Author Topic: Ouch, Ooooh, Aaaah, Damnit, Ouch, @#$%^&  (Read 3215 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Ouch, Ooooh, Aaaah, Damnit, Ouch, @#$%^&
« on: March 06, 2009, 10:17:37 AM »
OK!...How the hell do all you folks surf these damn reefs without turning your feet into hamburger? I've been extremely careful...and I actually think I've done pretty well but I still look like a walking bandaid ad. Every trip here leaves scars. I'll be taking home at least 5 this time. I think Bill has been staying out in front on trips down the coast because he thinks I'm likely to attract sharks.

Shit, even the trees attacked me this time. My arm looks like I barely escaped from a bear..... ;D
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

dpmaui

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ouch, Ooooh, Aaaah, Damnit, Ouch, @#$%^&
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 10:39:57 AM »
Rule No. 1, Never, Ever, touch the bottom! (if possible)

SUPer Dave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 01:39:55 PM »
Wish i had Coral reefs to damage my feet on..,,,,Congradulatios STONEAXE on your Coetes Bank Status..

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 02:24:29 PM »
I felt the same way. I loved Oahu, but those reefs are hard to deal with.

The first time I fell in shallow water, I was like, how the hell do I climb back on my my board without putting my feet down  ???

chipmonk

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 03:50:30 PM »
Honey, have you seen my reef shoes?

They are dorky, so you never want to wear 'em...Until you've already cut your feet up, and are trying to continue surfing after skipping getting stitches!  I thought this cut was going to need stitches, but I was able to keep it closed with butterfly bandages and keep surfing!

Even here in S.D I have cuts on my feet all winter long. They take months to heal...But for some reason when I am doing stand up I never wear booties any more because I am a lot warmer. And I want to appear tough.

awe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 06:24:34 PM »
OUCH!

Jesper B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 12:24:10 AM »
Superglue, butterflies, a bootie and of course liquid skin, saved one of my Maui weeks this winter! According to the doctor, superglue is to prefer before stitches if your not staying out of water. Fewer holes in your skin and easier to rip apart if you get staff infection.

Also: If not infected - only clean with fresh water and mild soap, anything stringer delays healing.  If infected – a totally different story!

/Jesper

corran

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 04:20:43 AM »
problem Solved!

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 06:54:43 AM »
Bob,
Congratulation......You have earned your battle scares. My uncle once told me that every scare you get from surfing is like a medal of honor. Nurse your wounds cause there a swell on it's way.....and if your not healed before then....

There always this solution..... ;D

Glad to hear your enjoying your stay!

Aloha...Sam

« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 07:06:14 AM by Sam Pa'e »

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 08:21:10 AM »
You know how when you leave the islands, you always wish you could take a little bit of it home with you?  Well you just might be a lucky man, maybe a little bit of coral inside of one of your wounds.  Then when you get home it will start to grow, yeah, grow inside of you, it happens!  You just have to let it get real big, into a nice coral head, then you can have it removed and placed on your mantle as a reminder of what a wonderful trip you had to Maui.
Is that cool or what!  ;)
It takes a quiver to do that.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 09:27:04 AM »
Yeah...I was trying to avoid booties this time. I'm actually as concerned about damaging coral as I am my feet so I wanted that extra bit of incentive. I've been sure to fall flat when I do fall but most of the cuts came in shallow water after the fall when another wave would hit and drive me into the coral. Now I have bandages...wrapped in hockey tape...with booties on. I'm still trying hard to avoid the coral but at least I have some protection for when I can't.

I'm sure the solution must be more practice over reefs. I just need to get out here more often. On the bright side....the fish have had a little extra to eat this week... ;D
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 09:35:23 AM »
I've given up trying to advise people, everyone shows up for ten days and leaves with hamburger feet. Booties from day one. It's simple. I offered Bob my booties--Nah, he says, I don't need 'em.

I don't wear them, but I've become allergic to the bottom. I look like I'm drowning trying to get back on my board, but I don't get cut. A few days ago a guy paddled over and asked if I was OK because I was wallowing around waiting to get my board under me.

My big problem is cracked heels from four months of wearing nothing but slippahs. That and the fact that my feet are startlingly ugly.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal