Author Topic: 404 Go-Go Finarama!  (Read 7988 times)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 404 Go-Go Finarama!
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2018, 05:58:16 AM »
Should be Keith not Kreith. It's all the way to the right between a Makini Roto and  Fatboy Longboard.

Keith  McCulloch fins now used in all NSP raceboards.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2018, 05:36:59 AM »
Interesting feedback. The Keith McCulloch looks fast.

I have a Fluid Foils hatchet too. Must have got it over 10 years ago. Used that early years DWing. Liked the added stability. Then moved to dolphin fins and now use an FCS Slater Trout. Same as your black FCS but smaller a waaaay lighter.

A LA Gladiator, or the Fluid Foils hatchet or the black FCS you have are fins which maximise surface area for their length. I find that handy for beach starts with rocky bottoms where you don’t want scratch your fin.

I find one gets used to a fin. I’ve swapped and compared less than you. I played around with millions of fins windsurfing. Where a spinout is something you really want to avoid. Turns out avoiding spinouts comes down a lot to rider skill.

The Gladiator’s square edges would worry me for fast speeds but at our speeds I’m sure doesn’t matter and is just a look.

I like the Slater Trout largely because I liked the Hatchet shape and it’s very short, light, quick to put in (click in) and likely fairly efficient for least drag. I’m happy with Dolphin’s as well which I break out for bigger days.

Check out these fins on Thai longtail boats. The one is the foreground is so basic. The 2 behind are nice clean shapes.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2018, 06:49:12 AM »
Check out these fins on Thai longtail boats. The one is the foreground is so basic. The 2 behind are nice clean shapes.

That's essentially the Aercor fin. If you don't like how your Maliko is turning you might want
to give this one a try.
in progress...

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2018, 08:22:09 AM »
I know. I’d like to get one.

[Even if it isn’t the fin that makes a Maliko non turny. Jimmy Lewis’ M14 is turny even with it’s utra wide original fin. But that’s another discussion.]

Funny thing is we used to have lots of these kinds of fins in windsurfing early days. Now windsurf fins are all daggers. Of course speeds are very different.

Speaking of windsurfing it’s the 40’th anniversary of Schweitzer and Drakes Windsurfer this year. And is making an interesting comeback with course racing events. For those who remember the fin it was so puny (and flimsy).

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2018, 08:29:39 AM »

That's essentially the Aercor fin. If you don't like how your Maliko is turning you might want
to give this one a try.

You just reminded me to dust of my Aercor and use it more often. Specially on the rudderless Ace-GT.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2018, 09:09:47 AM »
My first 12'6" was an Exocet Marlin with NSP like log rolling "stability". That led to my MFC experiments. A huge fin should solve that problem.

And I just bought a NOS 404 V 3 12'6". Racing tomorrow on a dammed (not damned) river.

Huge water ski wakes and seaplane landings led to the Gladiator. What's the most stable monster out there?

The Makini and the McCulloch are fast, but my balance skillz limit their use to glassy conditions.

The Makini Roto is slightly slower, but way more stable. Aercor looks interesting to say the least!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 09:14:56 AM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2018, 03:07:03 PM »
Huge water ski wakes and seaplane landings led to the Gladiator. What's the most stable monster out there?

One fin that answers that call is the LA Ninja. Surprisingly fast for a 10" deep.
I replaced it with the LA GTX, only 8.5" but just as stable, I only use it serious ocean
mess though. You might want to start with the LA GTS, same template only 7.5" deep,
should be around the 50sqi so plenty of surface good tip hold but still surfy. very versatile fin.

As a side note, the best setup I found for the conditions you describe it the GTS with the
addition of the Abuelo ventral. This setup works magic to the point you want believe it is
the same board when you ride it area with heavy boat wakes and general washing machine
conditions.
in progress...

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2018, 03:13:32 PM »
I know. I’d like to get one.
[Even if it isn’t the fin that makes a Maliko non turny.] You could easily move the fin box
8" forward (for the 14x26 ) you should see improvement. Nothing we can do about the outline.

in progress...

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2018, 03:22:10 PM »
The Great Stone Dam Race went off without a hitch.

NE winds gusting to 20. Chop up to 3 feet.

I was on my 12'6" 404 V 3. Oops. Used the Makini Roto. Never fell. Average speed  a little higher, top speed a little slower. All of the info on the V3 being not fun in cross, beam seas are true.

The NECKLA officials ran an awesome event. My curiosity led me to ask if this was the most difficult of the eight years because of the wind.

The response was a loud affirmative.

Blame Florence!🤣
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2018, 04:29:36 AM »
Nothing is fun in cross, beam seas. But the view is better than doing squats in the gym.

Why not use your GoGo?

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2018, 06:13:37 AM »
I had just bought the V3 and wanted to do a skillz evaluation in non ocean conditions.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal