Author Topic: Price to surf Slater's Ranch.....  (Read 7795 times)

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Price to surf Slater's Ranch.....
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 12:52:04 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong (and with all due respect) I don't think the flat screen tv analogy applies here at all. Most of the initial cost of the tvs was to recover costs for R&D and setting up the manufacturing infrastructure to make them. Once that was out of the way the actual tv's are probably pretty cheap to make. I can't see anything like that with these wave pools. Real estate is real estate- it ain't cheap and isn't going to become cheap in say Chicago just because 2 or 3 or 4 other cities have wave pools. Same with the actual construction of each successive pool. There is no economy of scale here. Each one costs what it costs- to build and to run. Furthermore, the market for flat screen hi def tv's was always going to be in the 10's if not 100's of millions. Not so with a wave pool, especially if you are running only 12 people through per hour. This thing is a gimmick. Do not expect one to show up at a town near you. I expect to see this one silently growing algae like the Chernobyl cooling pond before too long. That's just me though.
Bunch of old shit

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 01:23:01 PM »
According to this, 12 waves per hour, 6 lefts and 6 rights.

Thats like a 300 second wave period...
LOL, true that, but if I get 12 really good wave per hour during a normal surf sesh, that's a pretty well filled in session for me, I might even come in saying "it was epic out there", as I was trying to catch my breath.

But would I pay for that, nope, and would I have that wave pool all to myself to get all the waves, probably not.
It takes a quiver to do that.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 01:37:13 PM »
You make a great point AP, but the flat-screen analogy while not perfect still has some merrit. 

Just one example, you could double the thru-put by simply doubling the wave count.   One wave every 150 seconds might not be unattainable for this pool but it will be for the next.  And, if the current model, limited by one wave every 300 seconds works (economically) at $10k, a pool with greateer frequency will clearly work at a lesser amount. 

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 04:49:49 PM »
We'll see how his new wave pool in Florida, "2.0" as he likes to call it, will turn out.
It's supposed to be an improvement, but to what extent is still to be seen.
One of many links~
https://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/13975-kelly-slaters-surf-ranch-florida-to-open-2019-in-palm-beach

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 04:36:49 AM »
I think the pharma model is closer.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 05:41:59 AM »
I think the pharma model is closer.
Sure, get a bunch of people addicted to surfing!  Then, jack up the price of wax ;D

supthecreek

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 11:50:10 AM »
From the trending out there, maybe he should build a "Foil Ranch"  ;)

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 01:08:36 PM »
about 40mins from me a wave pool will be open this time next year and will be able to host up to 84 surfers per hour across six surfing zones. I wonder what the cost will be for casual and full membership rides?

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 02:01:57 PM »

It will be interesting to see how this price develops. I would assume if takes a lot of energy to pull the wave sled to create the wave. You can easily place the wave pools in areas that have a lower cost.

So I think if they make the pool circular you could do ongoing / eternal waves. You'd have to either make sure it is broken into multiple waves or instigate rules for how long one could be on a wave.

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 02:19:44 PM »

It will be interesting to see how this price develops. I would assume if takes a lot of energy to pull the wave sled to create the wave. You can easily place the wave pools in areas that have a lower cost.

So I think if they make the pool circular you could do ongoing / eternal waves. You'd have to either make sure it is broken into multiple waves or instigate rules for how long one could be on a wave.

Okay, I'm calling it right now.......I call operating the bean bag gun - that'll get the sons of bitches off!   ;D ;D ;D
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2018, 02:49:46 PM »
I think that would be my job! ;D

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2018, 02:52:14 PM »
https://www.theinertia.com/surf/we-surfed-kelly-slaters-surf-ranch-and-we-have-feelings/

Until they can make it all rights, I'm not interested.
Make paddleboarding great again!

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2018, 03:57:51 PM »
https://www.theinertia.com/surf/we-surfed-kelly-slaters-surf-ranch-and-we-have-feelings/

Until they can make it all rights, I'm not interested.
But riding backside is an art form, anybody can be a doodler.
Some art, as drawn by Tati West (Tatiana Weston-Webb), even though it's on a right.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 03:59:45 PM by Weasels wake »

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2018, 05:08:24 PM »

Okay, I'm calling it right now.......I call operating the bean bag gun - that'll get the sons of bitches off!   ;D ;D ;D

I'm thinking this is its own business right here. Pay to hit-a-kook. It would offset the cost of surfing. Might be worth it?

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2018, 02:53:03 PM »
Agree Taut....that's funny!  However, I know if I'm in the water I'd be an easy target!   :o
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal