Author Topic: Ski the World  (Read 4520 times)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ski the World
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 10:28:56 AM »
Very cool.

Keep at it.

In one of the more freeride ski resorts of the Alps, get up early and take the first lifts and you’ll be outnumbered by guys in their 70’s and 80’s. Just out to rip it up for a few runs before they get their day on.

60’s are still ripping gnarl.

Better than that if you’re out in the backcountry you run into them all the time. Along with whole kid’s classes out skinning up to shred some pow. 10 year olds.

It’s only a mindset what you’re capable of.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 10:31:41 AM by yugi »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 10:29:54 AM »
At 54, I still do this and a few other various aerial moves. Same thing on my mountain bike. I just can't pass up a jump.

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 10:42:55 AM »
Classic spread-eagle!  Nicely done TD ;D

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2018, 11:01:40 AM »
I'm 70 and snowboard 20 days a year and don't think I'm anything special. I think overall that snowboarding is a bit gentler on your body, both are problems when you run into a tree though.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2018, 11:14:40 AM »
I've had 1/2 my vestibular system removed along with a brain tumor back in 2009. I can still ski....but i never know when my head is going to go left. Unfortunately going fast, especially on a narrow trail brings on vertigo. Skiing slow....why bother? When my head goes south....falling into the water on a SUP....no big deal...doing 40 mph into the trees.... :P. I have days I can't drive a car...sucks but it is what it is. I'm lucky I can SUP frankly.

Hear you.  But sounds like you have a great family net very close to your heart and one or more grandkids.  For us -> looking forward to grandkids someday to spoil silly.  Will be payback for us.  Yep that is our next phase .... but  the kids need to move out first!

Haha!  We love our kids.  And told them they can stay as long as they need -> to build a good solid cash reserve.  Should be ok as we have lucked out how easy it has been raising them to adulthood.  One is a gear and one will be a nurse next year.  So jobs a plenty for both of them.

But hey -> as long as you can SUP you are good.  Has been super fun and so relaxing for us.  Especially on warm summer afternoons puttin around with friends.  With wine and cheese or a beer and chips after.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 11:22:30 AM »
youre an inspiration, stones---we all gon get serious challenges, just a matter of time--gotta keep being (heart, soul, and activity) and you are doing so
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 01:39:24 PM »
I applaud all of you who get out on the water at any age, and give a standing ovation to those 70+ still doing it, and those with physical/medical concerns that others like them with similar ailments would simply find the couch as the recreational vehicle of choice.

Hate to say it, but sometimes I'm embarrassed that I let my laziness, and procrastination get the better of me, and I stay home for no good stinking reason...when I know many who have it a lot tougher than I do are down there tearing it up, and not letting anything stop them.

That goes for all you hearty souls SUPing in waters so cold that I'd nary stick a toe into, much less jump into regardless of the amount of rubber I have wrapped around my body. Hats off to you gentleman (and women), I'm in awe of your love, and dedication to the sport you must really love to do that. Kudos.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2018, 01:56:09 PM »
I like going fast but it's not the end all for me that it is my bro...and even he has slowed down some... :). My other interests are far more sedate and I'll be able to do most of those until I croak. I don't see SUP stopping anytime soon anyway. Surfing is fast enough for me these days. I'm also going to add back in some stuff I used to love that are less stress on the body too. I'm gong to start doing some spearfishing again this year. Great spots all around me....another thing Pono taught me to do...only something like 52 years ago.... ;D

Grandkids are great...we have one and another on the way. When we moved from our old house our oldest daughter and our granddaughter stayed. I miss having them living with us. It's great being a couple again (my wife is one of the reasons I'm a very lucky man) but it's awful quiet and I miss doing grampy school every night. Only 10 minutes away though so we still at see her a lot. #2 coming in June...should keep us busy too.

Thanks EB..I've heard that before but still don't understand it or feel it. I lucked into this...lots have been dealt far harsher hands than I...most in fact. It has been cause for lots of introspection. I was in a downward spiral for awhile but realization of just how lucky I am changed that. And Eagle is right..my family deserves most of the credit...including my bro. Like you said...everyone has challenges...how lucky am I that SUP is therapy for mine.

The cold isn't as bad as you might think Sano and I'm pretty sure we all get lazy too...I'm very good at it in fact....just ask my wife.... ;)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 02:01:00 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard