Author Topic: Need/Want foil sup  (Read 16097 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Re: Need/Want foil sup
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 08:30:56 PM »
Sorry if not appropriate, but can't help but advertise....I have a 9/10 condition Go Foil Maliko with soft case for sale, $950 plus shipping.
All options are being considered. Thanx for offering. I see the Maliko 200 is one of the larger wings available. Description says it is good in small surf.     https://gofoil.com/maliko-200/  The MALIKO 280 is even larger. which do you have, XLR?    https://gofoil.com/maliko-280/

surfercook, thanks for posting that safety video! Watched it and took out the Maliko 200 behind the boat and applied what they said about squaring your shoulders. Wow, made considerable advances today....Stoked!  :D
That's some good news. Very encouraging. I have water skied a bit years ago and was able to drop one ski a couple times then ride slalom for a while. Always felt amazing but mostly I would do two skis because it always took me a while to drop a ski. The couple time I tried wakeboarding I failed to even get up. But I rarely went. Guessin' it's pretty easy to get planing on a sup.

I'm so lame, should have one in the works at least by now. Just hesitant to spend all that money and find out I won't be able to do it. But I've no doubt that if any level of proficiency was ever achieved I'd be totally stoked on it. The waist high glassy rollers I was out in today woulda been perfect for beginning to learn the ways of a foil. There are a coupla foil demos near me this summer and hoping to get on board, no pun intended! Seems a foil that can have the wing sizes swapped out as the surf gets a bit larger would be best.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 06:11:56 AM »
Sorry if not appropriate, but can't help but advertise....I have a 9/10 condition Go Foil Maliko with soft case for sale, $950 plus shipping.
All options are being considered. Thanx for offering. I see the Maliko 200 is one of the larger wings available. Description says it is good in small surf.     https://gofoil.com/maliko-200/  The MALIKO 280 is even larger. which do you have, XLR?    https://gofoil.com/maliko-280/

I have the first generation of the Maliko, before the 200 and 280 came out.  It has a 32" wingspan.  It uses the same mast, fuselage and rear wing as the newer Malikos, I believe.  I got it last fall eager to get into foiling.  I am 6'2 225lbs without full neoprene and live in the Great Lakes.  I want the Maliko 280.  I can tow foil fine on my rig and can get up and flying in the surf break, but I was more interested in foiling as a downwind thing and with the 280 now available I think that is the size for me, at my size.
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 08:05:00 PM »
I can't help but think this would be a perfect wave to learn sup foiling on, minus the log jam of course! The boyz of summer have arrived at my local!
vlcsnap-2018-05-23-21h05m50s061 by surfercook, on Flickr

vlcsnap-2018-05-23-21h07m56s769 by surfercook, on Flickr

vlcsnap-2018-05-23-21h18m51s017 by surfercook, on Flickr

vlcsnap-2018-05-23-21h24m18s607 by surfercook
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 07:03:32 AM »
I can't help but think this would be a perfect wave to learn sup foiling on, minus the log jam of course! The boyz of summer have arrived at my local!

Yes those are perfect waves. 

I weigh 185 and the the combo of IWA and Maliko 200 are an ideal starter pack.  Kai Foil is too small to start.  After 1,600 waves I am not sure when I would use the Kai unless I started into laydown foil surfing (Maybe, maybe never), or in really big waves 12+ feet.

With foiling you just have to make the leap.  Demo'ing is hard because it is the first 3 sessions where you are most likely to hurt yourself, your gear or someone else.  By session #5 you HAVE IT!!!!

I will say it again: FOILING IS EASY.

I am an advocate of starting with an old, short board.  My 8' 2" L41 was a perfect learning board.  Haley Fiske has surfed his retrofitted 9' 2" Short SUP on a foil for a full year.  I think that's a bit too long BUT the bigger boards I learned are better in BIGGER waves because they keep all the oscillations to a minimum.  They just don't pump as well, but that comes much later.  Retrofitting all you pay for is the Tuttle, the foil and some installation (call it Tuttle + $200).  Or do it yourself with Gorilla Glue and laminate. 

It was Jeff Clark who said to me "Life is short you have to do it!"  He is a little nuts but not always nuts.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:07:37 AM by Beasho »

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 07:12:30 AM »
With foiling you just have to make the leap.  Demo'ing is hard because it is the first 3 sessions where you are most likely to hurt yourself, your gear or someone else.  By session #5 you HAVE IT!!!! After 1,600 waves I am not sure when I would use the Kai unless I started into laydown foil surfing
It was Jeff Clark who said to me "Life is short you have to do it!"  He is a little nuts but not always nuts.
Thanx for the words of encouragement. 1,600 waves! I'm not doubting that even a little knowing your aptitude for statistics. I am tending to agree w/the whole demo thing. You have to put your time in to learn just about anything proper. And life is too short. I guess if I fail at the foil I can always try and unload it. The more I mull this whole foil biz over the more i'm leaning toward mounting the V-Box. It's a pretty stable board and catches waves real easy for me. Does the entire mast/wing structure adds even more stability while your paddling it?
Guessing waves like these are much more difficult to foil in. Lotta speed and power that day at our point break. Some of the best conditions ever for Vee.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:28:03 AM by surfercook »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 10:32:17 AM »
Guessing waves like these are much more difficult to foil in. Lotta speed and power that day at our point break.

YES!  Those waves give me the willies from a foil perspective.  Even a 6 foot thumper could probably rip out the foil.  You'll want NOTHING to do with the power zone of the wave. 

The good news is you look at breaks and spots with a whole new perspective.  Go and hunt for the shoulder.  Catch waves that aren't even breaking and run 200 yards down the line from where everyone else is surfing.  NO hate because NO ONE IS SURFING THERE.

And yes the foil adds 1) Stability and 2) Float (if you are with GoFoil).   Your board should be perfect for learning.  All you are trying to do is get to the next 6 month point.

I am at the end of my 1st year and on my 3rd foil board.  Maybe you don't want to hear that but I did learn a great deal on my modified L41 8' 2" x 32" x 139 liter board. 

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 10:34:04 AM by Beasho »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 11:21:00 AM »
This cannot be stated strongly enough, of often enough....
I weigh 185 and the the combo of IWA and Maliko 200 are an ideal starter pack.

....if you ever want to actually realize this....
By session #5 you HAVE IT!!!!

...or to be able to say this....

Because "I will say it again": Without the right sized wing for your weight, and conditions, you're just in for a bunch of futile efforts, frustration, and thinking the sport is just not for you.

I spent half a dozen or more sessions on a windsurf foil that the manufacturer lazily rebranded as a surf/sup foil that had so little surface area that it might have lifted, and held a sub 150 lb. SUPer, but it sure as hell wasn't going to fly anyone at or above the 175-180 lb size.

Once I got the Iwa/M200 combo, things were as Beasho states...foiling became EASY, and it was/is just a matter of learning how to control all of the new lift I'm getting. So, so much easier than trying to get a mini foil to lift an aircraft carrier. =)

Great the right equipment right off the bat, and have fun!!
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 03:24:11 PM »
Some stokin comments you guys. It seems that the larger foils that go foil and Naish produce are no-brainers for entry-level foiling on a sup. That Asian fellow in the surf shop even said it that a kite foil is just too dangerous and scary to put on a sup. But I might be forced to learn how to do it in the surf because I really don't have anybody to tow me behind a boat.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 03:49:25 PM »
But I might be forced to learn how to do it in the surf because I really don't have anybody to tow me behind a boat.

NO Problem! 

In the mellow wave example above you will NOT need a boat.  Just get the right gear, aka big proven foil as SanoSup suggested, and learn in the surf.  The surf is the only place where things go from zero to 10 mph with total variability every time.  The boat is less realistic because you are up and flying at a constant speed.

Fly nose down at first.  Don't even think about popping the nose up.  Then slowly modulate.  Even your attempts at doing this slowly will be violent at first until you get the finer foot control down.  BUT this may only take 3 session to figure out.   

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2018, 09:21:05 PM »
Thanx, Beasho. It's funny, me and Tom (user name here on the forum Tom) were speaking of you when I met him in San Diego during my Feb 2016 trip. I was actually tossing the idea around of driving up to Half Moon to witness it, but only made it as far north as Oceanside.
But back on track it's been a rough year for me w/the kidney wipe in December and then my last wisdom tooth extraction on 4/4 that went south on 4/18 when the mandible blew out. It's slowly healing and still pretty tender and I really don't wanna try launching a foil just yet. It's been kinda scary sup surfing and I've been extra cautious in the waves. Especially when there's been some size and power. I'm still reluctant to prone surf a regular board but soon. almost ready. I probably shoulda mentioned it earlier. But everyone who posted here and the other foil topics have been super cool and helpful. I really had it in my mindset to just get the foil and "try" it cold. But after watching that HI Watermen safety video I realized it was alot harder and more involved than anticipated. I'm thinking a 2mil long sleeve top at least if not an impact vest for some feeling of protection.
 I did learn a great deal on my modified L41 8' 2" x 32" x 139 liter board. That's a pretty fat board. Vee is only 117 ltrs, but for my weight at around 180 it's pretty stable, but only 29-1/2" wide.
That GoFoil surf pkg looks amazing. Good call, Sano.
Thought this instagram post by Blane Chambers was cool. He's super dialed into foiling now for sure. That foil mount looks bullet proof!

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 09:33:36 PM by surfercook »

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2018, 08:52:25 PM »
Well I still haven't moved forward for foiling. After a bunch of yard cleanups landscaping my right hip is NOT pain free. Did 20-32gln cans of pine needles in two days last week. I had to take it easy last coupla days and move slowly. I can honestly say the 60 is definitely not the new 40! But I'm optimistic it will strengthen.
I did manage to score a new Ripper though. Check it out. I've been on the Bamboo Wide for quite a few yrs now and love it. Saw this one on Craig's for 350 and offered 300...SOLD. New deck padding and nice set of Gerry Lopez quad fins by Future. I messaged Bane Chambers on facebook w/a link to the ad...he was stoked on it. Replied w/the details on it. He's been on my fb since 2012 when I scored my first Ripper.
"Fun board!  Hull Ripper. Paddles nice and can rip turns. There weren’t many made with the black stripe.   Can ride bigger waves too"
I remember when there were a couple in the shop here. Cool boards. Have a feeling it's gonna be a bit faster than the Bamboo Ripper. Quite a bit of gel coat chipping from the paddle. I'd like to put some rail tape over it to protect it from further damage. Never taped up a board b4.

9'11" Hull Ripper (Cross posted in gear)
20180528_144730 by surfercook, on Flickr

20180528_144707 by surfercook, on Flickr

20180528_144655 by surfercook, on Flickr

Quite a bit of gel coat chipping from the paddle
20180528_144818 by surfercook, on Flickr

« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:54:24 PM by surfercook »

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2018, 12:24:09 AM »
It seems many Zoners still aren't aware...so another blatant advertising post (I ran a Zone special that many took advantage of). Our next shipment should arrive in about a week. So far our combo set with a 580 & 775 wing is the hottest seller.

These foils were designed as dedicated SUP/surf foils, not adapted from something else. There's also a 970 dedicated downwinder foil (or the tiniest of ankle slapper waves; it's a BIG wing) in testing now. The 580/775 wings compare in size to Go Foils Kai & 'Iwa wings, I think ours are slightly larger. The 970 would be somewhere in between a Maliko 200 & 280.

Here's the wing stats:

580- 235mm x 580mm – 1084cm2 aspect ratio 3.33 (best for smaller riders (up to 165lbs in small to medium surf or riders up to 200 lbs in larger surf)

775- 250mm x 775mm- 1496cm2 aspect ratio 4.14 (this is the go to size for most in smaller surf & has proven to work well for riders 200+ lbs)

970- 265mm x 970mm – 1994cm2 aspect ratio 4.88 (should perform well for most in downwinder conditions)

We've been getting some great reviews so far, here's a couple:

"Wow your foil is such a fun foil to fly on. I have a ##### foil and have riden ####### and ###### foils, am expecting to try out a friends ########### foil and so far am really impressed by the KeNalu foil. From first impressions just holding it how light it is compared to the #####. To the solid cunstruction and not feeling as flimsy as the ######. To flying and it not wiggling. Very impressed! Flies like a dream!"

After writing this he pre-purchased a combo set.

"Rode the 775 wing today. It went unreal! Great lift and super stable. Hardly had to pump at all and only fell off once (in 12 waves) when I was being silly. Didn't breech a single time. Wooooo.”

"On a wave, it lifts straight up, instead of wanting to pitch up as you go faster. You nailed the elevator (stabilizer) angle. I liked the elevator in the forward position because it made the foil less stable and more willing to turn. With the elevator forwards, it turned like a much smaller foil than it was, turning felt comparable to the ###### ###. It really likes to sit at the top of the wave and ride it like birds ride slope lift. When riding like that, it felt super efficient. Airs also felt pretty good and landing back in the water was controllable. It is definitely in my top 3 foils."

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2018, 04:53:54 AM »
I suggest avoiding anything with an aluminum mast for supping.  I've bent three Takuma/Naish mast since August.   That Ke Nalu looks nice.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2018, 06:05:11 AM »
LM- Those are gorgeous foils! Beautiful graphics. And that's not even close to blatant advertising. You are trying to.provide a much needed product to surfers interested in foiling.
I will follow up with an inquiry regarding more details soon. If I can just get out of my health issues sooner than later that would really help!

I suggest avoiding anything with an aluminum mast for supping.  I've bent three Takuma/Naish mast since August.   That Ke Nalu looks nice.
gtk...what are the KeNalu masts constructed of?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 06:53:22 AM by surfercook »

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2018, 06:48:24 AM »
LM- Those are gorgeous foils! Beautiful graphics.  And  that's not even close to blatant advertising. You are trying to.provide a much needed product to surfers interested in foiling.
I will follow up with an inquiry regarding more details soon. If I can just get out of my health issues sooner thn later that would really help!

gtk...what are the KeNalu masts constructed of?

Thanks. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Our masts are pre preg. carbon

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal