Author Topic: How to “Pump” a Standup surf board?  (Read 8461 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: How to “Pump” a Standup surf board?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 10:35:24 AM »
I rarely (maybe never) pump on takeoff. I tend to run to the nose when I'm feeling the wave get away and try to kick the board in, paddling like a maniac. I'm certain it looks elegant. Of course, once you catch the wave you need to get back in a flash or you'll be a submarine. The biggest improvement to my SUP surfing came from learning to cross-step and then applying it to be a lot more fluid in moving around the board. If you can't cross-step and you shuffle from the side by side foot position then every time you move on the board you tilt it side to side. That fucks up everything. Cross-stepping isn't just pretty, it moves your weight down the center of the board so you don't dig rails with every move. That's critical to moving around in a big, critical wave. You can get away with shuffling in little stuff, but darting around uncontrollably in a double overhead wave is just asking for it. At the very least, do your shuffling with both feet on the stringer. I still do plenty of shuffling, since cross-stepping isn't automatic for me, but I do it in the middle of the board.

That bias for moving down the middle of the board comes in handy for learning to foil. I'm comfortable with my both feet on the stringer and my front foot in the strap. The mental notion of kicking the board into the wave works too. There's a point in going for a wave with a foil where you feel the foil "release" which just means the AOA is minimal and the drag is decreased. Shoving forward with my feet when I feel that guarantees a catch. I don't always feel it, but when I do it always works--unless I fall.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 10:37:06 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 10:53:47 AM »
I tend to run to the nose when I'm feeling the wave get away and try to kick the board in, paddling like a maniac. I'm certain it looks elegant. Of course, once you catch the wave you need to get back in a flash or you'll be a submarine.
Yes, same as mentioned above, but with the "pump/hop/paddle" to lighten the board on the pull phase, and then "kick the board in", and scramble back like a mutha the second you do get in. Definitely "elegant" I'm told...or maybe that's just what I think I'm hearing.  :o :D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 11:37:59 AM »
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 11:44:29 AM by seadart »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 12:41:31 PM »
all I seem to get is a bit of a wiggle up and down the wave and no increase in speed.

Cheers

Bob
Part of this was only partly mentioned, but If you have a board with too much rocker and a thin tail you'll just end up with a wiggle in small waves. You need a flatter, shorter board with a more volume to really build speed in small waves. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 01:17:28 PM »
all I seem to get is a bit of a wiggle up and down the wave and no increase in speed.

Cheers

Bob
Part of this was only partly mentioned, but If you have a board with too much rocker and a thin tail you'll just end up with a wiggle in small waves. You need a flatter, shorter board with a more volume to really build speed in small waves.

Hence the fun of L41 Sims shape and my surprising ability to make the long run at Ricon on it where any of my other boards would be turned out or on the rocks.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 05:01:49 PM »
OK...just watched Beasho's vid. That's what I'm talking about when I think pumping. And I was thinking about how and when I do it...it's not so much as I'm paddling for a wave but usually just after I've caught it. It works best when you're already headed downhill of course. I think it may also be one of the few things in SUP where being big is an advantage. When I weight and unweight.....it's a LOT of weighting and unweighting....  ;D.

I'm going to have to consciously think about how and when I do it next time. I don't do it like the shortboarder in the vid...it's usually just a few quick pumps to get some extra speed then maintain with paddle or use it to turn...whatever.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 11:44:50 AM »
I do this as well (or similar), but include or time it with short quick paddle strokes to make the wave. To me, it feels as more as just taking weight off of, or lightening the board during the "pull" of a stroke, that seems to allow the board, and myself to jettison forward just a little more than if I just stayed standing on the board, and plowed it through the water with my full weight on the board at all times. When it looks like I'll get in, on the last stroke and lift, I'll push the board forward into the wave with my legs/feet, and push/pull myself forward onto with that last pull of the paddle...sort of like reaching out, and grabbing a fixed pole while on a skateboard, and pulling yourself forward with it...same thing/feel but with the paddle instead.

Similar to Sano,  I do it on the wave catch, not always but when its borderline getting away from me.   It seems similar to pumping a windsurfer sail,  unweighting while you paddle pull.   JP

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2018, 08:31:44 AM »
Do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsDKW_ZDaLo

With all seriousness SUP's are longer than shortboards.  This means that the cyclic speed of the hop is going to be slower.  I have successfully used the HOP method on my SUP but only for 10' and shorter SUP's typically when I am hovering 50/50 trying to get into a medium to large wave >> 8 feet.

This clip is TOO funny!!!!

summer surf season is upon us and the ass wigglers and Hoppers will be smashing the face of mushy knee high waves...oh the entertainment!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal