Author Topic: Thinking about a Race Board, what should I get?  (Read 22572 times)

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thinking about a Race Board, what should I get?
« on: March 17, 2018, 05:40:02 PM »
I may have posted this before, but I'm pondering getting a race board just for one more option to get on the water. I'm in an area (Charleston, SC) that has a pretty solid racing scene, and I could see maybe doing some comps later on just for fun.

I'm not looking to downwind, if it's windy, I'm kiting, if there's surf, I'm SUS, this will take a backseat to those 2 disciplines.

Some background info:
Weight: around 175 lbs
I'm getting more comfortable on lower volume boards, I'm down to 112L right now (8'8" SuperTech) and will probably move down more soon, so I could stand to go pretty skinny.

I have a creek that at +/- 2 hours of high tide I can get out on from my backyard, but I'm also thinking about storage issues if I go with a 14' board my garage walls are full of boards (I have 3 SUP already and 2 kiteboards). So, any ideas regarding exterior storage (not worried about someone stealing it, just want to protect it).

I'd also probably have to get either a new shaft for my backup paddle (KeNalu Ho'oloa 95) to make it longer, as it's cut right now to head high.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

supthecreek

Re: Thinking about a Race Board, what should I get?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 06:11:37 PM »
Hi APPST,
If you want to do a head to head comparison and demo lots of boards, take a trip up to Wilmington for the Carolina Cup.
Many brands there, on the intercoastal side beach, with reps to talk to and boards to paddle.
Really fun event, awesome SUP community to mix it up with.

Here's a link to the event and info.
I may be able to hook you up with a great Air B&B... owned by a great guy, surfer, Paddler. 4 miles from the race venue.

Stop by the Sunova tent, meet James Casey and the crew.
I may be there as well... at least the 1st 2 days, come say hi!

http://wrightsvillebeachpaddleclub.com/carolina-cup/

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 07:04:18 PM »
Hi APPST,
If you want to do a head to head comparison and demo lots of boards, take a trip up to Wilmington for the Carolina Cup.
Many brands there, on the intercoastal side beach, with reps to talk to and boards to paddle.
Really fun event, awesome SUP community to mix it up with.

Here's a link to the event and info.
I may be able to hook you up with a great Air B&B... owned by a great guy, surfer, Paddler. 4 miles from the race venue.

Stop by the Sunova tent, meet James Casey and the crew.
I may be there as well... at least the 1st 2 days, come say hi!

http://wrightsvillebeachpaddleclub.com/carolina-cup/

Yeah, I was going last year and work got in the way. I'm from Wilmington originally and my parents live there, so it's an easy trip. I'll probably do that, good idea.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 01:44:28 AM »
Why not a good race 14ft inflatable ? No storage issues and some of the race offerings from Red or starboard are surprisingly competitive.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 09:06:46 AM »
Why not a good race 14ft inflatable ? No storage issues and some of the race offerings from Red or starboard are surprisingly competitive.
Or you could just fill your underpants with stinging nettles before you go paddling. The effect would be the same. :)

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 11:17:01 AM »
If you have no worries about storing a board outside, then you could build or buy a free standing rack with a roof/overhang/lean-to for shade and protection, or attach a rack to the outside of you garage. I would much rather have a composite board over an inflatable if you have room for storage. 

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 04:58:05 PM »
Yeah, I think I have room in my garage now, there's roughly 15' by about 3' of space at the bottom of the wall.

Not doing an inflatable, that just sounds like a nightmare maneuvering through oyster beds. I'm going to try out a 14' BIC Tracer from a local here at some point.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 02:14:59 AM »
Or you could just fill your underpants with stinging nettles before you go paddling. The effect would be the same. :)

(now that made me roar with laughter out loud)

singingdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 03:49:30 AM »
I'm going to try out a 14' BIC Tracer from a local here at some point.

The Tracers are nice boards. BIG difference between the Tracer and the Tracer WC. If you want to race, go straight to the WC.

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 05:14:21 AM »
Good idea to go to Carolina Cup. You may or may not get a chance to test the top race boards. It depends on who/ what shows up and you never really know. However, it is worthwhile for whatever change you have, which is rare. You can learn a lot at the race by watching other racers. Look at what they are riding and ask a lot of questions. They may let you test their boards if you ask nicely. You will see many of the current top race brands. Starboard, SIC, Infinity, 404, NSP, etc.  I don’t rank BIC. At your size and balance, I think you could handle a 24 to 25 inch wide 14 footer with no problem. Just be careful which shape you select, as some are more stable than others. The higher probability is that you may end up selecting a board that you may not have had a chance to ride.  For that. There is no better source of great free unbiased advice than the Zone. So asking here is very smart. If I was about to purchase a new race board, I would consider SIC RS, Infinity Blackfish and Starboard Allstar.
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 05:18:13 AM »
Good idea to go to Carolina Cup. You may or may not get a chance to test the top race boards. It depends on who/ what shows up and you never really know. However, it is worthwhile for whatever change you have, which is rare. You can learn a lot at the race by watching other racers. Look at what they are riding and ask a lot of questions. They may let you test their boards if you ask nicely. You will see many of the current top race brands. Starboard, SIC, Infinity, 404, NSP, etc.  I don’t rank BIC. At your size and balance, I think you could handle a 24 to 25 inch wide 14 footer with no problem. Just be careful which shape you select, as some are more stable than others. The higher probability is that you may end up selecting a board that you may not have had a chance to ride.  For that. There is no better source of great free unbiased advice than the Zone. So asking here is very smart. If I was about to purchase a new race board, I would consider SIC RS, Infinity Blackfish and Starboard Allstar.

Yeah, good points all around, I've gone through quite a few SUP surf boards because of the lack of being able to try them out. I will definitely try out a race board before purchasing. Pretty sure I'm going to try out this SIC 14' locally at some point in the near future, the guy who has it sold me a SUP surfboard and is pretty active on the racing/SUP scene around here and isn't going to mislead me, so I'll probably be diving into this shortly.

I may still try and make the CC, depends on work schedules.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 06:32:59 AM »
If I was about to purchase a new race board, I would consider SIC RS, Infinity Blackfish and Starboard Allstar.
Yes, those are the options I'd consider too. The Naish Maliko is also pretty good, especially for beach-type races. It would be worth trying the brand new model Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder that has just come out, too. I bought the SIC RS and rate it highly, so I'm obviously biased. But they are all nice boards, and it depends a lot on personal taste and the type of race events you will be doing, and the conditions you'll be paddling in. I find that the different brands develop distinct handling characteristics. This tends to reflect the particular design philosophies of the shapers/designers (and their sponsored riders). For instance, Travis Grant quite likes the feeling of a fairly rounded hull with very soft rails. So the NSP race board designs tend to have this feature. This can IMO make them slippery through the water, but also tends to give a little bit more initial roll than designs with flat bottoms and harder rails. So it largely depends on whether what you like fits with that brand's characteristics - and no-one can decide that for you.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 08:39:39 AM »
^ yep

Take note that A10, who was a staunch defender of displacement (cutting) bows for flat water, has just recently admitted his allwater nose RS is acceptable on flats too.

If ever you find yourself in choppy waters, or ever do a race, you will find an allwater nose more friendly. Hence the name.

So I'd advise getting a modern allwater board.

Ask around at Carolina cup. I expect you'd hear the same things.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:14:46 AM by yugi »

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 10:00:20 AM »
^ yep

Take note that A10, who was a staunch defender of displacement (cutting) bows for flat water, has just recently admitted his allwater nose RS is acceptable on flats too.

If ever you find yourself in choppy waters, or ever do a race, you will find an allwater nose more friendly. Hence the name.

So I'd advise getting a modern allwater board.

Ask around at Carolina cup. I expect you'd hear the same things.

I would say (and with no brand affiliations on my part) that you could do far worse than getting a Starboard allstar. It has a confidence inspiring design and one of the best amount of secondhand resale. I'll also say i was sponsored by naish last year and that years maliko was very good in an array of water conditions. It wasn't that great in the flat but you could use it anywhere without problems.

warmuth

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 10:34:51 AM »
  If it’s “just for fun” and “might enter a few events” then just pick up whatever meets your budget and you like the looks of. Paddle it to make sure it feels ok under your feet which it probably will given it’s not too narrow. No matter what board you buy now, you’ll either cruise around on it, which almost every reputable race board is good at, and be happy or get into racing and replace it anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal