Author Topic: Need/Want foil sup  (Read 15978 times)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Need/Want foil sup
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2018, 10:40:01 AM »
It seems many Zoners still aren't aware...so another blatant advertising post (I ran a Zone special that many took advantage of). Our next shipment should arrive in about a week. So far our combo set with a 580 & 775 wing is the hottest seller.
Well aware of it, capobeachboy was showing his demo set months ago, but was/is still waiting for some different fuselage to be sent to him before being able to give demo rides with it. I kept asking, and he was kept waiting as recently as a couple weeks ago...so don't know what to tell you. I'm not buying anything w/o first at least seeing it in action, and now really not before I get a chance to demo them regardless of price (made that mistake once already, and not doing it again). Didn't want to wait any longer so moved on to something else...but still really want to give the Ke Nalu foils a go, and who knows what that might lead to, so....  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:43:05 AM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2018, 11:30:00 AM »
Lane, if you're giving a zoner discount on 970 wing pre-orders let me know!

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2018, 03:33:21 PM »
Interesting reading here. I'm all for an easy learning curve and was pretty sold on a carbon fiber rig....having second thoughts now. Price point is sure alot less for the Slingshot. And I like the idea of the shorter mast for starting out.

http://blog.slingshotsports.com/2018/01/23/aluminum-surf-foils-vs-carbon-surf-foils-which-is-better/

Also have been discussing in detail w/the owner of Island Surf and Sail who will be doing the install and I'm pretty sold on the plate mount. He suggested this mount but I'm leaning toward the twin box track system like the one on this sweet looking F-One Papenoo convertible sup (which is really close to the dims on my V-box).
I've really been putting my options under a microscope and need some direction here.

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2018, 04:29:08 PM »
Interesting reading here. I'm all for an easy learning curve and was pretty sold on a carbon fiber rig....having second thoughts now. Price point is sure alot less for the Slingshot. And I like the idea of the shorter mast for starting out.

I've really been putting my options under a microscope and need some direction here.

Here's personal opinion on the some direction....run the other way, and don't waste your money on the Slingshot unless you weigh a buck-sixty-five or less (and that might be pushing it)....they're cheap for a reason....
IMO, Slingshot did us dirty by simply taking their "Hover Glide FWIND2" windsurf foil, shortened the mast by 6", and rebranded it calling it their "Hover Glide FSurf/SUP" foil using the exact same "H2" wing. That's all fine, and dandy if you weigh "a buck fifty" or so, but for us "full-sized" fellas it's not enough surface area of wing to keep us aloft once you manage to get the dang thing in the air.

Wind, kite, and wake foils get additional energy from wind or machine to assist in their lift that we don't get in the surf, and why we need a bigger wing (if you're above ~165 lbs, or anticipate surfing in big stuff to learn on) compared to anything Slingshot has out at the moment (heard they're developing a larger wing, but no date of release yet) to grab whatever energy from the smaller swell energy that we're typically using them in...and why some of us got them in the first place.

This was my first wave riding, non-flying rig that was sold for.........

....my current rig....

Thanks to Wardog (SUP Sports) for the comparison pic of the original Go Foil Maliko (that the Iwa replaced size wise) and the Slingshot "Hover Glide FSurf/SUP" foil...

I went from frustrated, perturbed, and about to just give up completely, to a couple sessions later flying consistent days like this....

....and more in mushy SanO surf.

Just my thoughts, and personal experience hope they help.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 04:34:54 PM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2018, 04:39:10 PM »
Just my thoughts, and personal experience hope they help.
YES! thanx alot  Sano. Great reply w/tons of useful info. I had a feeling it was too good to be true. I didn't realize Slingshot was the company that you spoke of earlier in this post. I do remember you stating the facts about the rebranding.  You definitely get what you pay for and it's a beautiful foil.
  It must be an amazing feeling having the proper wing harnessing that hidden energy underneath the wave. Looks like the KeNalu 'Iwa775, plate mount, and V-Box for me!
  Any thoughts on plate mount/dual track vs tuttle box? I like the dual track system...I think.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 05:07:17 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2018, 06:21:36 PM »
It must be an amazing feeling having the proper wing harnessing that hidden energy underneath the wave.
Yes, quite an amazing feeling, and I know you'll love it once you get all the bugs worked out. My only suggestion is don't try to do it on the cheap like I did initially, thinking that if I didn't like it I wouldn't be out much. But I was almost out of the sport in frustration, and wasted a couple months of struggling with the wrong equipment, when I could have been flying, and super stoked so much sooner!

Looks like the KeNalu 'Iwa775, plate mount, and V-Box for me!
The Ke Nalu looks like a nice unit, has the size, and I can't wait to give it a try when my local rep gets his demo set all completed. All the videos of the test rides look like it's going to be (is) a performer...and I'd say that's a MUCH better choice than the Slingshot, even if it costs you a few more $$$.

Any thoughts on plate mount/dual track vs tuttle box? I like the dual track system...I think.
I can't really comment on the plate mount, other than I think it's rather expensive when I was deciding, and again...for a few more dollars, you can get an actual Tuttle box installed in your board, and not have the worries in the back of your mind while you're out that, "did I put it on correctly, and is it going to hold together as advertised?", with sharksupper's experience of losing a foil with one always coming to mind. Although Beasho and Sam blew out installed Tuttle boxes as well...so who knows? :(

As for the mast track system vs the Tuttle box ...pros, and cons, I've used both.
Mast track:
1. Adjustable placement which sounds good, but I found that in the beginning when I didn't get up, and fly right away...I was figuring it must be the mast placement, and kept moving it all over the track, basically giving me a new board/foil to fly each time, and it was like I was starting over again each time out.
2. If you have a Tuttle mount foil, you'll need an adaptor at another added cost ($125-$175), and you've just added 3" to your mast that can be good or bad depending on what you're looking for, and why.
3. You'll need (4) small T-nuts and screws to put on, and take off each session, and more importantly...to drop one of the T-nuts in the sand just before going out, and spending 15+ minutes sifting sand to find the friggin' thing before being able to go out..and I haven't been the only one to do this!  >:(
Tuttle Box
1. Single placement that doesn't let you "fine tune" your ride, but you'll also learn your board's pivot point(s) much faster, which in my experience, forced me to adjust to get things right, and not blame the board, foil (after getting the correct one), or the mast placement, which at least for myself sped up the learning curve.
2. With the Go Foils you're stuck with the 24" mast they comes with, and that's it (at least for now anyway). So you're again limited with setting up your foil for a different ride if you wanted to change something for whatever reason(s).
3. You'll just need (2) long screws to secure the foil to board, and getting the foil on and off is really quick and easy, and much easier to find should you inadvertently drop one (which I haven yet, because they are bigger for klutzy hands, and fumbling fingers).
4. If you do decide on a foil with a plate mount, they do make Tuttle adapters for those as well, but again you're looking at an added cost of that as mentioned above.

So I see pluses, and minuses with both, and it's just personal preference in what you're looking to do with your foil setup, or brand of foil you finally decide on.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2018, 06:51:42 PM »
Surfercook....skip the plastic junk stick on mount. You can pay a professional to install tracks right for about what they charge for that plastic mess.

Slingshot is cheap....the heaviest thing on the market. And there is a engineering flaw in the design. The mast and fuselage do not interlock. No mechanical strength to the joint. It relies solely on bolt strength. So they are prone to snapping off when you hit bottom. Gone forever.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2018, 07:52:58 PM »
Surfercook....skip the plastic junk stick on mount.
Diggin' the encouragement. This is gonna be a life changer! One of my very young very super stoked surfing buddies always says that after a great session. Hardly anyone here foils and my goal is to escape on the foil....taking a different direction will be nice. I love the quiet of it in everyones GoPro videos. Seems so peaceful and serene. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2018, 01:31:51 PM »
You'll be blown away cookie, especially since you already have shortboard chops. Most of the shortboarders I know who have taken it up get to full speed MUCH sooner. Opens up a whole new set of possibilities and you find yourself not really caring much about wave size. As long as I'm seeing something breaking, I'm good.

The only downside is that you pretty much need to stop surfing until you get the foil down pat, then you can do both, though most people I know (GP excepted) pretty much ditch surfing. You probably don't believe you will right now. Let us know how it goes after you've been doing it a while. I haven't surfed other than a few times at the very beginning since I started.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2018, 03:42:59 PM »
You'll be blown away cookie, especially since you already have shortboard chops.
The only downside is that you pretty much need to stop surfing until you get the foil down pat.
Nice! The Pono blessing!  :) I stated previously in an earlier post that when I commited to sup, summer 2012, I pretty much gave up pronin' for like 6 weeks. I said to myself I wouldn't get on one until I was stoked on my sup surfing. Hoping for the same game plan. The only problem I see ahead is the massive amounts of tourists that will be here soon. I will have to pick and choose my spots carefully. Check this video of Andrew Cassidy aka Australian Paddle Surfer. Some serious "I'll make you wanna foil" click bait! And he's using the same foil that I'm pulling the trigger on! I don't know what it is that draws me to the KeNalu Iwa775...probably because the graphics and overall build look so beautiful.
https://vimeo.com/273300597Royal Ke Nalu Airlines
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 04:34:32 PM by surfercook »

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2018, 04:01:41 PM »
That music is not inspiring at all  ::)   Don't you foilers miss smacking the lip on a regular SUP? It's that good ehh...

Looks like it's gonna be a slow summer here in SoCal. Might as well learn to fly. Ain't no lips to smack except for the Malibu barbies. Thanks for all the tips so far. I was gonna get in on the cheap at first but you guys have swayed in the right direction.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2018, 06:30:06 PM »
jondrums, PonoBill, SanoSup, Badger, supthecreek, surfcowboy, XLR8, windwakerider, Beasho, LM, opie, exiled, Dwight (DW), SaMoSUP

Stoked on all the interest and excitement as I enter into foil boarding. Would you guys post some foiling pics here (Of yourselves if possible)....THANX!

The Iwa775 w/plate mount is paid for and just waitin' on it now. I could have easily went w/Naish or GoFoil from a number of shops here. But when I saw that KeNalu I thought it would be super cool to get one here on Long Beach Island. 
I have feelings of great anticipation, caution, and patience as I keep thinking about what's going to go down for me. Baby steps!

That music is not inspiring at all.
Don't you foilers miss smacking the lip on a regular SUP? It's that good ehh...
Slow summer here in SoCal. Might as well learn to fly. I was gonna get in on the cheap at first but you guys have swayed in the right direction.

lol...I didn't listen to the music the first time. After reading your reply went in for a listen. There has to be inspiration for someone in that jam!
Smackin' lips definitely takes a great degree of commitment and concentration.
Do it...learn to fly! I showed my buddy a picture of my foil and he said it was rich boy status symbol crap. I was like...just wanna fly, dude.
Glad my topic was of help to someone besides myself. It's cool how now there are alot of advancements and options to foil. and the gear is so accessible too!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 06:57:07 PM by surfercook »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2018, 10:26:38 PM »
And he's using the same foil that I'm pulling the trigger on! I don't know what it is that draws me to the KeNalu Iwa775...probably because the graphics and overall build look so beautiful.
While I'm obviously loyal to the Go Foil after it changed my foiling almost immediately...I think the Ke Nalu is a great choice also from all the clips I've seen of it in use (would certainly like to bolt one to my board for a test ride when the opportunity presents itself...hint, hint capobeachboy!  ;) ;D)

jondrums, PonoBill, SanoSup, Badger, supthecreek, surfcowboy, XLR8, windwakerider, Beasho, LM, opie, exiled, Dwight (DW), SaMoSUP

Stoked on all the interest and excitement as I enter into foil boarding. Would you guys post some foiling pics here (Of yourselves if possible)....THANX!
Might have to breakdown, and buy that GoPro to go with my GoFoil after all, but until then, this is all I got for you from a shorter session today...

...of several in the 200+ yard length, and most in the 13-15 mph range. Check out the wave height number (1 foot)...needless to say I'm digging it, and ain't coming anywhere close to those numbers on a SUP no matter its size.  :o :)

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 10:29:04 PM by SanoSup »

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2018, 09:22:44 AM »
Thanx, Sano. That's alotta distance in some small surf. And 15mph is pretty fast for one footers, right? That Trace is an amazing device. So cool how it stacks stats! Maybe if and when I actually get this foiling thing somewhat wired I'll get one. The SOLOSHOT keeps me pretty busy though.
Hopped on my V-box today for the first time in months since that's going to be the flying machine of choice. Muscle memory was pretty rusty but seemed to come back pretty quickly.

Seriously thought I going down on this one. ALL my weight was on the paddle!
vlcsnap-2018-06-05-11h32m15s798 by surfercook, on Flickr

This one felt extra groovy. Glided right into it perf.
vlcsnap-2018-06-05-11h37m40s828 by surfercook, on Flickr

Lotta this going on! Wind picked up sideshore pretty quickly. Good practice for kickin' the board out from under me.
vlcsnap-2018-06-05-11h39m13s411 by surfercook, on Flickr
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 09:56:33 AM by surfercook »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2018, 09:41:55 AM »
Thanx, Sano. That's alotta distance in some small surf. And 15mph is pretty fast for one footers, right? That Trace is an amazing device. So cool how it stacks stats! Maybe if and when I actually get this foiling thing somewhat wired I'll get one.
For the most part one foot, but the couple 14-15s were definitely a little bigger than that, but not much. Btw, that's actually the data from my Rip Curl "SearchGPS" watch, and not a Trace. The watch has all I need, but with your GoPro, the Trace is nice that it's able to link up to that somehow, and put your stats right on the video footage you're taking, and may have a few more metrics that the SearchGPS does not...so might be a better option for you. Just saying...

The SOLOSHOT keeps me pretty busy though.
Hopped on my V-box today for the first time in months since that's going to be the fly boy of choice. Muscle memory was pretty rusty but seemed to come back pretty quickly.
Dang, now I gotta go investigate a SOLOSHOT now...I actually kind of like those from the beach shots more than the on the board/person ones. Hmm, decisions, decisions... :-\ :)

That was a pretty nice catch on your paddle in that one shot. It really is amazing just how much pressure you can exert on your paddle, and are able to recover on what otherwise would be an end of the ride fall. That's one of the things I try to explain to new SUPers about using the paddle to maintain balance even when just paddling around. Most new folks when they start losing their balance automatically want to stand up, and throw their hands in the the air for balance as if they're on dry land...the complete opposite what what they need to do out on the water on a board with paddle in hand.

Great pics...Thanks!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal