw a thing. Last guy out came up with big round eyes telling of being charged and barked at by an aggressive sealion.   I don't think they will kill ya, it can be nasty if bittten.   Then again it is their ocean !

Cruisinby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2018, 10:19:00 AM »
No one mentions pesky large sea lions.   A fellow surfer came charging up the trail last week while surfing an isolated spot in central cal.   We had been out 2 hrs, never saw a thing. Last guy out came up with big round eyes telling of being charged and barked at by an aggressive sealion.   I don't think they will kill ya, it can be nasty if bittten.   Then again it is their ocean !

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2018, 01:09:56 PM »
They will definitely bite--at least that's what I hear. I got chased by a monk seal here in Maui--at Launiopoko of all places. It was being extremely territorial and charging at anyone in its patch of water. I've had plenty of sea lions mug me for my catch while spearfishing in the Pacific Northwest. Some will get right into your facemask and bare their teeth. I don't know what that means but I assume it isn't a friendly grin. Less confrontational but equally irritating, they'll follow your boat when you're dropping crab traps, drop down to the trap and rip it open to rob the bait. Since I generally use chunks of carp for bait I distract the bastards with a few frozen wads and then get some distance away before dropping a trap.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal