Author Topic: Ski the World  (Read 4497 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Ski the World
« on: March 11, 2018, 07:17:33 PM »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ski the World
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 04:04:05 AM »
yep

All conditions are perfect conditions

https://youtu.be/XLGpQ5TzAio

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 09:13:27 AM »
You just have to have the right wax.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 09:23:22 AM »
You just have to have the right wax.

Yes, and lots of it! ;D 

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 09:48:38 AM »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 10:24:50 AM »
I skiied grass almost 50 years ago on the hills in the park near my house but this is just nuts....very cool but I won't be surprised to hear of his death doing this someday. The margin for error is so slim and the consequences severe. Gonads the size of watermelons....or just nutz.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 10:51:13 AM »
^ this is part of his career where he’s pretty much retired and just playing around picking up a new activity in filming. Just to give you an idea of how nuts he's been.

But yes, complete with new dangers…
https://youtu.be/wLLFwgzN6Oo
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 10:56:16 AM by yugi »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 11:06:05 AM »
The good thing is that he's packed a lot of life into living. We should all be so lucky.
Bob

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 11:32:25 AM »
For those of you who don’t know Candide …

He broke his back 10 years ago and was told by Dr’s to not ski again. So he skied backcountry pow as rehab for a season and was feeling pretty good so did these events the following year. You know, to kind of take it easy.  Not to stress his back too hard. Quote: to take a year off jumping.

Winning the overall word tour (3rd in this final event; blue suit yellow left arm. It's him at 1:16. It's steep where he was.)
   https://youtu.be/TRFbEB_6WKA

And this
  https://youtu.be/uNQrWhxiYms

As one does. Just for fun.

He has a bit of limp but, yes, always smiling.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 11:50:34 AM by yugi »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 11:56:23 AM »
I skiied grass almost 50 years ago on the hills in the park near my house but this is just nuts....very cool but I won't be surprised to hear of his death doing this someday. The margin for error is so slim and the consequences severe. Gonads the size of watermelons....or just nutz.
Was up on the mountain yesterday morning with my race SB hard setup -> then took out my AS after lunch with a few friends.  After watching that video of Candide taking crazy risky lines -> thought best that he do that and not ever me.  Just not worth a broken back or whatever.  Makes for some good footage tho.

Was bad enough for me sliding backwards down a very steep icy black groomed run backwards on my butt after losing my heel edge getting airborne.  Slid for around 50m before rotating around and continuing.  Tweaked my right shoulder in the process by dragging my hand to rotate myself.  Nothing like hitting a rock and rag-dolling on solid ground tho.  So yes was fun to watch -> kinda like Danny on a bike.  But have enough thrills a plenty already.  Shoulder is still not back to normal -> but should be 100% in another day or so.  The low impact SUP paddling actually did help to keep it from seizing up too much.

Makes you really ask yourself if it is worth it at this age to go all out and risk very serious injury -> or stay in relative control.  For some reason always seem to pushing the envelope.  Must be the adrenalin junkie.  Still go way too fast on a SB and way too fast on skis.  Gotta cut back on the risks at this age.  Not worth a broken back.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 03:40:54 PM »
Did this till 26....

...tried this at 36....

..and now trying to do this at 58 (not me unfortunately :-[)...

...for whatever ridiculous reason(s) my wife just doesn't understand. :o

All just part of the aging but never growing up process I guess. ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 03:55:28 PM »
Haha!  Like your pics.  Still do these 2 activities as well.  But prefer to be self-propelled vs wind or ICE powered.  This is me racing singlehanded on our ULDB race boat with the kite up -> and my son doing a timed run at the track in my Boxster S when he was 16.  Fun times.  Yeah.  Fast is Fun!  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 04:37:23 PM »
At 60 I'm trying to find the balance of keeping it moving, still getting some adrenaline occasionally, and being able to move the next day..... :).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 04:48:44 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 09:47:18 AM »
Yep.  Oddly know a few guys well into their 60s and a couple in their 70s that still ski.  They told me the key for them was to go 3x per week.  Said it kept them mobile and in shape.

Their techniques were still good.  Just their speed and risk taking less.  So no bumps or steeps or jumps.  Still look to have a lot of fun tho.

Was up yesterday on skis and shoulder was all good.  Is warming up here now as the sun turns the snow spring slushy once temps get above zero.  Not 60 just yet -> but gettin close.  :)
Fast is FUN!   8)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 10:00:03 AM »
I've had 1/2 my vestibular system removed along with a brain tumor back in 2009. I can still ski....but i never know when my head is going to go left. Unfortunately going fast, especially on a narrow trail brings on vertigo. Skiing slow....why bother? When my head goes south....falling into the water on a SUP....no big deal...doing 40 mph into the trees.... :P. I have days I can't drive a car...sucks but it is what it is. I'm lucky I can SUP frankly.
Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal