Author Topic: Sup Sprorts "One World" 11'1' x 30" # 173 Liters Flatwater Review  (Read 8345 times)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
Re: Sup Sports "One World" 11'1' x 30" # 173 Liters Flatwater Review
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2018, 12:29:22 PM »
Here's Mike from Idaho paddling his 7'11" Hammer finless and tail first...this last December with snowmelt water temps on the Kern River in the Southern Sierras...

https://youtu.be/ReOVUM5TBIE
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Sup Sports "One World" 11'1' x 30" @ 173 Liters Flatwater Review
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2018, 09:13:23 AM »
Before a weather front was going to pass through in the early evening yesterday (Wednesday), I took my One World down to the larger lake in a subdivision yesterday afternoon for a little flat water experimentation. The water temperature was 73 degrees F. Very little wind too. Just enough of a steady wind to rustle the leaves in the trees.

To recap my fin setups:

1 fin setup: (1, 9")
3 fin setup: (2, 5") (1, 9")
5 fin setup: (2, 5") (2, 4") (1, 2.25")

My paddle: Naish Alana 75 Adjustable with small diameter shaft.

Since the wind was light in wind speed but steady, this was a perfect day for me. I wanted to see how the glide and tracking would do in these light wind conditions.

The 1 fin setup has the best glide and still oddly enough, the 5 fin setup glides farther than the 3 fin setup.

As for tracking, since I'm playing around with different paddle lengths from 73" to 76", I had to think outside of the box to get a consistent paddle stroke. So I sat down on the board, crossed my legs american indian style and used the same shortened paddle stroke to test the tracking. With the shortened paddle stroke, it looked like I was paddling a canoe.

All three fin setups tracked straight as an arrow with the light, but steady amount of wind speed at my back. But the 5 fin setup tracked like it was on straight rails.

In a light crosswind, the 5 fin setup tracked straighter than either the 1 fin or 3 fin setup. In a crosswind, I think the small 2.25" nubster fin in the 5 fin setup makes a big difference. Nothing scientific, just a gut feeling on my part.

I only wanted to be on the water for 2 hours, but I was really enjoying myself and I was on the water for 4 hours. My legs were a little sore last night. But it was a good kind of sore feeling. No sore feeling in my legs today.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:16:27 AM by Night Wing »
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sup Sprorts "One World" 11'1' x 30" # 173 Liters Flatwater Review
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 12:29:31 PM »
I took my One World out for another flat water paddling session on our subdivisions largest lake. In this post, I'm including a photo of my One World floating on the water to show it's rocker.

For this session, I stayed with my favorite 5 fin setup ( (2, 5") (2, 4") and (1, 2.25") only. No other fin setup. I wanted this session to narrow down my paddle length for flat water paddling using my Naish Alana 75 adjustable length small diameter shaft paddle.

I paddled for two hours and took small breaks to rest my legs. I seem to be favoring a 75" paddle length although I can do 74.5" and 74" if I have to. I'm thinking the 74" might be good for sup surfing when I take my One World to the upper Texas coast for a sup surfing session.

When I got back home, after cleaning my One World and my Naish 75 paddle, I fired up my computer, went to YouTube and looked for some videos on paddle length. The one below by Jim Terrell using his formula for determing paddle length seems to work for me. Using his formula, since I'm 5' 8", I should be comfortable with a 74.8" paddle length and I'm close at 75".

My One World photo will be below Jim Terrell's video. BTW, you can left click the photo to make it larger if you need to see it larger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN-KP9eNfic
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 12:32:29 PM by Night Wing »
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2018, 03:29:16 PM »
Thanks for sharing that video.  That puts me at a slightly shorter paddle than I’ve been using.  I guess board height will be the deciding factor determining an inch more or less.  Night Wing, are your boards the same thickness, and do you use the same paddle length?

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2018, 03:52:55 PM »
That paddle length video was from 2 years ago. The trend is shorter ... way shorter.

But hey, whatever works.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2018, 04:17:43 PM »
That paddle length video was from 2 years ago. The trend is shorter ... way shorter.

But hey, whatever works.

For surfing, yes.  But for flatwater?

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2018, 12:32:06 PM »
Thanks for sharing that video.  That puts me at a slightly shorter paddle than I’ve been using.  I guess board height will be the deciding factor determining an inch more or less.  Night Wing, are your boards the same thickness, and do you use the same paddle length?

Both of my boards specifications are in my signature but just in case you missed it. My Hammer, at it's thickest point is 4" thick. My One World, at it's thickest point, is 4.5" thick. So there is only a 1/2" difference in thickness between my two boards.

I'm 5'8" tall, but I've got long arms and small hands. At 146 lbs, I'm small framed in skeletal structure. I'm skinny, but not tooth pick skinny if you get my drift. Since I have had both my right and left shoulders surgically repaired by the same orthopedic surgeon, he told me to ditch my Werner Trance 85 since the 85 square inch paddle blade would place to much stress on both of my shoulders. He also told me, the regular diameter shaft of the Werner was also too big for my small hands. And he was correct. My Alana 75 is very easy on my shoulders and with my small hands, the small diameter shaft of the Alana is easy for me to maneuver around when I paddling with it. BTW, the difference between my old Werner Trance 85 and my new Naish Alana 75 in feel is like "night and day".

I'm different than most people. When I flat water paddle, if the water is like glass or has very small ripples on it, I do not bend my knees when I'm paddling. I stand straight up because I do leisurely type paddling. I do not care how long it takes me to get from Point A to Point B as they say. With the smaller blade of the Alana, it takes very little effort to get my custom built 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 liters One World moving quickly. I attribute this to the custom build design of my One World along with my 146 lbs weight working in conjunction with the smaller 75 square inch Alana paddle blade. The is just my "gut feeling".

It was odd that I liked the 75" paddle length. Only after returning home and surfing around on YouTube that I came across Jim Terrell's video. His formula works for me for flat water paddling, but I didn't know that since I went flat water paddling first and saw his video second. I know when I take my One World to the coast for some sup surfing, I'll be bending my knees and I'm already thinking somewhere around a 73"-73.5" paddle length might work for me. I only received my One World on Feb 7th of this year so I haven't taken her sup surfing yet. I'm doing flat water paddling first to get a feel for what my One World can do before I tackle some waves down on the upper Texas coast.

One last thing. I've had a cranky lower back for quite a few years now. Even though I haven't had any lower back issues since last December, I know what my limitations are so this is why I do lots of experimentation when I'm on the water.

The bottom line is this. You can take conventional advice and put that advice to the test, but in the end, it's going to come down to your own experimentation that will decide what works BEST for you even if it goes against conventional advice.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 05:14:37 PM »
Since my last post, I've ridden my OW three more times. I've gotten very comfortable riding it on flat water. So comfortable in fact, I began shortening the length of my adjustable paddle. Today's paddling session was 2 1/2 hours with two 15 minutes breaks. In reality, I put in 2 hours of paddling. I was on the water by 9:00 am and there was no wind to speak of.

With no wind, I've shortened my paddle length to 72" and I'm still standing up with no bend in my knees. Keep in mind I'm 5'8" tall. When I take the paddle out of the water, at the top of the handle, before I reach forward to put the paddle blade back into the water, the top of my right hand (or left hand) is about even where my neck meets my chest. I no longer have my hands on the top of the paddle grip, above my shoulders now.

I really like the small diameter of my Alana 75 paddle. There is one oddity though. When I'm paddling with it, both of my pinky fingers on each hand are never wrapped around the paddle shaft. So when using this paddle, on both of my hands, I'm only holding the paddle with 4 fingers which includes switching from side to side when needed.

Around 10:00 am, a 10 mph wind came out of the southwest creating some nice ripples on the lake. Paddling straight into the wind, I had to bend my kness and with that, I shortened my paddle length to 71".

Even with my 5 fin setup, my 11'1"OW has a nice long glide when there is no wind. And it is fast when padding with the wind at my back. Looks like I'm close to taking my OW sup surfing. Just one more flat water paddle session since I want to try out a new foot stance first. I'm basically trying to "modify" a surfing stance and see if it will work on flat water. I came up with this wild hare of an idea when the wind was at my back and my board was moving along at a fast clip.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2018, 10:09:42 PM »
 Oui oui.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2018, 02:39:33 PM »
Oui oui.

Wow, that is new thought on paddle length.  I've been using my surf paddle about 5 inches taller than I stand.  I see by that chart, it seems that you should have it about the same as your height.  Think I'll pull out my old adjustable paddle and try it in the surf.

I wonder if my shoulder will hurt less.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2018, 05:20:41 PM »
I have two almost identical Quick Blade Kanaha's that I use pretty much only for surfing these days.
Blade size is 90.

One is 7 inches overhead; the other is 6 inches overhead.

I almost always grab the 7" overhead (eventhough it leaks a bit through the handle)
 because it lets me more easily turn the board - do a 180 to catch waves.  I can
get it just over and around the nose in the water.
I just can't do that with the other paddle.  Of course, I'm surfing pretty big longboards
10'6" and 10'1".  Hmmmm, actually, I may not have tried the shorter paddle while
surfing the shorter board.  Gotta try it.

I did feel I could get a better take-off stroke with the shorter paddle but it
didn't seem to outweigh the turning around factor.

Funny, when I first started SUP surfing in 2010, a pretty good SUP surfer told
me my 7" overhead paddle was too short.  Now, it is considered far too long.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2018, 09:12:26 AM »
Cool little 'no fins' video, Warren.  I think any sort of practice/exercise variant is beneficial.   Check your inner ear without a visit to an Otolaryngologist: paddle with your eyes closed.  (But, better in 4' of water than walking down stairs)

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2018, 02:16:55 PM »
I've been "fine tuning" my board, where I stand on my board along with choosing the optimum paddle length because of my long wingspan and my wingspan is longer than my height.

With the high pressure dome of air that has been sitting on top of us for almost two months which suppresses wave action on the Texas coast and because of that, I've been doing a lot of flat water paddling. The old, "when presented with lemons, make lemonade" comes to mind.

My new sweet spot when standing on my 11'1" board is straddling the Sup Grip handle where the middle of both of my feet are (in the high point of my arch) above the opening of the grip handle going towards the nose of the board.

Before, I had both of my toes on both feet even with the opening of the sup grip going towards the nose. I'm guessing with my 146 lb physical weight and the 173 liters of volume of the board, I have a larger sweet spot than if I was heavier. Nothing scientific, just a feeling. But it is a very good feeling.

By moving my feet a little closer towards the nose of the board, it seems I can lower the length of my 75 adjustable length paddle too. I've come down from 73" to 70" now. When paddling, the top of my hand on top of the paddle grip is right at my nose. I think my long arms are coming into play here.

Anyhow, with last weeks little tropical disturbance affecting all of the Texas coast, the high pressure dome of air has moved off for a little while but it will return. So I'm going to take advantage of it. Monday's (6-25-2018) weather forecast for Surfside, TX is wind speed of 15 mph gusting to 25 mph with wave heights between 3.9 feet to 4.6 feet. My plan is to be on the water by 6:15 am. With a 117 mile trip, I'm going to leave my home for Surfside at 4:00 am.

I have a sneaking suspicion when I'm down at Surfside, I'll need to lower the paddle length from 70" to 68" and "see how it goes" since I know I'm going to be bending my knees more than when I'm flat water paddling.

I'll be giving my first sup surfing session with my One World probably sometime this upcoming Tuesday because I know I'm going to "over do it" on Monday and I'll probably be quite tired when I return home Monday afternoon. I'll have to take care of my equipment first and then take a shower. After that, I'm pretty sure I'll "crash" when I sit in my very soft La-Z-Boy recliner.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2018, 10:49:11 AM »
This post will mainly be for the non registered lurkers on this site.

Since my tanker surfing trip when I was tanker surfing two ship bow waves, I had shortened my paddle from it's usual 70" length paddling out to catch a tanker bow wave, to 66" when actually surfing those two tanker bow waves.

Since my tanker trip, I've been playing around on our main subdivision lake by shortening my paddle length. I got out on the lake this morning at 6:15 am to "beat the summer heat" since it is brutal right now air temperature wise and heat index wise. I paddled for 2 hours and quit at 8:15 am.

I experimented by adjusting my paddle technique while standing on my sup. I decided to start at a 66" paddle length which was the same length as my tanker trip when actually sup surfing. It felt "different" at first on flatwater, but I eventually got used to it. I paddled at the 66" length for one hour.

But my curiosity eventually got to me. I started having thoughts of going shorter in paddle length. So I shortened my adjustable length paddle down to 65". When I started my first paddle session with this new length, it really felt awkward. But just like when I first started at 66", I got used to 65" in about 10 minutes of time.

While paddling, I looked down and the top of the paddle blade was just below the board at the thickest part of the my sup even with my feet on the sup so I knew I was on the right track experimentation wise. I paddled like this for the second hour and when the sun's rays came over the trees onto the lake, I quit and headed for home.

My Naish adjustable paddle is basically advertised as a woman's sup paddle because of it's small diameter paddle shaft, but with my small hands, I really love the small diameter shaft. The 75 paddle blade is also very good for both of my right and left surgically repaired shoulders.

Since my wingspan is longer than my height, I had always thought I would need a longer paddle length, but in reality, I'm going shorter. I think my long arms, small hands with a small diameter paddle shaft is the right combination to allow me to go shorter in paddle length since my paddling technique is also improving.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2018, 12:28:59 PM »
For comparison.

My height is 72" and my wing span is 77".

My surf paddle is 73".

The distance your hands are from each other will have a big affect on your stroke. I like to keep my hands about two inches less than half my height appart when going for a wave and I relax that just a bit for casual flatwater. I put a piece of tape on the shaft to mark the spot where my lower hand should be.

Half my height = 36" - 2" = 34". I mark the paddle at 34" and keep my lower hand just below that mark.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 01:05:33 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal