Author Topic: Need/Want foil sup  (Read 15973 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Re: Need/Want foil sup
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2018, 09:01:44 PM »
Spoke w/my install guy today and he has a "Chinook'' box coming in next week for the mount. Gonna watch him do the install w/GoPro charged up. Fingers crossed everything goes well.

that's actually the data from my Rip Curl "SearchGPS" watch, and not a Trace. with your GoPro, the Trace is nice that it's able to link up to that somehow, and put your stats right on the video footage you're taking.
I knew that about the Trace/GoPro link. Pretty sure Beasho has that wired. I might do it....only after I learn the foil. I kinda don't even wanna setup the SS right away. Gonna need to concentrate on schoolin' the foil.

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2018, 11:59:00 PM »
Spoke w/my install guy today and he has a "Chinook'' box coming in next week for the mount. Gonna watch him do the install w/GoPro charged up. Fingers crossed everything goes well.

that's actually the data from my Rip Curl "SearchGPS" watch, and not a Trace. with your GoPro, the Trace is nice that it's able to link up to that somehow, and put your stats right on the video footage you're taking.
I knew that about the Trace/GoPro link. Pretty sure Beasho has that wired. I might do it....only after I learn the foil. I kinda don't even wanna setup the SS right away. Gonna need to concentrate on schoolin' the foil.

It's really easy & after watching somebody do it, it'll even be easier (Chinooks were always my box of choice). I used to use a router jig for fin boxes but you really don't even need one if you take your time (I quit using jigs because it was faster/easier without). Really the only concern is using a router. If you've done router work before, then no big deal. If not be careful, they spin fast & can do a lot of damage quickly. Make sure you turn off the router & let the bit completely stop before pulling the tool out of the whole...I'm passing this advise on because I almost learned this lesson the hard way. At that point I had installed probably thousands of fin boxes and had gotten a bit "over confident" & used to let the router spin down on the floor...until the one time I stepped around it & touched the arch side of my shoe on the bit. Scared the SHIT out of me! It was a very violent smack against my foot & pulling the router out of my shoe wasn't easy. I initially thought it had sunk into my foot but fortunately it was just my sock wrapped around the bit. It tore my sock from mid calf and had it all wrapped around the bit. I had the tiniest of scratch from where the bit touched my foot. Needless to say from that day forward I always let the tool wind down inside the hole before removing it. Don't want to scare you, it is easy, but be careful with the router.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2018, 06:35:46 PM »
LM- It was a very violent smack against my foot & pulling the router out of my shoe wasn't easy.  :o Holy Smokes! Power tools are so dangerous. Thanx for the details on the chinook and it's install. Very cool.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2018, 07:51:37 PM »
Scariest post this year.

I run those things with extreme caution. Glad to hear you made it through with only a scratch. Those bits are crazy.

Can't wait to see the footage of this install.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2018, 08:12:26 PM »
I hate to say it but my foiling experience will be delayed because my hip is so effed. It's in alot of pain and I'm benched for a while but still amped to get strong and learn this! Might be a while though. I'm gonna set the board up and wait it out. I surfed around the injury three days in a row last week and now it's time to rest it.
  The KeNalu Iwa775 should be here next week and the install should be soon also. And seems my brother-in-law has a 16 foot Boston whaler and is willing to tow me. So there's some good news.in the mean time maybe I can learn what these dimensions actually are!
775- 250mm x 775mm- 1496cm2 aspect ratio 4.14 (this is the go to size for most in smaller surf & has proven to work well for riders 200+ lbs)

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:23:46 PM by surfercook »

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2018, 06:03:57 PM »
I hate to say it but my foiling experience will be delayed because my hip is so effed. It's in alot of pain and I'm benched for a while but still amped to get strong and learn this! Might be a while though. I'm gonna set the board up and wait it out. I surfed around the injury three days in a row last week and now it's time to rest it.
  The KeNalu Iwa775 should be here next week and the install should be soon also. And seems my brother-in-law has a 16 foot Boston whaler and is willing to tow me. So there's some good news.in the mean time maybe I can learn what these dimensions actually are!
775- 250mm x 775mm- 1496cm2 aspect ratio 4.14 (this is the go to size for most in smaller surf & has proven to work well for riders 200+ lbs)

Great choice on the foil.  You have to get a KeNalu paddle now too. 
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2018, 08:14:42 AM »
Great choice on the foil.  You have to get a KeNalu paddle now too.
Thanx, Chris. I though so too but doubt I will score a KeNalu paddle. The $$s I'm laying out for this foil biz is quite alot. Pretty much why I never learned to kite. But foiling is definitely drawing more way more than kiting and after much thought and research I decided to pull the trigger. I have a Kealoa Methane that is going to be my go to paddle for foiling. Scored it for $180 on ebay a few yrs ago. Those KeNalus are super nice though for sure.
This is the Methane b4 I cut her down.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 08:22:37 AM by surfercook »

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2018, 02:19:47 PM »
My Iwa775 is shipping today. Hong Kong to New Jersey! Should be here by the end of next week. In the meantime I got my hands on a demo to get me started. 7'0" Naish Raptor w/a Naish foil. I think the foil is one notch down in size from my Iwa. wish me luck!owner of island Surf and sail was very kind and trusting (and confident I won't wreck his gear!) to let me use it for a while.
Terry_Naish_Foil by surfercook, on Flickr

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2018, 07:17:17 PM »
Fear the foil! It's like surfing w/a battle axe under you! My first go out went as follows (wanted to video it but was pressed for time w/sunset closing in).

Short period windswell about waist to chest. Mid tide receding. No one out.

1- First wave veer to left and shoot board. No flight
2- Second wave veer to right and shoot board. Minimal flight.
3- Third was board starts flying to quickly on the drop and I shoot board in straight while watching the thing lift off and turn upside down.
4- As I was jumping back on the board my second toe on my left foot hit/kicked one of the wings trailing edges and sliced me pretty good! I
    hope the KeNalu IWA has kinder edges than the Naish.
5- Start dropping in and the board is flying at about 3/4 of the way down the face. I instinctively and immediately put my left hand on the deck
    and extend my right hand while holding the paddle. The board does an approximate 100 degree turn to the left (my backside) and I ride it
    out to the shoulder.

It was an amazing feeling being up there flying my first go out, even if only for a few seconds!  It was good practice kicking the board away from me and also wrestling the leash from the foil and tucking it into my waist harness. I can see how being towed would really help get used to flying the board. I definitely have a for real fear of that thing now though and don't have to guess what it's like any more. Hoping for some smoother water and better tide for my next go out. The waves were sucking out and throwing pretty good. I let quite a few pass that  I normally would have taken on a regular sup board. They were just too late.
I shoulda worn boots...wish someone had said something..I read every piece of advice and watched a sh!t ton of safety vids b4 pulling the trigger on foiling and not once did anyone say wear boots. I also didn't even think of it!  ;D

foil-cut by surfercook, on Flickr
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 07:56:14 PM by surfercook »

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2018, 07:07:29 AM »
My Iwa775 foil arrived but the US dual channel box install hasn't even started yet...but I do have the Naish loaner. My glasser/installer is quite busy trying to get his surf shop open. It's being raised after 25 yrs of sitting in flood waters after every storm. First thing I noticed was the Iwa is much much lighter than the Naish. Also much kinder trailing edges...not hardly sharp at all. The KeNalu is all carbon fiber except the fuselage which is aluminum, as opposed to the Naish foil which seems to be entirely aluminum construction. The KeNalu seems MUCH safer. Also liking the modular system and carry case.

But they just did a beach replenish in my town and it's gonna be tough foiling...waves are breaking really close to the shore now.
I will have to seek another break
That's the good thing about sand though, it shifts 🙂 Coupla good strms and it'll be back...hopefully.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 07:42:39 AM by surfercook »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal