Author Topic: My foil failed (Lift 170)  (Read 4922 times)

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
My foil failed (Lift 170)
« on: March 28, 2018, 01:24:59 PM »
Welp, I had been seeing salt oozing and drying in clumps at some seams since I bought it but thought maybe it was just harmless air pockets in the carbon.  That turns out not to be the case.  Today I can see a clear crack and delamination of the main wing where it meets the fuselage.  The fuselage is also cracking down the center in the horizontal axis.  It is unridable now.

I'm actually quite surprised the foil failed, I haven't been that hard on it.  I've never ran it aground or abused it in anyway.  The worst it saw was a few 1.5x to 2x semi-mushy wave hits.  The FoilMount it's attached to is looking solid still.  I'm not sure if it was pinholes that leaked into the core and caused it to fail, or if it was some extreme event that caused it.  I suppose I could break it in half and find out...

Glad I have the GoFoils on order!  Sounds like the GoFoils are much stronger, as people hit the reefs with them and they are ok!  One foil down  :(

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My foil failed (Lift 170)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 01:34:53 PM »
From Lift's website:
"Our wings are built with lots of carbon and Kevlar (known for its use in bulletproof vests) for maximum strength and toughness. With four options to choose from, you will not find tougher, stronger and more refined wing designs on the market."

Probably a defective foil. Isn't there a warranty?   Maybe just to many impacts?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 01:42:27 PM »
Yea, I don't know.  I am hard on equipment in general, but I don't purposely abuse anything.  I can say I've never run it aground, ever.  I can't imagine a surf foil being covered by warranty but I am curious to see why they think it failed.  If the core material is absorbent then it's highly likely the leaking means water got into it and compromised the sheer strength.  I will need to fully break it apart to find that out though.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 04:11:37 PM »
Yeah, you still might want to call Lift, and let them know what happened. Who knows, maybe they'll want "to fully break it apart to" see why it did what it did, and ya never know...maybe they determine that yes it was a manufacturing defect (happens), and send you a new one.

But that's just me, I'm a lot more frugal than curious, and if I have the slightest chance of getting a replacement, that's going to trump any inquisitiveness I might have as to what the problem might be.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 04:57:47 PM »
My GoFoils were looking fairly pristine until I spent a day at 1000 peaks. Bashed into a lot of little surprises. All I see are scrapes in the pint. But give Lift a chance to make good.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 01:59:30 AM »
I have a few Lift foils and the one thing about Lift if you have any dramas just contact Nick Leason direct and he will replace anything that faults. No questions asked. The guy prides his product and in my opinion one of the best built foils on the market. nickleason85@hotmail.com
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 07:59:00 AM »
I have a few Lift foils and the one thing about Lift if you have any dramas just contact Nick Leason direct and he will replace anything that faults. No questions asked. The guy prides his product and in my opinion one of the best built foils on the market. nickleason85@hotmail.com

This ^^^^^^^

Agree 100 %

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 08:40:04 AM »
I've only had this one foil, so I'm in no position to compare, but I have to say I really like it!  It seems very fast and efficient.  I super sad that I broke it somehow.  I'll see what Nick says.

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 04:23:15 PM »
Wow, I had pretty much written off the foil, because I understand anything that goes into the surf can and probably will see some pretty severe punishment.  After all it's the waves that broke down the rocks into the sand that makes up the beaches!

After reviewing some pictures of the damage Nick replaced the foil without question!  Amazing!  That's the kind of service that makes someone a customer for life!  I'm blown away.

Even though I have some GoFoils now, I was really hoping to have the Lift too.  I have a feeling the Lift might be the super efficient speedy rocket ship of a foil out of the bunch, which is a style I like a lot and want to have too.

Huge Thanks to Nick at Lift!!!

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 06:33:23 PM »
If I were you, I'd sell the Lift since it's new and stay with the GoFoil setup. 

That (kind of) same scenario happened on a waterproof Nikon 1AW1 I had a couple years ago.  It kept leaking and I sent it back a couple times.  Finally they gave me a brand new camera, I sold it new in the box and chalked it up to experience.

Just my .02

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 08:48:15 AM »
I guess we'll see after I get a chance to ride the GoFoils.  I wonder if the Lift will just be better for different conditions than the GoFoils, and maybe I'll want to keep both.  I've had a great time with the Lift, even learned to foil on it, so I'm partial to keeping it at this point.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal