Author Topic: Need/Want foil sup  (Read 16095 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Need/Want foil sup
« on: March 21, 2018, 11:30:06 AM »
I seriously know nothing about foils and the boards that work for em. But for some reason think my V-box is a perfect candidate to have one mounted. I've seen one too many sup foil vids at this point and am starting to get serious about scoring one. Need info and help please, zoners. I'm hoping I could have a foil mounted that is removable so I could ride Vee as a regular sup when needed. Island surf and Sail here on LBI has some Naish foils and the owner has done a few mounts on the Raptor already.
Guess I better start spending some more time in this category.  8)
tyia
surfercook/Marc

My V-Box-

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Re: Need/Want foil sup
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 08:49:13 PM »
Well this foil safety video makes alot of sense. I think it's a longer road than anticipated learning foil. Safety protocols and risk management in place is priority. Those things look deadly! I like how one guy makes a point of foiling in onshore and sideshore winds when the regular surfers don't really wanna ride.
   Leash use is a hot topic. the one dude on a tiny prone foil rides forever w/out a leash and is in total control. Decent video but it's long.

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 07:33:40 PM »
seems like a great candidate for a foil board to me.  Short and lightweight

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 08:23:08 PM »
seems like a great candidate for a foil board to me.  Short and lightweight
Cool! I was hoping someone would help! I thought the same, assuming you're talking about my V-Box and not the Raptor. After watching the safety video I see alot of the guys are using short wide boards like the Raptor for foiling. I rode a 7'0' Raptor other sup surfer at my local rides. It's def a cool board.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 08:39:52 PM »
1. Anything will work to start, but once you're doing it you'll probably want something designed to foil. My Kalama board is so much better than other foil boards I've ridden. I didn't think it would matter, but it does.

2. If you're actually going to learn you have to commit. Going back and forth between surfing and foiling didn't work at all for me. Sufing screwed up my foiling and foiling screwed up my surfing. I think once you have a reasonable amount of time on the foil you can switch back and forth, but not at first. I haven't surfed since the third day I tried foiling.

3. Watch the safety videos, watch all the Sam Pae videos. Remember if things start going sideways bail off the back. Don't try to save the board like you would a surfboard. You're not on a board, you're on a foil. If you lean on up rail to stop the board from tipping the foil will get lift on that side and tip worse quickly. You'll jacknife and fall on the foil. Don't do that.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 09:09:51 PM »
If you're actually going to learn you have to commit. Going back and forth between surfing and foiling didn't work at all for me.
Thanx for the advice. When I committed to sup in summer 2012 I didn't ride a prone board for like 6 weeks. I like watchin' Aussie Paddle Surfer on Vimeo. He switches back 'n forth between sup and foil alot. He's got a wipeout clip in the Hawaiian waterman safety video. That foil scares the crap outa me. My brother says they are bad news and won't even consider doing it. He's 7yrs younger than me and still rides a shrtbrd alot.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 11:05:59 PM »
Shortboarders seem to have an easier time learning. Don't tell him that.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 09:41:39 AM »
So I'm guessing this Naish foil sup doesn't come w/the foil. Seems easier to just buy a dedicated foil sup than do a mount. No way I have the skills (or tools  :P) to mount a tuttle box. Price-eee!
http://www.californiakiteboarding.com/product/2018-naish-hover-120-sup-foilboard/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwuYTYBRDsARIsAJnrUXCKuKMQYY9ITHfm4Q-YIxRpecmSpMzTnHzp5FObkONAiEF5PwaP_OAaAsVJEALw_wcB

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 09:26:00 PM »
Take a look at Axis foils..... everyone I talked to, said the lift was much smoother and controlled compared to other foils.

http://www.axiskiteboarding.com/products/foilboard-2/

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 10:18:13 AM »
Take a look at Axis foils..... everyone I talked to, said the lift was much smoother and controlled compared to other foils.

http://www.axiskiteboarding.com/products/foilboard-2/
My only concern is that I don't see a "SUP" version of their wings...IOWs their wings seem too small for even the average sized SUPer, much less us in the 200+ club.

IMO, Slingshot did us dirty by simply taking their "Hover Glide FWIND2" windsurf foil, shortened the mast by 6", and rebranded it calling it their "Hover Glide FSurf/SUP" foil using the exact same "H2" wing. That's all fine, and dandy if you weigh "a buck fifty" or so, but for us "full-sized" fellas it's not enough surface area of wing to keep us aloft once you manage to get the dang thing in the air.

The Takuma foils were similar in taking their kite, wake, and windsurf foils, and throwing up a new "SUP" section on their website, and they're off to the races in a new foil category (they just came out with a much larger "Downwind Version" with multiple larger wing choices). Only positive they had is that their previous foil wings had a bit more surface area than the Slingshot wings, and thus they were a little better when mounted on a small SUP....but still nowhere near the Go Foil Iwa, or even the Naish Thrust Surf "L" version.

My suggestion to those that "Need/Want foil sup", is that if you're at or over 180ish or so...first focus on getting the right sized foil underneath you, and then go about thinking about looking for the board to mount it on (old or new).

Having struggled, and beating myself up both physically and mentally with two different earlier foils that were just too small, and then finally getting on an Iwa and M2000 that transformed almost instantly my abilities, and true addiction to the sport I've been through the wrong equipment frustrations, and have witnessed 

All I can say is that it's like the old "pay me now or pay me later" Fram commercial...because I tried to get into the sport on the cheap, "just in case I didn't like it", and all that did was delay my learning, and almost had me quitting in frustration thinking I was doing something wrong, and just couldn't figure out why I just couldn't fly the dang things.

It wasn't until a couple fairly experienced" guys showed me the wings they were flying, and the size differences, did it finally sink in that I just needed to spend the money, and get the right equipment for the job. That being SUP foiling that's unaided in lift compared to other foil sports that use a kite, sail, or boat to help them fly, and stay aloft.

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 03:32:54 PM »
IMO, trying to retrofit a foil into a board that's designed for surfing would just make learning to foil more difficult.

The best board/foil design I've seen so far is the Blue Planet Easy Foiler.

If I had the money, that's what I would get.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 03:51:26 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 04:45:13 PM »
"I don't see a "SUP" version of their wings"
Sano- I noticed that also.

IMO, trying to retrofit a foil into a board that's designed for surfing would just make learning to foil more difficult.The best board/foil design I've seen so far is the Blue Planet Easy Foiler.
I was wondering about that. But it seems the V-Box would be a perfect fit.

I've been costing out foils and installs. $1200 for a Naish sup foil installed on my V-Box  from a local surf shop. It's a dual track mount as opposed to the Tuttle box.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 08:34:16 PM »
I'm pretty sure the Axis website isn't up to date. Those foils don't look like surf foils unless we are now finding out that GoFoil and Naish have scammed us and there's no reason to not just use foils cut out of sheet G10.

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 09:14:22 AM »
Sorry if not appropriate, but can't help but advertise....I have a 9/10 condition Go Foil Maliko with soft case for sale, $950 plus shipping.
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 10:54:34 AM »
surfercook, thanks for posting that safety video! Watched it and took out the Maliko 200 behind the boat and applied what they said about squaring your shoulders. Wow, made considerable advances today....Stoked!  :D

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal