Author Topic: Sup Sprorts "One World" 11'1' x 30" # 173 Liters Flatwater Review  (Read 8342 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Sup Sprorts "One World" 11'1' x 30" # 173 Liters Flatwater Review
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2018, 09:43:00 AM »
Thought I would give a little update on my paddle length for flat water paddling on the area lakes near where I live. Non-registered lurkers might find this post interesting if they have any shoulder joint limitations from the result of surgery (as well as lower back issues) and would like to get into standup paddling (flat water, coastal cruising, sup surfing). And I am a good example with both of my right and left shoulder joints having been surgically repaired.

When I paddle, I basically stand straight up. I'm more comfortable this way than bending at my waist. This keeps my cranky lower back from talking to me.

Yesterday I had a 3 hour paddling session, with rest breaks inbetween my paddling. I've been flat water paddling with a 75 square inch paddle blade and a adjustable length paddle set at 70" in length. Usually at 6:30 am in the morning, the water is like glass. Normally my paddling sessions are 2 hours long. Yesterday was the exception.

Going past the 2 hour time mark, I found both of my shoulder joints did not like a 70" length with a 3 hour paddling session. When I first noticed both of my shoulder joints were talking to me, I listened to them.

So I took a short rest break to analyze the situation. I figured with a 4.6" thickness to my board at the widest width of the board and at 173 liters of volume, I figured (since I didn't take a 12" ruler with me) I had a little more than (roughly) 2.6" of both rails out of the water at their widest and thickest point since I weigh 146 lbs. The rest of both rails, at the widest and thickest part, were submerged under the water.

Since I'm 5'8" in height, with an adjustable length paddle, I can experiment and what better way to experiment than when both of my shoulder joints were telling me they were in a little bit of discomfort.

So I lowered the length to 69" and paddled for about 25 minutes. My shoulder joints weren't talking to me as loud as they were at 70", but they were still talking, just in a little softer tone to me.

After another break, I lowered the length to 68" and went for a 20 minute paddle. Both of my shoulder joints quit talking to me. I lowered the length to 67", but this length immediately felt too short for me and awkward so I quickly abandoned this length and returned to 68". And at 68" in length, my lower back did not talk to me either. A double bonus for me.

I figure for sup surfing, I will be at 67" or 66" depending on the height of the waves in conjunction with wind speed, wind direction, time period between swells and height of the waves.

In conclusion; for a person "with shoulder joint(s) and/or (lower) back issues", in my opinion based on my observations with my physical limitations, I think an adjustable length paddle is better suited than the more commonly accepted one fixed "do it all" paddle length, when it comes to standup flat water paddling, coastal cruising and sup surfing depending on the length of time for one's sessions. At least it is for me.

The above is just "food for thought".
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Sup Sprorts "One World" 11'1' x 30" # 173 Liters Flatwater Review
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2018, 07:53:03 AM »
I did a flat water full moon moonlight paddling session last week at the link below.

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,34054.0.html

For those non registered lurkers out there, you might find it interesting when it comes to paddle lengths since I've finally went with a 71" length paddle for my flat water paddling sessions. No more paddle length changes from here on out.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal