Author Topic: 404 Go-Go Finarama!  (Read 7986 times)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
404 Go-Go Finarama!
« on: March 24, 2018, 12:25:07 PM »
Last summer I borrowed a 404 LTD and a 404 V3. Ended up buying a 14' Go-Go after Danny informed me that it is the most stable of the line. Designed as a BOP style board that is fast, but also surfs well.

I competed in four races last year on it and had some decent results. Have paddled all winter #livinginadrysuit and have finally settled on a fin that is stable and fast. It has a big skull on it and was designed by Larry Allison.

I deal with crazy boat wakes, seaplanes, tidal voodoo chap and have crappy balance as a result of my SCA and more damage than Evel K.

Upright fins that are faster in clean conditions seem to "hunt" in DW and chop. Low volume racer fins suck in chop. This monster works for me!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 404 Go-Go Finarama!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 12:27:34 PM »
Pic!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 02:43:31 PM »
Nice! I think I know what you're saying about more vertical fins "hunting".
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 03:32:21 PM »
A person’s DW fin choice tends to evolve over time. It will be interesting to see if you are still using this fin in a couple of years.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 03:54:10 PM »
A10, if I was looking for a dedicated DW fin this wouldn't be it! I would go right back to an old Maui Fin Company that is spectacular on "downbreezers". Cross and side not so much!

Open Ocean downwinding with large swells, and crazy wind no idea what I would like. My "down breezers" max out at 30 knots and are very short period swells chest to head  high max. But you might have to contend with several all in the 14' length.

During the Crazy Storm there were overhead swells in the corner of Pleasant Bay. 94 mph gusts. Eddie would NOT go! Water kook took a little vid..
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 04:26:10 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 07:47:14 AM »
I deal with crazy boat wakes, seaplanes, tidal voodoo chap and have crappy balance as a result of my SCA and more damage than Evel K.

Upright fins that are faster in clean conditions seem to "hunt" in DW and chop. Low volume racer fins suck in chop. This monster works for me!

Yep have 2 Elites and 1 Hybrid Gladiator fin.  Are perfectly ok fins even for DW so long as you stay ahead of the bump.  If not the bump behind can push the tail and cause handling problems for any large area fin.  Normally for DW will use the SIC 8.3 or 7.0 or even the plain jane plastic FCS Touring.  All work fine even the often dissed JL Tracker.

Both my Dom and AS came with Gladiator Elite fins.  Have been using on my AS to help slow the roll in messy slop chop and has allowed me to stay dry for over a year now in all conditions.  But on my Dom pretty much always plop in the SIC 7.0 so that board can turn faster and have lower drag.

Edit:  Haha!  Tried to delete a pic but it just added another.  Oops.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 07:50:36 AM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 08:20:22 AM »
Ya! And the Skull rules!🤣
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 04:49:49 AM »
Minor distinction, but it is a Gladiator helmet, not a technically a skull. Just sayin.   8).   My two cents: I prefer the SIC 7.0 for downwind and quartering also. Allows the board to slip in a controlled fashion and not get whacked around. Too me a few years to realize that smaller is better in the roughs. Very Counterintuitive. Try it and you might like it too.
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 06:38:51 AM »
It's supposed to be a Gladiator helmet, but isn't it really a Spartain helmet  ;D

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 01:05:39 PM »
^ likely.

I do believe DWing is my agoge training.

MrBig, work your way down to a smaller fin and let us know! I don't have a Go-Go to ride.

I find on gets used to a fin. So need to use one for a few weeks and then come back to the one that was used before. It's a slow evolution to find your favorite. The smaller ones are better in crossed up conditions or quartering I find.

The Gladiator shape is pretty efficient - from the point of view of surface area with respect to depth. Where I ride there are a lot of weeds in summer. I like the Slater Trout. It's the perfect balance of : surface area with respext to depth / not to much draft / good leadig edge angle for weeds / light

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 01:19:30 PM »
So need to use one for a few weeks and then come back to the one that was used before. It's a slow evolution to find your favorite. The smaller ones are better in crossed up conditions or quartering I find.

Very true. Even after months of using a fin, you sometime just feel like using something else that you were not using before. Maybe as technique changes in a subtle way.
That is why I have sometime a hard time letting go of fins even if I use them only once in a blue moon.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 04:53:46 AM »
Just when you thought it was safe. Raced the Go-Go in open ocean swells, placed, caught a wave to pass some folks, and then caught a rail. Surfing the 14' Go-Go interesting. Shuda practiced! Different than downbreezing which is easy on the Monstah!
Using a Makini instead of the Gladiator.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 01:19:10 PM »
It's supposed to be a Gladiator helmet, but isn't it really a Spartain helmet  ;D

The helmet is a hellenic design worn by ancient Greeks, Spartans, etc. There were many different designs of the basic helmet which can be see in the link below.

http://www.hellenic-art.com/armour/smallhelmets/
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 08:06:32 AM »
Have been surfing a long time. Have a collection of long board fins which has been augmented by a bunch of race fins.

In the Go-Go the Gladiator is the most
stable. The hand shaped Kreith is the fastest.
The Makini is slightly more stable.

The Surfing Down Wind thread I follow with interest. In my down breezers short period experience the MFC down winder is my favorite.
Although it would be interesting to take the Rainbow Boomarang out for a spin at MTK and do some turns!🏄🦈🤣
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 08:37:16 AM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 03:25:12 AM »
Which one is the Kreith?