Author Topic: Another downwinder from sunny Florida 🤙  (Read 3911 times)

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Another downwinder from sunny Florida 🤙
« on: March 28, 2018, 04:39:19 PM »
Regular crew - myself and burchas. Winds at 20-30mph ENE. I am on Allstar testing LA spartan fin. Beautiful day, warm water  ;D

As always, thanks for watching!
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Another downwinder from sunny Florida 🤙
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 08:08:51 PM »
Great video for a great day my friend!
Just when I was about done with Florida's shallow water fiasco ;)

Hopefully will have something as good soon before the season is done.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 08:42:42 PM »
Another beautiful day.
So which board did you prefer the V2 or the AS?
Yuval was riding is new GTX fin?
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 05:29:53 AM »
Wow, gzasinets, glad you have gotten to use this howling wind for a fun run.
that's quite a route....
Gotta be at least 1 to 1.5 hour dropoff and 3 hour car retrieval at the end... nice dedication to the stoke!

What did you use as a recognizable destination feature?
I have done pick-ups for people that could not find the take-out spot because they didn't have a plainly visible target.
As the arrival window passed, I had to triangulate where I thought the wind would push them..... got it right.... about 4 miles East of the intended destination.

They were too confident they would find the landing.
They were well outfitted and had cell phones, VHF radio...
I found them just as they hit the beach.
It was a VERY nasty NEW England winter day.

Drift from wind and tide, plus everything looks the same from 4 miles out.
I have always felt more discussion was necessary about having something that will be easily recognizable, from miles out to sea, in less than ideal visibility.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 06:10:07 AM »
@burchas - thanks Yuval. Hopefully we'll squeeze in few more of these before you leave downwind Mecca  ;D

@Luc - You are asking a loaded question  ;) When conditions are lined up I think I prefer Allstar. The reason being is that it is faster, easier to get on to the bump and also that voluminous bow doesn't require much footwork. Bullet is a lot more pleasant in bigger conditions or when shit is just out of control - things come from all directions. Then definitely Bullet because Allstar is just a nightmare. I speak from my experience but Allstar is 24.5 wide and that might have something to do with it. Let me put it this way - I have had horrible runs on Allstar and I never had them on SIC. Even when conditions are completely screwed up bullet somehow makes it work but not Allstar. SB needs good conditions.
Thanks!

@supthecreek - thanks Rick! A lot of driving was involved in this one. I live on the west coast in Florida - so overall 7 hours of driving for me on Tuesday. But I'll take  it - those 2 hours on the water make up for it.
What concerns how I find my end spot - I use navigation feature of my Garmin Fenix 5. Basically before I go out - I come to the edge of the water of my take out point and save location to my watch. I also look around to see if there are any distinctive features - but I NEVER rely on my eyes. When you are 10 miles out you can be as lost as kitten - all looks kinda the same. So having a bearing arrow and remaining distance helps a lot. Also If I were to get off course Fenix would alert me.
The other thing I do before each run - I plot my route in google earth based on the wind angle. I check wind constantly making sure that the angles I used for plotting are still true. Even before the run I will check to make sure that the wind is still in good direction.
Having done multiple runs on the same route sometimes I feel a little lost - so kudos to that bearing arrow :)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 06:56:23 AM »
Another good downwind video. Beautiful sunny day and the green color of the water looked inviting. Wind conditions looked perfect too.

I hope you continue to share your videos. They're great.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 11:55:58 AM »
Your last video was from Sanibel island, now you are in Biscayne bay. I don't know Florida that well, but aren't those two places at the opposite ends of the state? I see above that you do live on the west coast of Florida. I have to admire your dedication, that is a lot of driving.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 01:34:47 PM »
Yeah great to see your dedication to DW.  We did that a lot early on -> then after a few years waned.  But still do summer runs into Squamish but not nearly to the same frequency.  Used to go with the lads all throughout the week as all of us have very flexible schedules.  Would leave around 11 and get back around 4 usually after beers.

Now seem to frequent more quick 1-2 hr upwind DW local runs as most of us have gotten the DW bug out of us.  If we had warm temps like you have -> would be on the water pretty much all the time.  Right now we are just finishing up with skiing/SB for the year.  Probs up around 60-70x this year -> so has been a great year.  That is Van in the distance.  Mtn is basically empty.  :)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 03:51:08 PM »
well done on dw that AS 24.5 and it looks like a good workout fun :)

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 06:47:25 PM »
@ Night Wing - thank you! Much appreciated  :)

@laszlo - yes some driving involved here, but what one won't do for a good downwinder. The worst part about Miami traffic is that put in and take out point are 15 miles apart but to get there takes am hour. Hard to do two runs in a day.

@Eagle - you have a rich environment. You have water, mountains so a lot of adrenaline sports can be done. Here we have flat lands and flat waters for most of the year. So I guess I just jump on each dw opportunity. I am not sure if it will ever grow old on me - so far I am hopelessly addicted:)

@JEG - thanks, it is easy on Allstar in those conditions. That's the only work out I very much look forward to.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 01:21:09 PM »
@Luc - You are asking a loaded question  ;) When conditions are lined up I think I prefer Allstar. The reason being is that it is faster, easier to get on to the bump and also that voluminous bow doesn't require much footwork. Bullet is a lot more pleasant in bigger conditions or when shit is just out of control - things come from all directions. Then definitely Bullet because Allstar is just a nightmare. I speak from my experience but Allstar is 24.5 wide and that might have something to do with it. Let me put it this way - I have had horrible runs on Allstar and I never had them on SIC. Even when conditions are completely screwed up bullet somehow makes it work but not Allstar. SB needs good conditions.
Thanks!

I know what you mean. I recently upgraded my favourite DW board (27.6 lbs) - the Bark Vapor - to the full carbon model (24.6 lbs) and shed 3 lbs in the process. I am starting to find that in lighter conditions it improved getting on bumps slightly but I still have the great handling so I am a very happy camper.
I could see myself still keeping the heavier Vapor (carbon bottom, fibre top) for heavy conditions. A tiny bit more flex makes it just that little touch more comfortable.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 01:27:14 PM by Luc Benac »
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 09:35:59 AM »
A tiny bit more flex makes it just that little touch more comfortable.

100% spot on. My surf sups - fanatic has a very rigid feel on the water - sharp turns. Imagine in wood sandwich has this wonderfully soft dampening effect on the water, no matter how rough conditions are - imagine sup is so much smoother. Neither is bad/great - just to each its own.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 06:13:32 PM »
Another awesome run and vid edit. And Gzasinets you were getting some great glides on that SB! Good to see Burchas feature as well. Those days are worth driving miles for!
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal