Author Topic: Thinking about a Race Board, what should I get?  (Read 22834 times)

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about a Race Board, what should I get?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 11:31:31 AM »
Be sure to check the retail prices of the 2018 boards in carbon construction:
SIC RS $2,699
Infinity blackfish $2,995
Naish Maliko $3,299
Starboard Allstar  $3,799  (Hybrid construction $2,499)

2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 11:35:47 AM »
Pretty much any modern all water race board will go plenty fast depending on your skill and power level.  Narrower is often more efficient for paddlers with good technique and balance -> but can be terrible if balance is a problem.  So really is dependent on the rider what suits that person best. 

Definitely try as many boards as you can otherwise expect to swap for something else down the road.  Just look at this forum for examples where paddlers have switched from board to board to board -> sometimes within the same year.

Can concur with ukgm that the AS is a good AW design as have been paddling mine for a year and a half now.  The 24.5 or 25 is a good width that many race on.  If possible get one used to keep costs down.  They sell pretty quick round here.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 11:45:30 AM »
Pretty much any modern all water race board will go plenty fast depending on your skill and power level.  Narrower is often more efficient for paddlers with good technique and balance -> but can be terrible if balance is a problem.  So really is dependent on the rider what suits that person best. 

Definitely try as many boards as you can otherwise expect to swap for something else down the road.  Just look at this forum for examples where paddlers have switched from board to board to board -> sometimes within the same year.

Can concur with ukgm that the AS is a good AW design as have been paddling mine for a year and a half now.  The 24.5 or 25 is a good width that many race on.  If possible get one used to keep costs down.  They sell pretty quick round here.

Yeah, that's the plan, used 14' board and maybe add some length back to my Ke'Nalu Ho'oloa 95 (it's at head level right now).

I fully understand the progression on boards (I've switched SUP surf boards twice in the same year).
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 02:28:12 PM »
Do remember when I first started out and my 27.5 Dom felt unstable in chop.  Then dropped down to a 25 Sprint and Race to test.  Then 23 and even 21.5 to test.  Found for my purposes the 23 provided the most enjoyment overall.  But many here seem to dislike the tippy feel -> whereas I find that really improves my balance and proprioception.  The secondary stability is surprisingly good on the 23.

But as always -> everyone is different and everyone has their own ideas what suits them best.  If in no hurry just keep your eye out.  Pretty sure if your friend is a racer -> you should find a good deal on a good board.  That is how we got ours.  Was less than 50% off retail with no tax.

Just got back in after 2 miles up and 2 miles down.  More fun today than ever before in small chop.  Mainly because I am pretty relaxed now and pretty much always stay dry on that board.  Have had some little trip ups on surprise waves.  But have stayed dry.  For me that is key -> as falling in is not fun in our coldish waters.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 02:30:39 PM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 04:34:20 AM »
Definitely get a 14'

If the secondhand market in SC is anything like it is in FL, there should be a glut of cheap used raceboards to choose from on Craigslist, on the used racks in the local shops, facebook SUP groups, etc. I would get one of those "price is right" models ASAP to start getting some race practice under your belt, and then develop a better idea of what you like/dislike in a raceboard before you think about spending more money on a special model. Bic Tracer would be a fine choice.

Enjoy!
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 09:05:47 AM »
If you want a used board then also take a look at Distressed Mullet Classifieds.
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 02:38:48 PM »
Here is an example of a somewhat narrow race board on CL.  Stuff like this comes and goes all the time.  Probs if in the market for something like this would at least check it out on a test ride.
Fast is FUN!   8)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 04:20:39 PM »
It's an odd thing, but you may actually fall less on a tippy board than a stable one. My Bullet 17 V2 is wide and stable. The last downwinder I did with it I fell three times in 8 miles. My 12'2" X 25 KuNalu is very unstable and has little secondary stability because it's thin with rounded rails. Last time I did a downwinder with it I didn't fall at all. I think it's attention--I can think of other things on the V2, I can't on the KuNalu. The only relevance here is that you shouldn't be put off by how narrow a board is before you've tried it, and it takes more than ten minutes to know.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 06:48:49 PM »
Yeah when am on the 23 stay fully focussed and in the moment second to second in waves.  Full on concentration which is kinda fun and relaxing for me.  Whereas on my other less tippy boards my technique slides and gets sloppy as my mind wanders and thinks how boring and uninspiring this is. 

Also at 23 my paddle stays vertical easy whereas on anything wider it skews off to the side.  Really makes a big impact for me.  My 23 does also roll a lot but sets just enough on its chine giving you a split second to correct.  Without would continue to go around like the infamous discontinued Race 25 log.
Fast is FUN!   8)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 01:47:01 AM »
Yeah when am on the 23 stay fully focussed and in the moment second to second in waves.  Full on concentration which is kinda fun and relaxing for me.  Whereas on my other less tippy boards my technique slides and gets sloppy as my mind wanders and thinks how boring and uninspiring this is.

That sounds like too much like hard work ! That kind of distraction you don't need in a race when you should be focusing on tactical decisionmaking and control of your effort, not having to concentrate on the board itself.

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 05:11:53 AM »
Many racers sell their prior season board in the spring and bring them to Carolina Cup to allow buyers to test and buy conveniently. Several nice examples on Distressed Mullet right now!! 
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 07:05:54 AM »
Haha!  Yeah never bought the 23 to race.  Simply for pleasure and to improve my balance.  In that regards it has exceeded my expectations.  By a large margin.  While not as efficient as the Sprint 21.5 -> is much better in waves.  If we lived in a flat lake environment would be paddling that Sprint or something like it. 

Have no allegiance or preference to Starboard.  Just that brand distributes from here and is readily available on the used market.
Fast is FUN!   8)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2018, 03:45:15 AM »
Many racers sell their prior season board in the spring and bring them to Carolina Cup to allow buyers to test and buy conveniently. Several nice examples on Distressed Mullet right now!!

You can grab that Naish Javelin 2016 14 x 26 without trying. If it isn't dinged.

It's fast, stable and light. Will always sell easily.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2018, 04:20:08 AM »

You can grab that Naish Javelin 2016 14 x 26 without trying. If it isn't dinged.

It's fast, stable and light. Will always sell easily.
Yeah that would do it. You also might find a used SIC X14-Pro now that the RS has superseded it. Fast board, and although it is intended to be flat water oriented it works in a variety of conditions.

Definitely buy used if you can, until you know exactly what suits you.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2018, 09:35:31 AM »
Here are a couple more boards just posted -> one more for chop and one more for flat.  If familiar with progression ending up with either of the boards in the pic -> would be fine depending on your skill level achieved and what conditions you plan to race in.

As you can see -> there is a big cut in cost from MSRP.  Makes it that you can buy one of these and sell after a year without much if any depreciation.  That is how many in Van buy as the used market has top quality boards often sold at big discounts.  Just need to be patient and willing to take what becomes available.  That is a huge benefit we have in Van.  Buying like this makes SUP race progression much more palatable.  Sometimes you can even get exactly what you want.

All my boards were bought like this.  Ranging from 40% off -> all the way to 70% off MSRP with no tax.  Paddles fins board bags as well.  All in maybe $20K+ for way under 10.  So it is possible and makes sense like others have noted.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest