Author Topic: Sup Sprorts "One World" 11'1' x 30" # 173 Liters Flatwater Review  (Read 8349 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
I had a few errands to run this morning and returned home at 11:30 am. Ate an early lunch. Then checked the water temperature at our subdivisions largest private lake. Water temperature was 66 degrees F. Perfect for me. Air temperature was 83 degrees F with 96% humidity so it felt warmer than it actually was.

What wasn't perfect, there is a weather front slowly make its way across Texas. The wind was out of the southeast at a steady 14 mph with gusts up to 22 mph. This wind condition put a damper on myn different fin setups experiment. With this wind, I decided to only use one single fin setup and the logical choice was my 9" fin. I placed the back of the fin about 1" from the tail end of the 10" Futures fin box.

My paddle equipment included my new Type III manual inflatable vest, my 10' sup leash and my new Naish Alana 75, two piece adjustable paddle. Since I had right  shoulder surgery on 3-29-2017, almost a year ago, I was anxious to see how my right shoulder would hold up with my new paddle in these wind conditions. This paddle also has a small diameter shaft which is perfect for my small hands. And the Blue Planet Sup Grip made carrying my board, with the left rail under my right armpit, a pleasure.

https://www.naishsurfing.com/product/alana-75-vario-rds/

The lake had lots of big ripples on it and at times, they broke into very small whitecaps. With these wind conditions, I decided to make it easy on myself. Since the wind was coming from the southeast, I decided to launch my board at the northwest part of the lake. I figured going into the wind would give my surgically repaired right shoulder a good test and coming back, I would have the wind at my back with my back acting as a sail. Which means I could rest  on the way back to my launch/starting point.

I made six round trip runs. Mainly because I was really enjoying myself and I hadn't been on my Hammer since the last week in November of 2016.

My One World (OW) was very stable when I first got on it. I decided to use a 75" paddle length to start out with. Just a little ways from shore, I went to a 75.5" length. This suited me better.

Going upwind, I was surprised how easy my OW went upwind with less effort than I anticipated in the high wind. Tracking in a straight line was very good since I could paddle 7 strokes on the right side and then paddled 7 strokes on the left side. I made sure to keep the wind in my face going upwind. If the wind speed wouldn't have been as high as it was, I might have had a chance to get 8 paddle strokes on each side. But that will be for another test on a different day when the wind speed should be lower. I'm hoping for this upcoming Friday.

Coming back to my launch/starting point with the wind at my back, I had a lot of fun just gliding along with the wind pushing me. After three round trips, I adjusted the paddle length to 76" and I think I'm going to settle on this length for flat water paddling for right now.

I didn't try to do any flat water paddling with the wind coming broadside at the board at a 90 degree angle. I figured I was just going to keep it simple today and not tempt "Murphy's Law".

Oh! Almost forgot. Badger, you were correct. I didn't fall off the board and I only got wet up to my knees when I first got on my board and then when I got off of my board at the launch/starting point. Absolutely no problems with my right shoulder. The right shoulder felt strong at the start and it felt strong at the end. I guess all those shoulder exercises I did 3 times a week, in 1 hour sessions for 52 weeks paid off. I have no pain or discomfort in my right shoulder. Full range of mobility, but I had that 4 weeks after surgery so I wasn't concerned about shoulder mobility.

And I came away with a small bonus. My cranky lower back was not cranky. I think the new and proper mattress for my shoulders and back I bought in April of 2017 for sleeping on is the root cause of that. I'll explain later in a different forum.

I'm going to take my OW out again and with the weather iffy for Wednesday and Thursday of this week, I'm looking forward to Friday. I want to test out a 2 + 1 setup (2, 5") and (1, 9"). Then the acid test will be a quad +1 setup, (2, 5") (2, 4") and (1, 2.25"). I will report back in this topic thread.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 05:35:47 PM by Night Wing »
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sup Sprorts "One World" 11'1' x 30" # 173 Liters Flatwater Review
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 09:46:19 PM »
First paddle on a new board, how sweet is that. And it also clicks, right on.

Personally I would see a board like that as single fin.

Enjoy the new ride.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 12:55:20 AM »
Thanks for reporting out on the new board. Congrats on getting it out in the water.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 04:54:22 AM »
Hi Nightwing, welcome back to waterworld!
I am glad your shoulder was 100%, that's awesome  :)

Nice report, I like that you discuss PFD and paddle length experimenting, because a lot of folks come here looking for that info (even better with your height included)

For flat-water paddling that shape, I like the single fin option as well.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 08:35:50 AM »
I also suggest going with a single fin. There is simply no point in having more than one fin for flatwater.

All the side fins will do is add drag when paddling. Side fins are only for surfing.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 03:08:00 PM »
Hi Nightwing, welcome back to waterworld!
I am glad your shoulder was 100%, that's awesome  :)

Nice report, I like that you discuss PFD and paddle length experimenting, because a lot of folks come here looking for that info (even better with your height included)

For flat-water paddling that shape, I like the single fin option as well.

I put a lot of time in rehabbing my right shoulder. My orthopedic surgeon told me the shoulder surgery I had would need 12 months to heal and would be fully healed without any problems (no mobility problems, no discomfort of any kind) "as long as I did my part by sticking to my shoulder exercising regimen for 12 months". And he was right.

For the lurkers out there reading this, I'm 5'8" tall and I weigh 145 lbs. My Naish Alana 75, two piece adjustable paddle weighs 19 ounces (1 lb, 3 oz). My Mustang DLX 38 Manual Inflatable PFD (Type III) weighs 22 ounces (1 lb, 6 oz).
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 06:47:54 PM »
Took my OW out this morning. When I started at 8:00 am, the air temperature was 57 degrees F. The wind was dead calm and the lake water was like glass. Since we had a cold front pass through Tuesday night/Wednesday morning and dumped 5.8" of rain, the water temperature in our largest private lake was a chilly (for me) 64 degrees F. I took all of my fins with me this time, along with my fin key since this day was for evaluating different fin configurations.

I still had the large 9" single fin on my OW. The tracking was still good and since I didn't have to contend with any wind, I could paddle a straight line with 8 paddle strokes on the right side of my board and then I had to switch over to my and do 8 paddle strokes on the left side. The glide was very good and I made sure I placed the blade of the paddle in the same place on the right and left sides/rails of my board. I also took the blade out of the water right around the back of both heels of my feet. I did this padding with all of my different fin setups to not create any deviations in my strokes and where my feet were placed on my board.

After about 30 minutes of paddling around for my first session, I went back to my launching spot and installed two, 5" fins to go along with the single 9" fin.

With this 2 +1 (3 fin setup) configuration, straight line tracking was still the same as with the large 9" single fin. The glide was not as good though. I was expecting this since there was more drag on the tail end of the board. After my second 30 minute paddling session with the 2 + 1 (3 fin setup), I again went back to my launching spot to install a quad + 1 (5 fin setup).

My last 30 minute padding session was spent paddling around with a quad + 1 (5 fin setup)  which consisted of (2, 5"), (2, 4") and (1, 2.25" nubster). Again, straight line tracking was good, but  there was an oddity this time. Even though the glide of the quad + 1 (5 fin setup) wasn't as good as the single, 9" fin setup, the glide was a lot better than the 2 + 1 (3 fin setup) which was (2, 5") and (1, 9").

I'm not an engineer so I don't know if my physical weight had anything to do with this oddity or where my feet were placed on the board while I was padding, the weight of the board or the design of the board.

But, I am going to take a wild guess and I think it has something to do with the 9" fin in the 2 +1 (3 fin setup) which was (2, 5") and (1, 9"). The 9" fin is long in length and it is a lot thicker than either a 4" fin and like wise with a 2.25" nubster fin.

Just an interesting and quite an unexpected observation.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 05:26:22 AM »
I always get a kick out of reading your posts.  ;)  Your unique way of writing is very entertaining.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 11:25:36 AM »
@ Badger

When I was employed in the maritime industry, everything had to be written out in "detail" and this is why I write like I do.

This will be off topic but I'll give you an example what a detail means in conjunction with different topics.

I help out at a computer repair shop. Lots of times we deal with these types of phone calls and it goes like this. A person calls up on the phone saying he did a Windows 10 update and now his laptop has no wifi. So I ask the person what version of Windows 10 is he using? The person says back to me, "I told you it was Windows 10". I then tell the person just bring it in and we'll look at it at no charge to.

Windows 10 is a computer operating system and every six months Microsoft comes out with a new version and each version is slightly different when it comes to repairing things which goes wrong in the operating system due to Microsoft adding and deleting things in each version of Windows 10. So we need some details to get us in the general ball park to figure what went wrong and how to fix it.

Windows 10, version 1511 was the Original
Windows 10, version 1607 was the Anniversary
Windows 10, version 1703 was the Creator's Update
Windows 10, version 1709 was the Fall Creator's Update edition
Windows 10, version 1803 (which will be released in April of 2018) will be named the Spring Creator's Update.

Or I get a person who is a little more tech savvy who has a problem and tells me he is using the Fall Creator's Update, version 1709 of Windows 10. But when we get a look at his laptop, we find out he is not using 1709, he is using the Creator's Update which is version 1703.

Getting back on my fin setup experiment. If I would have changed my paddle stroke, lets say, by making it  longer on my second session with the 3 fin setup. Instead of my blade coming out of the water at the back of my foot's heel like on the first session with the single fin setup, but this time 6'" farther back from my foot's heel, this is a detail which would introduce a variable which would affect the glide in relation to the 3 fin setup.

In other words, for all three different fin setups, the paddle stroke must be the same at all times and if it is not, then the results/info is worthless since an error has been introduced because of a change.

So details, no matter how small or how they may be seen by others as irrelevant, are important. It just depends on who is looking at the info.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 11:29:02 AM by Night Wing »

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 12:46:25 PM »
If you really want to use the Rick Kane method, try paddling around your lake without any fins.

At first you'll feel like you are slipping sideways until you realize that you can paddle in a straight line with just using a correct paddle stroke, one without sweeping out to the side or pulling too far back.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 09:16:36 PM »
With my OW being 30" wide at it's widest part; I try to keep the paddle stroke going from forward to backward, in a straight line, as close to the widest width of the board as possible without the paddle blade hitting the rails. And for me, this is harder to do when it is windy.

If I would try the Rick Kane method, padding without fins on either of my Hammer or my One World, I'm 100% certain I wouldn't be able to stay on the board very long and I would probably spend most of my time falling off the board into the water and then re-mounting the board. After 15-20 minutes of this routine, I'd be worn out. Then I'd "limp back to my home to lick my wounds" as they say.  ;)

And although I haven't  had an episode with my cranky lower back since December of 2017, I don't want to push my luck either with regards to Murphy's Law and my lower back when it comes to paddling a sup without any fins.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 06:19:18 AM »
NW, I think if you tried it without fins, you might be surprised how stable the board still is. A 9" fin doesn't add a whole lot of stability. I doubt you would fall.

I would think with all your attention to detail, a test without fins would hold some very valuable information.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 09:00:14 AM »
@ Badger

After seeing your comments, I had to ask myself this question. Would I ever paddle, when it comes to flat water padding, paddle my One World or for that matter, my Hammer without any fins? My answer would be, "No". Why? I do not want to tempt fate at this time. I'll explain.

When I first got my Hammer during the last week of June of 2016, I only used it for two weeks because I got bit by a brown recluse spider which I'm sure you remember. As soon as I saw the spider, I knew it was a brown recluse and I was in big trouble. I kept my cool, killed the spider, brought it back to my home and put the spider in a small plastic vial. I then called my soft tissue surgeon's office (since my soft tissue surgeon has operated on me four separate times and I'm on a first name basis with his entire office staff) and told his staff nurse what happened.

She told me my surgeon was at the regional hospital doing outpatient surgery for that day. She then told me to get myself to the Emergency Room, with the dead spider, but do not check in at the ER desk. The nurse told me she would page my surgeon, tell him what happened to me and he would see me between surgical procedures he had scheduled for that morning.

When my surgeon saw the dead spider and the spider bite on my hand, he took me to a side room. There, he opened up the bite and some black stuff started coming out of it and this stuff was the flesh eating kind of stuff. He dressed it and told me to check and re-dress the bite wound three times a day. He also told me this type of spider bite will leave an open hole and it won't scab over. It will take a long time to heal since the tissue has to heal from the bottom to the top.

And he was correct about the healing time. It took 8 weeks for that bite wound to close on my left hand. I didn't get back on the water until the second week in September of 2016.

Fast forward to March 29th of 2017 and this is when I had my right shoulder operated on. My orthopedic surgeon told me to stay off of my sup board for the rest of 2017. From the last week in October of 2016 to this past week, I've been off the water when it comes to using a standup paddle board.

Today is April 1st, 2018. I've just now got back on the water and I don't want to tempt Fate and it's partner, "Murphy's Law". But lets say I try using my One World without any fins. I can think of three things and one of those things would happen. They are:

1) Nothing happens and all goes well.
2) I lose my balance lots of times, fall into the water lots of times and just wear myself out.
3) I lose my balance but instead of falling into the water, I fall onto one (or more) of my ribs.

So lets take a look at option #3 above. I don't clear the board when I'm falling and I fall onto a rail in my ribcage area. And my new Type III PFD is not going to protect my ribs. There are three new things which could happen.

1) I bruise a rib or (two) so I'm just sore in the ribcage area.
2) I hair line fracture a rib (or two) so I'm really sore and my ribcage area is taped 360 degrees around for two (or more) weeks.
3) I break a rib and the rib punctures one of my lungs which is really bad news and I've got an inpatient hospital stay and I'm not on the water again.

So, with all these scenarios which could happen, do I want to tempt Fate and it's partner, "Murphy's Law" by paddling my One World without fins? My answer is; "Not no, but Hell No!"  ;)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2018, 11:22:07 AM »
You need and impact vest and you need to just do it. I guess it will improve your balance and be fun. For a special session.

And if you can find some waves even more.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2018, 12:13:17 PM »
 Rick took awhile to get it.... but he did.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal